Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

It all started with the Box of Goodies! 1996 Leaf Signature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
It all started with the box of goodies. About a year ago when the second version of the box of goodies went around i grabed 9 or so common 1996 leaf signature extended autographs, I was hoping that these would plant the seed that might grow into a complete 1996 leaf signature series set. After working on this set for more than a year I am almost done.

For those of you that aren't familiar with this set it came out in 1996 and had an MSRP of $9.99 a pack which was pretty much unheard of at the time, it also was the first set to offer one auto per pack in the regular series and 2 auto's I believe in the extended series. I was a freshman in college at the time so I only bought one pack back in the day and I got a Jim Edmunds autographed gold card, it is the only card in the two sets that I pulled from a pack. Series 1 came in a bronze, silver and gold autographed version with bronze having 3500 copies, silver 1000 and gold 500. The extended series did not have the same variations but they did have a black and blue ink version for severall players. Each set also SP'd the superstars of the day. Series 1 had 10 sp's I believe and the extended series had 31 sp's with Greg Maddux having the lowest print run of 500. For those of you looking for a challenge I highly recommend trying to complete this set. I think it could be done on a budget of $200 a month over the course of a year and a half or so. You can decide to only do the bronze, silver or gold version, or do like I did and have a little of each, as I like the variety. Completing this set is quite challanging as most of the sp's only occasionally show up on ebay, sometimes they are cheap and other times they go for a lot depending on the bidders, the commons are fairly easy to find and will run between $1 and $2 a piece. COMC was great at filling the commons I needed. Attesting to this challange after over a year of work I am still short two cards for my own set. One is the Raul Mondesi and the other is the Extended Andy Pettitte. I have missed a few on ebay because I am cheap and did not want to overpay thinking a more affordable version would pop up but so far they have not. I was going to scan the whole set but I thought it would be better to scan a select few cards and see if some of you player collectors want to scan a photo of your guy with your comments on the set. In my opinion this is a pretty iconic set of the 90's as it helped usher out the insert craze and ushered in the autograph era.

Thanks for reading this far and here are a few of my favorites:

Jeter.jpgMaddux.jpgPuckett.jpgscan0001.jpgscan0002.jpg

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
This has always been one of my favorite looking autograph sets. While, I won't be attempting it good luck with your quest for the last couple you need.

In addition to the golds there are also century marks /100 which I think were exclusive to the extended series.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That was a great way to get some certified cards of outright unknowns. I especially like the Wayne Kirby. Although he is shown as an Indian, the card says Dodgers on it. i bought many of the $1-3 cards myself, but i prefer the regular series. The extended set is difficult to read names, bad design.

Wouldn't mind a Mariano Rivera card from that issue, but those have since entered the stratosphere.

maddux69

Nov 21, 2013
NC
I just opened some the regular edition and now am the proud owner of a Mariano River bronze. He has a great sig!

Image237_zps961cc274.jpg

Members online

Latest posts