Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2002 Studio All-Star Game cards? Attn - player collectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Noticed a few failed Brewers prospects listed recently as well. Feast or famine checklist in that set!

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I was wondering why I didn't know about this set as I was reading through the thread. Checked the Beckett checklist, and they managed to omit every single Pirate. Oh well, just one more thing I won't need to chase I guess. But these are great looking cards.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Noticed a few failed Brewers prospects listed recently as well. Feast or famine checklist in that set!

I wonder who decided which cards to skip over and why for this set? Were any other teams besides the Pirates left out when they skip selected 189 cards out of 250?

These cards were reportedly inserted into programs at the infamous 2002 All-Star Game in Milwaukee. Who knows just how many programs and cards were thrown out in a fit of rage when the game ended in a tie? ;)

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I wonder who decided which cards to skip over and why for this set? Were any other teams besides the Pirates left out when they skip selected 189 cards out of 250?

These cards were reportedly inserted into programs at the infamous 2002 All-Star Game in Milwaukee. Who knows just how many programs and cards were thrown out in a fit of rage when the game ended in a tie? ;)

I don't think they're skip selected (along the lines of the Silver Flag parallels from this set). I think it's an incomplete checklist on Beckett's part. Like I said, the Cirillo I have posted above is not on Beckett's checklist and yet there it is :)
So there's probably Pirates out there

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I don't think they're skip selected (along the lines of the Silver Flag parallels from this set). I think it's an incomplete checklist on Beckett's part. Like I said, the Cirillo I have posted above is not on Beckett's checklist and yet there it is :)

Interesting. Would Beckett have received the list they have posted from Donruss or another source(s)? Now that Donruss shut down it'll be extremely tough (if not impossible) to confirm the set list.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I'm shocked there are still collectible players and stars available. Maybe this set will never be recognized for the how rare they are, but player and team collectors should love these. Those gold stamps are wonderful and it's an attractive card by Studio that year.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I'm shocked there are still collectible players and stars available. Maybe this set will never be recognized for the how rare they are, but player and team collectors should love these. Those gold stamps are wonderful and it's an attractive card by Studio that year.
It's very surprising to see some awesome star cards still available. I understand why many of the common players are still available but these cards are beautiful and rare. Hopefully this set will gain more recognition in the future. 2002 Studio was probably my all-around favorite set that year and I love the post-9/11 flag design.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada

What is the Silver Flag parallel? Same as the Studio Proofs /100?

Here's my Olerud AS. I bought it many years ago, I think from the same seller mentioned earlier.

2002StudioAllStar.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
What is the Silver Flag parallel? Same as the Studio Proofs /100?

Here's my Olerud AS. I bought it many years ago, I think from the same seller mentioned earlier.

2002StudioAllStar.jpg

These unannounced parallels all have a silver-foil stamped American Flag on the front. Donruss-Playoff later said that the cards were intended for a contest, but the contest was abandoned before the release of the product. Each card is serial-numbered to the quantities listed.
16 Marcus Giles /100
27 Jose Cruz, Jr. /150
32 Toby Hall /250
35 Eric Munson /32
57 Brian Jordan /100
71 Dee Brown /150
87 Mike Rivera /250
129 Jeff Cirillo /43
2002StudioSilverFlag.jpg

Last edited:

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
These unannounced parallels all have a silver-foil stamped American Flag on the front. Donruss-Playoff later said that the cards were intended for a contest, but the contest was abandoned before the release of the product. Each card is serial-numbered to the quantities listed.
16 Marcus Giles /100
27 Jose Cruz, Jr. /150
32 Toby Hall /250
35 Eric Munson /32
57 Brian Jordan /100
71 Dee Brown /150
87 Mike Rivera /250
129 Jeff Cirillo /43
2002StudioSilverFlag.jpg

Was the contest to find the biggest scrub in the set? I can't imagine any contest revolving around those players would have been the least bit entertaining....

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I've not really seen or heard anything more on these cards. Has anyone ever seen a duplicate?

I don't see any on ebay current or ended. The only seller that seems to have them on Beckett is still addisonpark. And I doubt they are even in sportlots catalog.