Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I thought I understood ebay searches, but...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Yes, I think parentheses are useless. Don't know for sure as I have never tried, but I think they are ignored.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Really? Then adding parentheses is useless?

No, the parentheses function as an 'OR' argument, he is mistake.

My guess is that when you use 'OR' it doesn't search in descriptions by default, only title. Your first search returns "Barry Bonds-1993 Stadium Club Super Teams Master Photo" , the 3rd newest item. It doesn't contain 'Topps' in the title but in the description. This item doesn't appear in the (Topps [OR] 2002) search leading me to the above thesis.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
No, the parentheses function as an 'OR' argument, he is mistake.

My guess is that when you use 'OR' it doesn't search in descriptions by default, only title. Your first search returns "Barry Bonds-1993 Stadium Club Super Teams Master Photo" , the 3rd newest item. It doesn't contain 'Topps' in the title but in the description. This item doesn't appear in the (Topps [OR] 2002) search leading me to the above thesis.
Ok, I see you're right about the Bonds with no topps in the title.

however, when I expanded both searches to include description, the first search got 1361 hits, while the second got 10595 hits, results that I would expect.

so does ths mean that ebay has certain terms that they automatically search for in the description, e.g. "Topps"?

interesting

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Yes, I think parentheses are useless. Don't know for sure as I have never tried, but I think they are ignored.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
I missed this post originally, but they are certainly not totally useless. I do searches with (autograph,signed) quite often and get hits with one and not the other frequently.

there is something else at work in my example above, but I don't know what it is.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Everything within parenthesis is treated as OR. So (auto,autograph,signed,autographs) will turn up any of those results. Within quotes is treated as exact. So if you weren't sure of say spacing, you could do (racecar,"race car") and get all results for both. You can also drop the "-" if front of the parenthesis to exclude all options therein.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Everything within parenthesis is treated as OR. So (auto,autograph,signed,autographs) will turn up any of those results. Within quotes is treated as exact. So if you weren't sure of say spacing, you could do (racecar,"race car") and get all results for both. You can also drop the "-" if front of the parenthesis to exclude all options therein.

Cool, that's what I thought.

Do you have any thoughts on the discrepancy above? Why, given what you have said, would a search using the parentheses give FEWER results than a search using only one of the terms within and no parentheses?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Might it have something to do with some sellers checking the "Topps" checkbox under their item's "Item Specifics" section for manufacturer when listing? Therefore "Topps" may not be in the title but it is technically listed as such so those results are returned? Just a thought maybe I'm wrong

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Might it have something to do with some sellers checking the "Topps" checkbox under their item's "Item Specifics" section for manufacturer when listing? Therefore "Topps" may not be in the title but it is technically listed as such so those results are returned? Just a thought maybe I'm wrong

I think you might be right here. The Bonds card example above did not have topps in the title or typed description, but it did have topps checked as part of the Item Specifics. This is the most rational explanation and, if true, could be useful information for people maxing out their titles when selling.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Interesting thread since I am now selling a few odd ball things and do try and include item specifics in the EBAY description fields. Some times a pain to fill the fields in but hopefully worth it in some small way.

Really stupid they did away with the * wildcard. I never updated some old searches and know I miss some things (auto*, sign*) versus (auto, autographed, autograph, autographs, signed, signature, signatures).

2wrigley

Aug 7, 2008
If the parentheses are treated strictly as an OR function by the search engine, and not as an AND/OR, that would explain it. It would be excluding results that include BOTH terms within the parentheses. Not sure if that is actually what is happening, but OR is different from AND/OR from a logical standpoint.

Robert

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
If the parentheses are treated strictly as an OR function by the search engine, and not as an AND/OR, that would explain it. It would be excluding results that include BOTH terms within the parentheses. Not sure if that is actually what is happening, but OR is different from AND/OR from a logical standpoint.

Robert
I believe it is and/or

Members online

Latest posts