Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Topps Redemption process?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I had a Tyson Ross 2011 Marquee relic/auto redemption that was also replaced with one of these Don Sutton autographs Monday. I never asked for a replacement because I collect the A's and I paid like $4-5 for the Tyson Ross, and figured they'd send me an equivalent failed prospect auto I didn't need so I was willing to wait it out forever. Considering they could have sent me crap like that, I was happy with the Sutton replacement. At least it's a HOF auto, which is always decent trade bait to get something I actually want. Would've rather had the Ross but big whoop, it's not the end of the world.
That's great that it worked out in your favor, but they are also doing this to people who sent in redemptions for on-card HOFer autos.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
They already list a few. I also wonder how Topps "values" these. Now I'm not exactly sure how they value things to begin with but they talk the talk of trying to replace things with fair value. Will Topps "over-value" these cards because they are only available this way? Are they creating or trying to create their own value?

Great points, so perhaps what Topps is doing here may provide meaningful insight into how it will treat future hobby releases in a general sense... and how it values them. Hmmm.

I can't help but think Topps had to go down this road, I don't necessarily think its a bad thing.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
I think this will hurt sales of redemption cards on the secondary market.

Well yeah that impossible to get card just went from triple relic patch auto to Don Sutton sticker..meh.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
That's great that it worked out in your favor, but they are also doing this to people who sent in redemptions for on-card HOFer autos.

Yeah but all you ever hear about Topps here is extremely negative. I just wanted to add my perspective that while I would have rather had the particular card I redeemed, I was happy with the replacement all things considered. Sorry for butting into the dump on Topps fun.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Yeah but all you ever hear about Topps here is extremely negative. I just wanted to add my perspective that while I would have rather had the particular card I redeemed, I was happy with the replacement all things considered. Sorry for butting into the dump on Topps fun.

Just saying that your case is likely the exception.

Topps deserves every criticism they get.

isotopes4

Feb 27, 2009
Makes me scared to redeem my 5star mccovey/posey patch booklet. All i need is a denard span sticker auto.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
I emailed a senior VP at topps about this and it is funny, I got the impression that he really didn't think anything was wrong with this. I told him that topps needed to focus
more resources on customer service and less on twitter give a ways and he thought that was totally unnecessary. He told me there is no way in hell topps was going to cut
back on their social media budget. He gave me the, yeah we need to try harder blah blah blah but it wasn't sincere. I mean, topps pretty much feels like they can do whatever they want. I am glad to see so many of you that feel that this isn't right, even if you may think the replacement is better than the card you were owed, the bigger picture here is that topps is reneging on promised cards, many of which show up as big hits on sell sheets. What is worse is that they are coming up empty on relic cards, which proves that topps is just not even opting to make certain cards because they cost too much.

I can offer a few solutions here. One make sure that you tell them of your disgust on twitter and facebook. I would suggest not being rude but being persistent. I would also email higher ups at topps and tell them what is going on. It wouldn't hurt to let your card shop know too, but I think the most important thing we can do is return replacement cards that are unacceptable. Not only is there a track record or getting better cards the second time around, if enough people do this topps will know they can't do this crap. Of course the ballzy thing to do is vote with your wallet, but I assume that if you are here reading this you are into buying topps packs.

Speak up and let your voice be heard on this and we can make this a better hobby.

Thanks
Kevin

Members online

Latest posts