Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will Clark Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spike

Oct 22, 2013
Finally added this one:

IMG_0962.jpg

Here's what I have (minus a few squares in another box somewhere). Am I missing any???

IMG_0961.jpg

Merry Christmas!!!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Hey all, been away for what seems like forever. I know I haven't responded to some communication I need to still attend to. Life got the better part of me in 2016, so hoping 2017 gets a lil better and let's me enjoy collecting again. Joel, nice addition. I almost grabbed the disc as I wasn't sure I had a sealed one. Glad u added it. If I get a chance I'll compare ur pic to see what you may still need. Hope everyone is doing good and I still like seeing others new pick ups.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Happy new year to you Josh and the others as well. Here is an addition, from a collection of Chrome/Finest type stuff. It's a test of 1995 BBest, luckily for the PC, Will was included.

5f6dce7160cc5b273c4e5077329e4cfa.jpg

Ryan

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
Finally added this one:

View attachment 66375

Here's what I have (minus a few squares in another box somewhere). Am I missing any???

View attachment 66376

Merry Christmas!!!

Man do I love those discs. I had a long-running thread on the PSA message board discussing them and my hunt to complete the run. Unfortunately, most of the images are now dead, but here's a link: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/527620/question-about-late-80s-tea-discs

Those discs are some of the cool issues which player collectors appreciate and value to an extent which far outstrips any common price guide or general value. There are discs I would have spent $25 or $50 to acquire but were just as likely to go for a $.99 minimum bid. Cool stuff!

Drew

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Happy new year to you Josh and the others as well. Here is an addition, from a collection of Chrome/Finest type stuff. It's a test of 1995 BBest, luckily for the PC, Will was included.

5f6dce7160cc5b273c4e5077329e4cfa.jpg

Ryan

Wow. I would think this is one of those "make other Clark collectors cry" cards. Congratulations!

Spike

Oct 22, 2013
IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

I have seen this "Fransisco" error before, but the coin was in a lot better shape. Sadly, I missed out on it. I went ahead and bid on this one since I'm a big fan of silver. Do any of you have an extra that's in better shape that you might be willing to part with?

Speaking of these types of coins, Enviromint made a 3-coin set in 1995, I believe. I have seen it twice, once when I was a poor teenager, and the other in the EBay "sold" section. I have one of the loose coins from that set, but I'd love to snag the complete set at some point.

Hope everyone is doing great!!!

Onions

Dec 8, 2014
North Dakota
I've always been a fan of Will Clark. As a kid all of these guys seemed like superheroes, but Clark stood out a little more for me and a buddy of mine.

In 1991, my friend and I were 11 years old. Baseball was pretty much all we thought about. My mom had a friend/co-worker (I will just call him Henry), who was as crazy about baseball as we were and he would come and play baseball, coach us bit and even talk baseball cards with us from time to time. He also told us something that had us drooling all over our baseball gloves. He happened to be very good friends with a certain San Francisco Giants player.....no, not The Thrill.

Bud Black!

I think 1991 was Bud's first year with the Giants.

One day that spring/summer, Henry came to work and gave my mom a phone number. He said that Bud Black was on a road trip and gave him the number to the hotel that the team was staying at so that we could call and talk to him. This was HUGE. A real major leaguer wanted to talk to us!

So we gathered up our 3 phones, with as much phone cord running through the house as I have ever seen. We were able to extend the downstairs phone to the kitchen, and the upstairs phone to the bottom of the stairs. Life was tough when you didn't have cordless phones! So we used the instructions that Bud gave us to reach him and I doubt me and my buddy took a breath as my mom talked to the front desk attendant.

"Bud Blacks room? Sure, I will connect you" - Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring..... nothing, Damn. Bud wasn't there. Talk about being crushed.

I'm sure my mom was seeing the despair on our faces and I remember her saying "Well, the whole team is at the hotel; Are there any other players on the Giants you guys might want to talk to?" Well, duh. Will Clark, or Kevin Mitchell! Back to the phones...

Front desk lady - "I don't see a Kevin Mitchell....longest pause ever.....but Mr. Clark is, here you go" - Ring, ring, ri...Hello?

Bam! Will Clark! On the phone. With 2 kids from North Dakota! My mom introduced herself and how we ended up calling him. Then she introduced both of us. I don't remember everything that we talked about, but home runs, fastballs, World Series, and earthquakes were some of the big topics. He literally talked to us for 20 full minutes, and with my mom for another 5-10 mins afterwards. She couldn't believe how much time he gave us. Will Clark talked to us like we were long lost buddies, or kids of his own. It was incredible. Today I still find it hard to believe. My best Major League encounter ever, and it was over the phone.

So after the call I decided to try and write him and see if he would autograph a card through the mail for me. I wrote him a letter thanking him for the chat, I'm sure I included a few questions I missed out on asking him, and sent him a baseball card to sign. Waited a couple weeks before I became too anxious, then a month, then 2 months. Oh well, at least we got to talk to him.

Then a couple weeks after I gave up on getting the card back:

clark 001.jpg

No, not the most interesting card in the world, but I'm sure I didn't want to risk losing one of my others or something. Will ended up returning my exact card and hand writing a 2 page letter back to me and my mom. My mom still has the letter.

Sorry for the length of this post. Looks to be a few Will Clark guys here, so hopefully you enjoy my little experience with him.

djmilhaus

Sep 8, 2014
Seattle
Damn, that's really cool you got a chance to talk to him as kids! I'm a few years older but did some TTM stuff around the same time and he was a gracious signer TTM. I have probably 6 or 7 cards signed by Will that I still have in a binder in storage. Can't get rid of those memories. :)

Latest posts