Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

It's 1992 and you walk into your LCS ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
(This is all if you collected or bought cards then, or, even better, you were born.) You see Fleer Cello packs at $5/pack or more. You see Bowman Jumbo packs going for INSANE amounts (I remember WalMart had a 'repack' of packs w/2 Bowman Jumbo's and maybe 4 other packs for $30. I put two on layaway ... I was 12).

What are you thinking to yourself ? After years of Topps / Donruss / (not so many years) Score being $.35 - $.75 a pack, you are now bombarded with over $1 packs, including UD, Stadium Club, Ultra, Bowman, Fleer Cello & Pinnacle. What, if you can remember, were you thinking ?

I was stunned. I knew of inserts and all the value they held (and hoping to pull a Williams auto outta '92 Score, ha). But not having deep pockets and being 12, I wasn't too happy, knowing that this price was escalating and wouldn't be dropping at all any time soon.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Thinking like it's 1992......

Wow, what happened with Donruss packs, they doubled in price?
Cool, they look much nicer with gloss and even anti counterfeit water marks on back. Gotta be much more limited now.

Upper Deck is gonna rock! They have brien Taylor and Mike Kelly rookies!
(For the record, these two were on the initial cl but never made the cut. And yes, I remember being psyched they were "in it" )

Thankfully fleer dropped the mustard school bus look.

I want those gold cards found in topps packs! They look awesome!

What the?? How much is bowman? No thanks, that product sucks. Look at all the 89-91 bowman boxes you have stacked up.

Wow, ultra is incredible looking! Huge improvement over last year's, maybe set of the year!

Even though stadium club looks like XXXX, I'm going buy a lot of it. Not losing out like last year.....but why three series?

Hey, have any draft pick cards of that first rounder the yanks just drafted? Maybe one day he will take over for velarde.

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Why does Upper Deck always look the same?

Whoa... these Leaf Black Gold cards look awesome. Leaf is gnarly.

Studio is even better than last year. The double photos are sweet. Wish I could buy a box.

Stadium Club has really cool backs with the Rookie Cards shown, and the plate zone stats! Maybe I should join the Stadium Club Collectors Club thingy and get those member only sets. Ha - Members Only - will match my cool jacket.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I remember thinking the price was well worth the upgrade in quality. I scoffed when I saw packs of UD in 1989 for a buck each, but I had been out of collecting several years by then, and didn't actually come back until 1991. But when I did, I had a decent job, lots of disposable income, and was blown away by what cards were like just a couple years before. Compare something like 1992 Donruss or Fleer with their 1991 versions. You would think they were 20 years apart, not 1. Even at a buck a pack, it was still eminently affordable. They had to step up their game and they did. Then Fleer Ultra was drop-dead gorgeous. 1991 was bland but classy, and 1992 was like a rock star set, even if it smelled like turpentine.

That said, I'd buy all the 80s Fleer basketball I could find, and sift through every vintage (60s or older) card in the shop mintiest examples, carefully store them away, and wait for PSA to be founded and start their set registry. And I'd place ads in SCD to try to find the 71 Greatest Moments I will need to complete my set finally in the future.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Anyone got any Dave Nieds, Juan Guzman or Donovan Osborne cards? Damn, Steve Avery is going to be better than Smoltz or Glavine.

It wasn't such a big deal - it was a welcome sight to see high quality cards as opposed to the dreck Topps usually put out as it's flagship set - though admittedly I may not have had access to the 'hot' baseball card products of the day.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
In 1992 I'd be thinking "Hey, I just got divorced and can finally start buying baseball cards again! Where's the new stuff?":D

LOL!

For me: "Yes! Just graduated high school and am moving away from home into university residence this fall. Should I spend my money on cards or "enriching my university experience"? ;)

- Rodrick

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
"Sweet, look at all these D. Young, Zeile, Watson, Gilkey, Lankford, and Jordan rookies I have to have that will someday be worth something when the Cardinals rise back to prominance again."

(Sadly, I think I had every Zeile rookie at one point.Think he even made a Beckett cover one issue.)

Last edited:

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
<looking at early '90s Beckett with photo of '90 Score black and white Jackson with football pads and bat> "Damn, that is a sweet card, would love to own that someday.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
LOL!

For me: "Yes! Just graduated high school and am moving away from home into university residence this fall. Should I spend my money on cards or "enriching my university experience"? ;)

- Rodrick
Looking at the statistics on the backs of cards would be considered enriching your university experience, wouldn't it? Oh, wait.............I get it.;)

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
1992? I was in the closet with a flashlight, pie tin, and a stack of 1992 Topps scratch offs. Loading up on Stadium Club to cash in just like in 1991. Loading up on unopened wax of Bowman because my LCS heard the production run was slashed, rooting through closet boxes to pull and sell Ho Jo, Pendleton, and Fielder cards. Trying to compile Chuck Knoblauch & Scott Erickson cards, and as always looking for the errant brown paper bag of vintage in peoples attack's.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I walked in with my $5 allowance and would sit for hours deciding on what I wanted.

The one day I saw a new product and it was 92 bowman. The guy (not the owner) was like there is no price on it.... 50 cents a pack. I handed him my $5 and went home and opened them up only to be disappointed because I had no clue who any of these guys were. They were thrown into a box until about two years later I see a piazza for $60 at a show and I'm like wtf!!! I have that card!!! I ran home and found it in a box and was so excited.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I was buying Basketball packs all day long. Couldn't beat that rookie class of Shaquille, Morning and Lattner.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
With baseball I def ripped Ultra the most, and Pinnacle after that. And the Rookie Sensations were huge.

But honestly the basketball market was my thing then. Opened everything, collected everything, displayed everything. Shaq and Mourning were in fire. The Fleer rack and Cello insets (Team MVPs etc) , brought HUGE $. Beam Team , Ultra Kings , whatever , it was moving.

Football was so-so at the time.

I also remember loving 4 Sport product. Had cards and big inserts of B. Taylor , Shaq , Rehume (sp?) , etc.

Good times ;)

Ryan

Last edited:

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
After posting, I was banging my head against the table for not mentioning one of the top 5 Basketball RC classes the last 25 years (top 3 probably, with '03-'04 & '94-'95). Shaq RC redemption & Beam Team were lava hot !

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
With baseball I def ripped Ultra the most, and Pinnacle after that. And the Rookie Sensations were huge.

But honestly the basketball market was my thing then. Opened everything, collected everything, displayed everything. Shaq and Mourning were in fire. The Fleer rack and Cello insets (Team MVPs etc) , brought HUGE $. Beam Team , Ultra Kings , whatever , it was moving.

Football was so-so at the time.

I also remember loving 4 Sport product. Had cards and big inserts of B. Taylor , Shaq , Rehume (sp?) , etc.

Good times ;)

Ryan

I loved those 4 Sport cards, all the top draft picks in one set was a home run to me.I still have the Rehume (first female pro hockey player) today.I also collected a lot of NBA, namely whatever Jordan I could get my hands on.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
My favorite rips from 1992 were, believe it or not, Score Jumbo packs. I loved the large amounts of cards per pack, and the Impact Players inserts. Stuff was getting pricy, but I never got sticker shock until 1993 Finest...my mom bought me a pack for my birthday in 1993, and I felt crushed that she paid $25 for several commons.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
My favorite rips from 1992 were, believe it or not, Score Jumbo packs. I loved the large amounts of cards per pack, and the Impact Players inserts. Stuff was getting pricy, but I never got sticker shock until 1993 Finest...my mom bought me a pack for my birthday in 1993, and I felt crushed that she paid $25 for several commons.

Topps Finest was $25 then?

Members online