Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Beckett's redemption card poll. Do you agree?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
Poll is stupid in my opinion because the sample size probably hasn't opened all the options in the poll. I certainly haven't. Plus Topps is a vast majority of redemptions overall. I think a better poll would be rate Topps redemption practice on a scale from 1-10 and see where it falls out. That'd be valuable for the consumer and Topps IMO.
WINNER

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
One thing I like about Panini's is the email notice that stuff is shipped

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I have never been a big wax breaker, a box here or there, mostly buy singles. Having said that I have probably pulled around 20 or so Topps redemptions over the years and guess how many I actually got? One.. Every other one was replaced with a all but common GU or Auto. In fact, one time they cleared out 5 pending redemptions and sent me 5 worthless Darrin Erstad auto cards.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
Topps used to be pretty good about redemptions. Pre 2010 they were 6/6 on getting me the exact card that I redeemed. Funny thing is that since they got the license in 2010 they are 1 out of the last 11. Coincidence or does not having a competitor not make you try as hard? I'm a small fish in a big sea, but I've gone from buying multiple boxes of every baseball product that came out in 2010, to having opened three this year, series 1 and 2 to get the base sets, and I got suckered into buying Inception which was a huge reminder as to why I don't buy boxes any more.

I'm not going to say Topps sucks, or they don't care about the customer, but each year they do things that make it harder and harder to respect them as an organization.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
When that many redemptions go unfulfilled, you really have to ask if Topps really had any plans to include the card at all, or were they just bait and switch fodder...?

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Interesting, the companies are listed in the order of sales of the companies and the order of number of redemption cards in their products..

Flawed poll..

Ask about the redemption online experience, wait time and customer service specifically and the poll changes dramatically.. BG

Interesting, the companies are listed in the order of sales of the companies and the order of number of redemption cards in their products..

Flawed poll..

Ask about the redemption online experience, wait time and customer service specifically and the poll changes dramatically.. BG

Based on what collectors have said...

Topps redemption online experience? Sucks
Wait time? STILL WAITING
Customer service? What's that?

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008

Flawed poll..

No, no it would not really...

The glaring flaw here is that the only way to get somewhat accurate results is if everyone polled had a equal sample size with each manufacturers redemption process. People vote based on what they think/know, and that is usually based on experience. To more accurately put this poll in to perspective is that most if not all voters probably had to deal with the Topps redemption process and Topps only got 18% of the vote out of a potential ~100% that has experienced the Topps redemption process. Conversely I would assume perhaps about 10% of voters have had to use LEAFs redemption process yet LEAF still got 7% of the vote. That means the vast majority of voters who have experienced LEAFs redemption process viewed it as the best.

I would think anyone who can read between the numbers here would see this as a huge slap to Topps and major kudos to LEAF.

Had one redemption...and sold it right away so I wouldn't have to deal with that crap :)

and Cmon man, who actually talks to their CS? You phone them up....and wait....and be on hold...and talk to some person who is no damn help at all...and go on hold...and then you email...again...and again....

Why bother?

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Topps sucks, Upper Deck sucks ect ect

Redemptions are terrible and should be illegal unless you get what they say you will get!
I promised not to post this pic again, and its not like me to break a promise..... but seems fitting for this post

SORRY UD :(

Udddd.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Out of curiosity, have you ever had a redemption or talked to topps customer service?

I get where you are going with this but to be honest...I'm not so sure it matters. Reading about the stuff that happens leads any collector to eventually believe two things about topps.

1. They make cool looking products.
2. The chance that you'll get a screwed up card, get a redemption for a card that never gets made or takes forever to make, get a replacement that is very poor in equality or is very far from being anything close to what you had a redemption for, or get a box missing hits that will have a high chance of being replaced by the bare minimum.

IMO, it's not a good motive for any collector to want to bust much unless they happen to sell. If you bust a ton and aren't too sure about their redemptions, then you can always sell. But if you are just a collector and don't bust to sell because you want that chance to pull a really rare card, that chance can and has at times been taken away from you. I love pulling a hit that I can keep. It's fun. But if I run a high risk of pulling something that I'll never be able to get( dud of a redemption), or get missing hits and can't possibly expect anything other than to be be pleasantly surprised if I'm lucky, then I'm not spending $70 or so on any box, I'm sure as hell not busting a case, and I'll just stick to singles. Some people go that route and some do not. Their reputation is what causes Biggiobrooks to feel the way he does. I'm not sure what he buys or what he has dealt with. But I know what I buy and what I've dealt with and I can tell you that it has affected my buying habits and the horror stories compound on it.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
When that many redemptions go unfulfilled, you really have to ask if Topps really had any plans to include the card at all, or were they just bait and switch fodder...?

There is no telling and with the invention of these set-less auto cards, there is a good ability for them not to be too persuaded to do so. Used to, they sent you something, even if minimal, from an actual set. When you can sit back and figure you need to fulfill *** amount of redemptions and you CAN do so by just creating these low cost cards...

Well you tell me, where is the motivation to get a redemption fulfilled? Or maybe they do go hard after some, but let others go with little effort because there is a safety net there. You can make just enough people just happy enough to keep your products selling.

I'm not saying this is what they are doing. I'm just saying that the ability is certainly there.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Interesting poll. Agreed that it's essentially flawed unless you view it the way [MENTION=2223]matfanofold[/MENTION] does.

My experience:
Panini (zero experience since Panini took over Donruss as I won't open their product - hasn't been one worth the price in my opinion)
Topps (no doubt horrible. sell redemptions, don't redeem)
Leaf (tons of experience. only ever had one player go unredeemed because the player threw away or misplaced the cards and Leaf is in the process of making an even better card of that player to replace it) Redemptions get filled fast, their website experience with the redemption and the pack is cool. While I would prefer to know what parallel I pulled on the redemption card, I liked when Leaf would show you the parallel in the website animation. They stopped doing that recently preferring to just surprise you with a random redemption of that player, but I've been told by BG (after "complaining" about that) that they will go back to showing you the parallel at the point of redemption. Leaf does redemptions really well. But my ideal scenario would be the Topps Redemption card and Leaf's ability to fulfill.

Members online