Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Built a player website? Know websites? Share your thoughts and recommendations!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I did mine from scratch using Microsoft Expression, part of MS Office. It's pretty simple and fairly clean-cut, which is how I like it, and I'm constantly evolving as I learn no tricks and have better ideas. It's a constant work in progress. I just do as much or as little as I feel like in one sitting, then upload the changes, rinse and repeat as time goes by.

If you can use MS Word or Excel, you can use Expression. It's got a similar layout, and pretty easy to learn as you go.

www.cardmagnet.info

The best part about doing your own site is that you have no limits or mandatory templates. If you can think it and don't mind doing a little research, you can do anything wit your site that your heart desires.

You also have total control over small things like naming files/pages and doing your own page descriptions and tags, for SEO purposes.

I use DreamHost for my unlimited web hosting and would recommend them. I also use them to host my online card shop that I started up (www.TheCardAlbum.com) and it functions very well on their servers. They have a special right now that you can get 1 year of unlimited hosting for under $20, and that includes a free .com registration.

As mentioned above, having your own site does help bring in some collectors and sellers you might not otherwise meet. I've actually had a couple of athletes contact me thanks to seeing my site, and have had a few retweet or write back to me when I show off a link to their page. It's a pretty cool way to connect yourself to not only those in the hobby, but those the hobby circles around.

Last edited:

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
I just registered as well, but can't figure out how to do anything beyond adding a few players to "My Collections." From there, i'm stuck...

Thanks for the info! I registered on pclist. I'll start familiarizing myself with the site and see if it's a good fit for my collection. Thanks!

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I just registered as well, but can't figure out how to do anything beyond adding a few players to "My Collections." From there, i'm stuck...

If you click their name, it should have any cards of them by year. Can add them to pending, owned and such. Each player should have an admin that can add/edit info.

This notice is required by law.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
Site links

Weebly: www.weebly.com

Wix: www.wix.com

I'm torn from a quick view. Weebly is much easier to understand how it all works and Wix makes you dig a little. Unsure about the bandwidth question.

I have a domain, so that's not a factor for me. I'd spend $100/year, no problem, now to pick which site and run with it I guess...

Well Weebly is free. Flikr is free. A domain name will cost you $16 a year, maybe.
So that's all I spend annually. I know how to design a site, so I don't need drag and drop.
If you are willing to put in some effort then it doesn't cost that much.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
Some HTML. I think it's a little dated though. Whatever I didn't know how to do, I Googled for the code command.

Yes Google is a wonderful thing. Even the best developers use it often.
CSS is insanely powerful and can do wondrous client-side applications.
I think you were trying to create a site if I remember correctly.
Odds are you wouldn't need to learn any true code, only script.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I was going to, but PCList pretty much has everything I was wanting to do. I used to have a spreadsheet that had my serial numbered and a few other Rickey guys too. This is better than I could do and I can edit this if needed. I may make a site for my jerseys. Basically a PB album with details of each jersey and such.

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
I built a site to showcase my Frank Thomas collection at http://www.radimuseum.com/
I've still got a long way to go in terms of uploading scans but you should enjoy the 1996-1998 portfolios as they each have over 100 images to date.
Home>Gallery>Frank Thomas>1996/1997/1998

VPS, Self-hosted WordPress CMS
This option isn't cheap but it's fully scalable, responsive, and has great SEO.
You get what you pay for.

Last edited:

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
For thepclist.com If you want the ability to modify cards for your guy, PM me your user ID you registered with and the players you collect and I'll grant you access. It's an invite only for administration for awhile to prevent random people from coming in and terrorizing the information we upload.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Anyone here hire someone to build their site or help build their site? Just curious.

If so, pass along any names and/or details regarding experience, feedback or most importantly price paid for services?

I've been contacted to help me with this process and I'll have to admit that I'm looking to do it myself and have fun with it but just curious if anyone did go the route of hiring someone, etc.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Back before I was plagued with medical issues, I ran a fansite for Tony Clark. I'd like to get back into collecting but haven't had the time unfortunately.

tony-clark.png

Members online