Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I've noticed a more-than-expected number of 1998 Sports Illustrated 'First Edition' 1/1s popping up lately. The seller who has been selling them is also selling a large number of proofs from all sports.

I don't want to give the seller any unnecessary or uncalled for issues, but since the difference between 'Extra Edition' and 'First Edition' parallels is just some simple text on the back of the card... and because the seller has a bunch of proofs (and possibly access to a printer?)... would anyone else have any concerns about the 1/1s?

Example

Proofs - can search on completed 1/1s

Like I said I'm not coming out and saying the seller is doing anything wrong, but anyone else find this unusual? Is it normal for the stamp on front of the card to say 'Extra Edition' for 'First Edition' parallels?

I offered on a couple Cardinals but his prices are a bit high for that insert.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Yes, it looks like the First Editions do say "Extra Edition" on front, with the purple "The Only 1 of 1 First Edition" stamp on back; there's a scan of one here: Brett Butler Collection - Fleer

Seller has some other very intriguing stuff. If those other proofs are all legit, they're probably a steal at the $1 BINs he has on them.

It might just be me but I am starting to stay away from all these "proof" cards.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
It might just be me but I am starting to stay away from all these "proof" cards.

I'd avoid the paper printout stuff, but if these are actual fully-formed cards, I'd go for them (the ones that are $1 BIN, at least). I paid more than $1 for the issued version of the Thome GU he has, and I'm sure the proofs are a hell of a lot more scarce.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Thank you, Santa Calfas!

rustygreerfan-albums-super-sweet-90-s-cards-picture10337-rusty-greer-1998-totally-gold-psa-9.JPG

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I've noticed a more-than-expected number of 1998 Sports Illustrated 'First Edition' 1/1s popping up lately. The seller who has been selling them is also selling a large number of proofs from all sports.

I don't want to give the seller any unnecessary or uncalled for issues, but since the difference between 'Extra Edition' and 'First Edition' parallels is just some simple text on the back of the card... and because the seller has a bunch of proofs (and possibly access to a printer?)... would anyone else have any concerns about the 1/1s?

Example

Proofs - can search on completed 1/1s

Like I said I'm not coming out and saying the seller is doing anything wrong, but anyone else find this unusual? Is it normal for the stamp on front of the card to say 'Extra Edition' for 'First Edition' parallels?

I bought a 1998 Fleer Trent Dilfer with no foil stamping from this seller and it was a legit card, not one of the paper proofs. I've also got a couple of similar no foil/blank back type variations out of Topps Gold Label on the way from the same seller, so he doesn't just have a pile of Fleer bankruptcy/backdoor stuff. He seems to specialize in those types of cards.

With that being said, if I saw a seller with a bunch of Fleer 1/1s pop up I'd have to assume they were factory replacements that got out after the bankruptcy, so there's actually at least 2 of these "1/1s" out there, and bid accordingly.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle

I want to preface this post by saying that no one did anything wrong, there are no issues, and I am NOT complaining about anyone or any cards. But this card is a perfect example of something that annoys me.

I love the 90 with a passion. Everything about the hobby for me personally stems from collecting early in my life, and even though I was collecting in the 80's, it really was the 90's that is the root of the passion as a player collector!!. For me the 80's and 90's rare cards always relates to being a player collector, so when I see a player collector with a great card, I get all warm and fuzzy inside. THe cards have a special glow, an aura. Angels sing and dance above said card. But when I see a rare card being shown off of guy that no one cares about, I am annoyed. Why would anyone show off a card of a nobody? If there is no connection to the player (even a set collector I can live with) it's just a common. A set filler. I know we need commons to make our players harder to get. They have their place, but not to be shown off!?! A 1997 Mirror Gold of a nobody in not interesting to me at all. They are actually dull, and dingy. An instant winner of Vinny Castilla is just nonsensical. IT's a common. No better than a blank filler card. But when it is attached to a collector, then I just have a totally different feeling about it.

2wrigley

Aug 7, 2008
'90s gents! Anyone have any leads to these 3 oldest Albert Belle cards for my PC? I've only see a few promo panels on eBay but none had the Belle :(
1. 1990 Indians Team Issue
2. 1992 Panini Stickers French
3. 1992 Score/Pinnacle Promo Panels

PM sent on the 1992 Panini French.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
I want to preface this post by saying that no one did anything wrong, there are no issues, and I am NOT complaining about anyone or any cards. But this card is a perfect example of something that annoys me.

I love the 90 with a passion. Everything about the hobby for me personally stems from collecting early in my life, and even though I was collecting in the 80's, it really was the 90's that is the root of the passion as a player collector!!. For me the 80's and 90's rare cards always relates to being a player collector, so when I see a player collector with a great card, I get all warm and fuzzy inside. THe cards have a special glow, an aura. Angels sing and dance above said card. But when I see a rare card being shown off of guy that no one cares about, I am annoyed. Why would anyone show off a card of a nobody? If there is no connection to the player (even a set collector I can live with) it's just a common. A set filler. I know we need commons to make our players harder to get. They have their place, but not to be shown off!?! A 1997 Mirror Gold of a nobody in not interesting to me at all. They are actually dull, and dingy. An instant winner of Vinny Castilla is just nonsensical. IT's a common. No better than a blank filler card. But when it is attached to a collector, then I just have a totally different feeling about it.

Easiest thing to do about that is just move along to the next post and ignore the one that seems to annoy you so much ;)

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Yeah, more cards of a TRUE superstar - Tim "Rock" Raines

Members online