Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

It REALLY paid to open 1988 topps Rack Packs today!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
All this talk on FCB about patterns and 80s cards coupled with being "one of those days" helped me to open some '88 rack packs.

I don't really remember any patterns for this year except Mattingly (Howard Johnson) so I was surprised I didn't remember the one with Puckett, Cal and Bonds (all near each other) or Clemens & Maddux back to back.

Turns out the first and last packs I opened were the best for sure!

First pack had this Comstock "blue streak line" variation I didn't know existed 1401917798263.jpg.

But the last pack got me really giddy!

I remember noticing this misprint on the card when I was a kid. I wound up selling it years ago and wasn't happy with the ending price and wished I kept it instead.

Needless to say I was shocked when I saw this 100 dollar card 1401917985976.jpg

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
i'm going to guess that small splash of pink. A printing variation type card that some may care a great deal about, but most don't.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
It's all about that pink stripe.

Most would call it a print defect, some a legit variation.

And because it's very hard to find from a massively over produced topps product, some hardcore collectors spend big on it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I always thought the legitimate '88 Topps Keith Comstock error is the white letter variation.
That printing line on your card is just a plate mistake. People who pay big money for that is an idiot.

Here's the well-known Comstock variation (pic from another website):

88toppsComstockfront.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I will say, as i am slowly sorting all of the cards by player, that I will probably try to look for some of these errors/variations that I never knew existed once i am done (if I ever get done). I want to finish the project, combine all the boxes together in alphabetical order so that if I need to find a card like that, I can go right to it and see if I have one.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Same thing happened with 87 Donruss grewnwell for a short time. Even made Beckett as a legit variation.

mrniceguy1126

Oct 6, 2008
NEPA
Am I missing something? I see that there several of these Comstock cards on eBay right now for only a few bucks. Is this one different?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
There's a few different comstock variations.

White letter is the most common error version followed by the correct blue letter version.

There's a couple other rare versions (some might call them defects) which some might pay for.

Jan 14, 2009
I always thought the legitimate '88 Topps Keith Comstock error is the white letter variation.
That printing line on your card is just a plate mistake. People who pay big money for that is an idiot.

Here's the well-known Comstock variation (pic from another website):

88toppsComstockfront.jpg

People are forgetting that aside from "one off print flaw" and "legit (whatever that means) variation" is another type of highly collected variety known as a recurring print defect. This means that enough were produced that multiple collectors/sources reported them and interest built but they didn't make the guides. This type of variation is not the equivalent of a stray ink splotch or fish eye (unless hundreds were affected the same way). The Angels TL card is a perfect example of a RPD as hundreds if not thousands were printed this way before the plate was changed. But given how much 1988 Topps was produced, a card printed in the hundreds or thousands is extremely scarce. Not surprising that it would escape the 1988 Beckett radar.

Members online

Latest posts