Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone feel Topps Opening Day is getting changing for the worse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I usually end up buying completed sets of all the base topps stuff(factory set and then get a completed update set) as well as heritage, GQ, A&G, and Bowman. But Topps Opening Day is one of the few sets I actively bust packs to build (been doing a lot more wax busting of basketball lately because really, there is so much more value IMO). That said, they have made it to where it's pretty impossible to build a master set anymore without dropping some serious money. There have always been tougher than normal inserts and at times the collation sucked. But with the SP's getting harder to find and more expensive, it's kind of killing the only reason I open baseball product anymore. I also do the stickers but they have gotten so cheap with the sticker books now it's kind of losing it's appeal. Panini does a much better job with their sticker albums. Anybody else kinda bummed they have made topps opening day a now expensive set to finish? Does anyone here even collect opening day? I guess topps felt the need to put things in it that would cause people to bust it like crazy. I'd much rather them just put some really low numbered auto's of the top players in it and I'd be fine without going after those.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
While I like the idea of opening day (low price point per pack, bring kids into the hobby) I haven't bought it in a while. They just don't appeal to me for some reason. I can see player collectors wanting them as they sometimes have nice variations.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I think they should drop opening day and replace it with Bunt. Have Bunt as their low price offering as it coincides with the app and most kids know about apps and how to use them.

Fordman

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Freedom Card Board mobile app

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
The only thing I ever remember liking about Opening Day was the one year they had the first Casey MacGhee auto in Brewers uniform.

That could still be their notch: obscure autographs.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
the only "opening day" i collect is mascots and I buy a complete set of those so I don't have to bust opening day to build it. I'll have to check the checklist and see if mascots are back in 2017 or not.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
the only "opening day" i collect is mascots and I buy a complete set of those so I don't have to bust opening day to build it. I'll have to check the checklist and see if mascots are back in 2017 or not.

Unless I'm losing my mind, I think they have been in every single opening day release for quite a while.

And guys, I know I'm probably in the minority when it comes to opening day but I just don't feel like it needed to be bothered. Adding things to it that makes building all the other sets topps puts out a nightmare was something they didn't need to do.

Members online