Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Challenge for BG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Happy Holidays BG! Among my New Year's Resolutions will be to not be so hard on you next year (no promises from 2015 on ;-) ). But I do want to issue you a challenge before the New Year. You're making some sweet-looking cards now. Top-Notch in the eye appeal category. I like that. What I want to see is for Leaf to come up with a truly never-before-been-done trading card innovation. Something completely new & exciting. Something with a wow-factor not seen since the introduction of the memorabilia card by Upper Deck in 1997. Something NEW. Warren

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Wont use logo so will still not be as good
Thank you for your input. I didn't challenge him to do something "as good" or "better" than the other companies, I challenged him to do something they've never done before, and do it well.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Wont use logo so will still not be as good

People REALLY need to get past this. It is NOT BG's fault that he can't use a logo. Instead of XXXXXing about it on a forum, maybe you should throw a XXXXX fit on paper and send it to Bud Selig. That would seem to make more sense, being that his entity is the one with the deciding vote.

People REALLY need to get past this. It is NOT BG's fault that he can't use a logo. Instead of XXXXXing about it on a forum, maybe you should throw a XXXXX fit on paper and send it to Bud Selig. That would seem to make more sense, being that his entity is the one with the deciding vote.

Really?

Its not his fault that he cant go to Bud Selig, make a presentation on how thier products are better than Topps ect ect and see where that goes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARLOS-CORR...0719671649?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5af8b50d61

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-CARLOS...1158873161?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2585d14049

Would those cards look sooo much better with a logo? Yes sir

Is it a nice card? Yes sir.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Really?

Its not his fault that he cant go to Bud Selig, make a presentation on how thier products are better than Topps ect ect and see where that goes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARLOS-CORREA-2013-Rize-Rookie-Pink-Paragon-Prodigy-RC-LE-200-/390719671649?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5af8b50d61

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-CARLOS-CORREA-Leaf-Memories-RC-6-25-MINT-AUTO-RARE-/161158873161?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2585d14049

Um, what?

You're in over your head here and LOL at the fact that if that is what it would take, that BG wouldnt be camped out outside Bud Selig's house.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Really?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARLOS-CORR...0719671649?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5af8b50d61

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-CARLOS...1158873161?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2585d14049

I would guess that BG has reached out to Selig/MLB on numerous occasions. I highly doubt it's as simple as showing MlB a nice card and getting a license. There's a lot of money involved, and ultimately the decision is that of MLB.

I've stood up for you on a couple of occasions, but I am starting to regret that. Time and time again you show that either

A. You don't have a grasp on the business aspect of the hobby.

B. you have a grasp but are just being an ass about it

Or

C. Neither A or B, just trying to jump on some mysterious bandwagon.

Come on man. Think about things before you post them. Of course Leaf would look better with logos. That is beyond BG's control. Stop beating a dead horse. If he could add logos, he would.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
Topps has the exclusive, end of story. BG can get on his knees at Seligs desk and it wont change anything until about 2022. What Leaf does with no logos is better than what Topps does with full rights and the reason is simple. BG and Leaf care about their consumers.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
I don't see how much more innovation there can be when it comes to baseball cards. Signatures, GU pieces, tickets, even hair have been added to them. UD even came up with bug cards (which I'm surprised someone hasn't co-opted the holders in order to include bigger GU pieces like bat slivers, etc.). We've had hologram cards, video cards, phone cards, motion cards, rare mineral cards, cards printed on odd materials (although a card printed on a pulped game used bat or something like that could be "new"), and a whole host of other such things. Outside of "virtual" cards (IE: you can only buy them online, but even then it would end up being like eTopps), I don't see how much more new ideas can be found. Asking a company that has made most of it's money and reputation from recycling the ideas of those that have come before them; autographs, sketch cards, "superfractor-lite", repacks, exclusive contracts, hell even buying the name of another former card company is an even taller task to hope for. Who knows, maybe this needling will get Brian's creative juices flowing, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Um, what?

You're in over your head here and LOL at the fact that if that is what it would take, that BG wouldnt be camped out outside Bud Selig's house.

If you (BG) are unhappy with your boss (Topps) and you think you have a great idea (logos on cards), you go to your boss (Topps) and you sit them down and explain or show how your idea (logos on cards) is better than the current idea (Topps) and have other employees or customers (us collectors) voice their opinions as well.

Will it work all the time? No

Is it worth a try? Hell yes

This is basic business practice, and one that we do where I work. If I have an idea, I go to my boss and explain how my idea will better the company and the customers.

Not sure why you guys dont understand this but thats ok :)

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
If you (BG) are unhappy with your boss (Topps) and you think you have a great idea (logos on cards), you go to your boss (Topps) and you sit them down and explain or show how your idea (logos on cards) is better than the current idea (Topps) and have other employees or customers (us collectors) voice their opinions as well.

This is basic business practice, and one that we do where I work. If I have an idea, I go to my boss and explain how my idea will better the company and the customers.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Like I said, you're way in over your head...

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

;) , do you realize....

Ryan

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country

If it were that easy BG would have done that. Topps has agreement with MLB. If MLB offered license to any other company before contract expires, they would be in breech and have to pay some sort of fine or something similar. He nor any other company has anything to negotiate with until the current monopolistic stranglehold Topps has expires.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos

When did Topps become BGs boss? Or am I missing something here... Or better yet, is he missing something here

Members online