Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Braves to face significant punishment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
That's a steep punishment and in all likelihood there will be more. They may not be able to sign international prospects in the coming years too.

Now I'm really curious of all the rules that Coppy (or Braves organization) broke. Must have been severe.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Someone tell me what happened in short form that caused these punishments.

Seems like the Braves are going to be punished more severely for whatever they did than the Cardinals were for Hack-Gate.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Someone tell me what happened in short form that caused these punishments.

Seems like the Braves are going to be punished more severely for whatever they did than the Cardinals were for Hack-Gate.

Our GM was offering bribes to potential draft picks and giving money to international prospects who were 16 or younger so that they would sign with the Braves. At least these are the current rumors. Could be more involved.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Our GM was offering bribes to potential draft picks and giving money to international prospects who were 16 or younger so that they would sign with the Braves. At least these are the current rumors. Could be more involved.

The penalties are really going to suck but they are probably fair as well. Would Maitan have signed with the Braves if Coppy hadnt been cheating? I doubt it.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
SS Livan Soto and RHP Yefri del Rosario added to the list.

And Badler says more to come.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
WHOA!

Jeff Passan reports the Braves are to lose 12 players. Plus, significant restrictions in 2019-20 and 2020-21 international classes. They won't be allowed to sign 14-yo SS Robert Puason, considered the top player in the 2019 class, with whom they'd allegedly struck a deal with. Finally, they'll lose a 3rd round pick in next year's draft for offering inducements to a player. (Waters?)

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
WHOA!

Jeff Passan reports the Braves are to lose 12 players. Plus, significant restrictions in 2019-20 and 2020-21 international classes. They won't be allowed to sign 14-yo SS Robert Puason, considered the top player in the 2019 class, with whom they'd allegedly struck a deal with. Finally, they'll lose a 3rd round pick in next year's draft for offering inducements to a player. (Waters?)

I bet it's Waters. Just saw this on MLBTR too. Wow...they really screwed up big time. No wonder John Hart jumped ship. He saw the Leviathan coming.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Just imagine if this had happened to an organization such as the Angels or Marlins. They would be truly crippled.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The penalties are really going to suck but they are probably fair as well. Would Maitan have signed with the Braves if Coppy hadnt been cheating? I doubt it.

I can't speak to the fairness of the punishment as I don't know the extent of the corruption Coppy brought upon this organization but most Braves fans expected to lose Maitan. However, you do have to keep in mind what was quoted in the article,

"As the investigation into the Braves unfolded, executives around baseball agreed that other teams disregard the rules in similar fashion to Atlanta. The Braves were simply the ones caught."

Oh well, now it's time for the organization to take it's licks. I'm just happy we didn't lose Acuna.

I bet it's Waters. Just saw this on MLBTR too. Wow...they really screwed up big time. No wonder John Hart jumped ship. He saw the Leviathan coming.

And the severity of the penalties go beyond merely losing players and facing restrictions going forward: Between the signing bonuses and penalties for exceeding their bonus pool, the Braves will have paid well over $20 million to players who no longer are part of their organization. :eek:

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I can't speak to the fairness of the punishment as I don't know the extent of the corruption Coppy brought upon this organization but most Braves fans expected to lose Maitan. However, you do have to keep in mind what was quoted in the article,

"As the investigation into the Braves unfolded, executives around baseball agreed that other teams disregard the rules in similar fashion to Atlanta. The Braves were simply the ones caught."

Oh well, now it's time for the organization to take it's licks. I'm just happy we didn't lose Acuna.

And the severity of the penalties go beyond merely losing players and facing restrictions going forward: Between the signing bonuses and penalties for exceeding their bonus pool, the Braves will have paid well over $20 million to players who no longer are part of their organization. :eek:

Yeah this is harsh. Not being able to spend more than 10K on a player will cripple them.

Rabs

Jan 25, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL
As a die hard Braves fan this news really hurts. We got rid of everyone practically a few years ago and were a terrible team. Have had 3 losing seasons in a row and were expected to be competitive again at this point. Now we lose a bunch of really solid prospects that were projected to help the MLB squad and now won't and we get nothing in return. The only silver lining is that we didn't lose Acuna.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
DA0FB099-CC67-43E6-AF9D-275DD4AA2B7D.png

It’s brutal to lose so many prospects and be limited in future signing periods.
I’m thinking the league is making an example of the Braves. I wonder how many violations they would find if they dig deeper league-wide.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
The 12 former Braves prospects are now free to sign with anyone. Team will have an extra $200K to spend plus whatever pool money they have left.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Another former Braves prospect has agreed to a deal with a new team. Source: Shortstop Livan Soto has agreed to a $850K deal with the Angels. The Angels have also agreed to a $2.2M deal with Kevin Maitan. @MLBPipeline

#fakenews. Sorry :/

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts