Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2012 Leaf Rize

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Trader Joe's makes their own. Check your store label cereal or other goods.....they will say made by "x". Most ia made by Ralston or Conagra regardless of the brand name.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Trader Joe makes their own..well they dont for potatoes and citrus. They use our companies, as well as a few others. We grow, pack and they pick it up. I'm making 7,140 TJ Organic Navels 4# bags tomorrow and not 1 bag/master say anything about our company. We pack for Wal-Mart and numerous other large chains. None mention our name. But I have seen some products before that say packed by XX for XX.

That's what Leaf could have done. Printed by Leaf for Rize. Or similar.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Maybe I'm missing something but why does it even matter whether it's a leaf, a non-leaf, or licensee of leaf's product? How is anyone, besides Leaf, being hurt by this issue?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Hmmm, because lots of people, who never buy leaf anyways, want to XXXXX and complain for no freaking reason. I think that sums it up.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
For the most part I have supported BG and LEAF with an occasional rant here and there, but in the end I have been both vocal with my support and also with my wallet. I hope what I am about to say does not get lumped up with the 'haters' crowd...

Legallity aside, these cards are going to be known by everyone as LEAF RIZE cards, the ball that began rolling by including the LEAF name on the back of the card (required or not) will ensure that. But also, the horrid appeal of these cards are also now linked with LEAF. To me it reeks of desperation and a simplistic money grab without consideration towards LEAF, their future, and the invested collectors of LEAF trading cards.

How LEAF felt it was a good idea to stake their reputation (literally on the back of the cards in print) on such a awful looking product and all the while water down the prospect card market, the very market they try to make a legitimate name in, is beyond me...? This is a classic short sighted move to make money without consideration for the future. It saddens me to think BG thinks so little of his company to basterdise out his name like this on such a horrible looking product.

I cant help but feel that this has finally solidified the LEAF brand as unworthy of my time and/or money. But hey, hopefully he made a few hundred thousand off the venture because it surely linked his name with garbage, a link that is going to cost him a pretty penny in the long run.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Theres 206 posts about it here, but only 12 on blowout & 5 come from loblaw.

They have it right sorry to say

For the most part I have supported BG and LEAF with an occasional rant here and there, but in the end I have been both vocal with my support and also with my wallet. I hope what I am about to say does not get lumped up with the 'haters' crowd...

Legallity aside, these cards are going to be known by everyone as LEAF RIZE cards, the ball that began rolling by including the LEAF name on the back of the card (required or not) will ensure that. But also, the horrid appeal of these cards are also now linked with LEAF. To me it reeks of desperation and a simplistic money grab without consideration towards LEAF, their future, and the invested collectors of LEAF trading cards.

How LEAF felt it was a good idea to stake their reputation (literally on the back of the cards in print) on such a awful looking product and all the while water down the prospect card market, the very market they try to make a legitimate name in, is beyond me...? This is a classic short sighted move to make money without consideration for the future. It saddens me to think BG thinks so little of his company to basterdise out his name like this on such a horrible looking product.

I cant help but feel that this has finally solidified the LEAF brand as unworthy of my time and/or money. But hey, hopefully he made a few hundred thousand off the venture because it surely linked his name with garbage, a link that is going to cost him a pretty penny in the long run.

I believe this is why people had a problem with it :)

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I enjoy Leaf products, but this shouldn't have happened. Hope Leaf got paid well, because it is not going to do their reputation any favors.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I enjoy Leaf products, but this shouldn't have happened. Hope Leaf got paid well, because it is not going to do their reputation any favors.

This, obviously in a nut shell is all I was saying as well a few posts up...

Have/do other companies do it(Topps)? Sure, but Topps has products that are hobby staples, standards that hold the bar. Topps can have their name on anything and it will not detract from the draw and influience products such as Bowman, Heritage, Topps, ect.. has. Their product(s) and name are already a hobby institution. The difference with LEAF, and double standard or not, is that they are in the infant stage of trying to build a name. Who and what they link themselvs too matters in this respect. Stamping their name on this RIZE product is simply a bad decision on their part. And as someone who invests in their baseball product(s), it's a move I wish they did not do. It lessened the value of their brand in my opinion...

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
These Rize cards maybe butt ugly to most, but I don't see why Leaf has to be adamant in saying, 'ugh - these aren't are cards and we aren't responsible for them [except we provided the players, the autographs and elements possible to be able to make these cards in the first place].'

It isn't like it's going to look better to a Leaf detractor whether or not Rize was created from Leaf's braintrust - also why even bother going after the guys [who I assume Leaf probably sold the bulk of cards to anyway] because they had the gall to associate Leaf with Rize in their listings for a Leaf produced set of cards.

I can't wait for the signed versions of these cards to appear as bonus hits in next year's Best of Baseball product.

Last edited:

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Trader Joe makes their own..well they dont for potatoes and citrus. They use our companies, as well as a few others. We grow, pack and they pick it up. I'm making 7,140 TJ Organic Navels 4# bags tomorrow and not 1 bag/master say anything about our company. We pack for Wal-Mart and numerous other large chains. None mention our name. But I have seen some products before that say packed by XX for XX.

That's what Leaf could have done. Printed by Leaf for Rize. Or similar.

I agree, and I think BG probably would have had this type of wording if he thought it would turn into a big mess.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
My 2 cents on the design...

I actually like the design on the multi-player cards. The base design is fine until you get to the name box at the bottom, which looks very cheap. This is the biggest design mistake that was made, in my opinion, and the reason most people on this forum are saying these cards look like garbage. The design of the player name on the Emergence inserts should have been used for the base cards, which would have given them a classier feel and corresponded well with the arc in the Rize design. In fact, the Emergence inserts (minus the word "emergence" at the top) may have made for a better base card. The inserts are entirely forgettable but inoffensive and ultimately rather pointless. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to purchase the insert cards over the base design for any reason.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
This really is not meant to be a troll post, but Brian, you mentioned that Leaf has produced similar sets for others in the past that have had the Leaf name on them so I think it's something that needs to be asked. If somebody wanted to produce a set with the Leaf name that had the same design as a set produced and marketed by the Leaf company but was slightly different, like say a different color, would that be something that Leaf would be open to or has been open to doing?

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
I'd still take a Rize card over any game used card made by a card company.
Always funny how a stupid thing like this about cards that have Leaf in small print on back gets 15 pages of nonsense.

But we see all stories on fake game used stuff sold in auctions, to card companies ect... Card companies show no proof of where and when they bought the jerseys, who authenticated them. How vague the wording is on those card backs. Where collectors sometimes spend thousands on a single game used card. We get maybe 1 page and no one says boo. Everyone just ducks their head in sand on that topic. But a stupid topic like this we get all the typical tough talk guys trying to make themselves look so smart talking about Leaf and all it's faults. I'd love to see these geniuses that know everything run a card company and try making a living off it.

Last edited:

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'd still take a Rize card over any game used card made by a card company.
Always funny how a stupid thing like this about cards that have Leaf in small print on back gets 15 pages of nonsense.

But we see all stories on fake game used stuff sold in auctions, to card companies ect... Card companies show no proof of where and when they bought the jerseys, who authenticated them. How vague the wording is on those card backs. Where collectors sometimes spend thousands on a single game used card. We get maybe 1 page and no one says boo. Everyone just ducks their head in sand on that topic. But a stupid topic like this we get all the typical tough talk guys trying to make themselves look so smart talking about Leaf and all it's faults. I'd love to see these geniuses that know everything run a card company and try making a living off it.

I'd have to disagree with you about the wording on the back being "a stupid thing like this about cards" and I would assume that Brian would agree as well based on the actions he's taken with ebay and possibly Rize. It's easily something that could confuse potential customers and, as we've already seen on ebay, has confused sellers as well. I expect we'll still see issues down the road and that people will have issues grasping what exactly happened here.

And yes, we all know about the wording on game used cards. It's been going on for years, people have been aware of it for years, and thus it's nothing new. Threads do occasionally pop up complaining about this but it's not going to get the attention that this subject did because everyone is already used to those other issues and they've been hashed and rehashed time and time again. You can only say so much before the same old thing is said over and over again. For me personally, this is the first I've ever seen/heard of something like this with trading cards. Has it ever happened before somewhere? Probably but I just don't know about it. However, since it appears to be a new/highly infrequent topic, it's going to get much more play on here. I would expect if this same topic occurred again in 3 weeks, you wouldn't see 15 pages of it. There were many posts in here of people trying to ask questions and understand exactly what happened. Now they know (I think) and probably would chime in a lot less. You'll still have the people that complain for the sake of complaining but that's everywhere in life, not just exclusive to sports cards, and unfortunately there really is nothing that can be done about it.

I know people have a hard time dealing with those who seemingly bash Leaf whenever they can, but until I see those same people calling out posters who complain about Topps all the time, their posts ring hollow. You can't give a free pass to one company, regardless of which one, and then knock the other for the same or similar issues without coming off as a clown.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
This really is not meant to be a troll post, but Brian, you mentioned that Leaf has produced similar sets for others in the past that have had the Leaf name on them so I think it's something that needs to be asked. If somebody wanted to produce a set with the Leaf name that had the same design as a set produced and marketed by the Leaf company but was slightly different, like say a different color, would that be something that Leaf would be open to or has been open to doing?

We would not take a hobby only set and clone it in a parallel... We might consider making a retail base set and offering a parallel color to a retail chain that wanted them for repacks or a company that wanted them for a promo.
BG

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Nothing new here folks

Pacific (branded) paid classic (logo on back) for use of hill.

No one has ever called this "classic prism" so no one should call it "leaf rize"

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356096534820.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356096534820.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 44
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356096546854.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356096546854.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 47

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Nothing new here folks

Pacific (branded) paid classic (logo on back) for use of hill.

No one has ever called this "classic prism" so no one should call it "leaf rize"

Rather obtuse thinking. It says "Produced by Pacific Trading Cards, Inc.".

Nowhere does this card say "Produced by Rize Trading Cards, Inc."

When the seller indicates that it's a sub-brand of Leaf, and the card itself says Leaf, a reasonable person thinks it's a Leaf card.

I think it's ridiculous that this was moved here so that Brian may edit same.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Interesting. Is this part of the Big Announcement at the end of this week?

BG bought Hostess!

Coming in January, LEAF will produce the first ever LEAF/Hostess prismatic milb twinkie! (unlicensed of course!) Be on the lookout for hot boxes of LEAF/Hostess prismatic twinkie boxes that contain specially filled twinkies with red, blue, and sparkle gold filling! Also, keep an eye out for autographed twinkies and event used (partially eaten) twinkies of your favorite milb players!

MSRP $199 for a box of 6 (12 box per case), limit 1 case per direct order!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts