Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Topps Redemption process?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
Yesterday I received a package in the mail for a redemption replacement I asked for back in January I believe... but it wasn't a normal card. The letter states that they are using retired and active player (sticker) autos to create a new auto set specifally for replacing redemptions. The cards are not sold in stores, online and have no set tied with them. Is this the new thing with fulfilling redemption cards and has anyone gotten something similair? My card was a 2011 Marquee Cody Ross dual relic auto, but instead got a Don Sutton auto from this "new" set. I don't even know how to classify this card if I wanted to try and sell it on ebay...

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
toppssutton1.jpgtoppssutton2.jpg

Here are the images of the front and back of the card. I got it and tried looking to see what set it was from. When I didn't find anything I read the letter to find out it doesn't belong to one...

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
They have done these for a couple of years now, made thier own cards and sent them out as replacements. I believe the first run had Andre Dawson, Prince Fielder, Gary Sheffield and Lou Pinella cards.

jdowg84

Oct 13, 2012
At least it looks pretty nice. From my dealings with Topps, I am surprised you didn't get a slab of cardboard with a jeremy papelbon sticker auto.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I got one of those fielders the first year in place of my on card Steve Carlton relic redemption.

Btw, that was my last redemption ever with them.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Topps is basically saying...here you go, thanks for waiting 9 months, it is just too much of a pain in the ass and costs too much money for us to make your card, so we are
reaching into our drawer of garbage and will slap a sticker auto on a card and send it to you. We feel that this saves us the most money and gets you off our backs. Please buy our next product, when we promise more redemptions and will turn those into garbage in 10 months.

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
There are 6 or 7 out on ebay already under "Topps Don Sutton auto" so I'd just list it like that. Only one has sold, and that one was numbered 01/10 for whatever reason. I got the non-numbered version yesterday as well. And while it's hard to expect anything more for a Tyson Ross Marquee auto, a sticker auto on a made-up card is no more interesting to me. I wish they'd change the language on the back to "the signing of all Topps autograph stickers..." since they rarely seem to have on-card autos anymore. Not that I believe anyone witnesses it in either case.

kerryfan5

Sep 17, 2012
Ohio thourgh Dickinson, N.D.
Really interesting. This adds up to Topps just bait and switch scheme. Oh we promised you a Hall of Famer numbered to 10 super rare card. Sorry, are mistake we lied to you about having it, here take this card you didn't order. Doesn't anybody else see this? Go to Burger King and order a Whopper and they give me a Fish Sandwhich. I go back in for the right sandwhich. I guess some people go back in and say I ordered a whopper, but thanks I really wanted a Fish sandwhich. Come on Topps. Come on collectors Fight back. Say no to stickers.

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
So basically - "you know the redemption for that SUPER AWESOME card you pulled from a pack. yeah...we didn't make that. We just needed something to place on the sell sheet to get you people to buy the product. But we have soooooo much mediocre stuff that we don't know what to do with it all, so here ya go. Buy Topps!!!"

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
These are fracking awesome. I think on the back it should read, This card was produced to replace (insert card description here). And the should say " Topps can't guarantee that this holds the same value as the card it replaced since the secondary market can't be established since the first card listed above was never intend to be actually produced.
Thanks again for your continued support of Topps products.

Sent from my Desire HD using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
That's a nice looking card.

Makes a lot of sense to make these cards.

Imagine how tough it will be for player collectors to track these down, I wonder if Beckett will try to list these.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
It's not a sticker problem I worry about. Doing this really does allow topps to not produce cards even if they get the stickers back and have the ability to make the card. Now they definitely weigh the option of whether or not to produce the card based on how many redemptions were turned on for it. And on one of one stuff, it's going to be even worse.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
That's a nice looking card.

Makes a lot of sense to make these cards.

Imagine how tough it will be for player collectors to track these down, I wonder if Beckett will try to list these.

They already list a few. I also wonder how Topps "values" these. Now I'm not exactly sure how they value things to begin with but they talk the talk of trying to replace things with fair value. Will Topps "over-value" these cards because they are only available this way? Are they creating or trying to create their own value?

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I had a Tyson Ross 2011 Marquee relic/auto redemption that was also replaced with one of these Don Sutton autographs Monday. I never asked for a replacement because I collect the A's and I paid like $4-5 for the Tyson Ross, and figured they'd send me an equivalent failed prospect auto I didn't need so I was willing to wait it out forever. Considering they could have sent me crap like that, I was happy with the Sutton replacement. At least it's a HOF auto, which is always decent trade bait to get something I actually want. Would've rather had the Ross but big whoop, it's not the end of the world.

Members online