Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OUCH - Why High School 1st Rounders should SIGN and not risk millions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Not sure how many of you remember Karsten Whitson, he was drafted 9th OVERALL in 2010 by the Padres, he turned down $2.1 Million to go play at Florida. BAD MOVE, he just signed in the 11th round with the Red sox for $100,000. I am really hoping those few years in school were worth $2 million.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
He made it pretty obvious he was going to college. His parents went to UF and his family is well off

He was never going to sign unless a team blew him away. But the Padres took him anyways, knowing that worst case they'd get the same pick the next year

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
He made it pretty obvious he was going to college. His parents went to UF and his family is well off

He was never going to sign unless a team blew him away. But the Padres took him anyways, knowing that worst case they'd get the same pick the next year

I understand that, but that has nothing to do with my point. He would have been $2 million richer if he had signed.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, I don't understand it either. Hell, worse case scenario is they don't make it and they go back to college. I'd throw something in the contract that states that they pay for the college of choice for 4 years or something(chump change to most teams) if things don't pan out or they release or trade me and I'd sign right away. Not sure why they don't opt to do this more.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Yeah, I don't understand it either. Hell, worse case scenario is they don't make it and they go back to college. I'd throw something in the contract that states that they pay for the college of choice for 4 years or something(chump change to most teams) if things don't pan out or they release or trade me and I'd sign right away. Not sure why they don't opt to do this more.

Yeah, this is pretty standard now a days to get that in the contract. Most high school players (1st-4th rounds) will get 4 years of schooling paid for in the future. Even HS players taken in later rounds that teams really want, will get the same deal.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
I understand that, but that has nothing to do with my point. He would have been $2 million richer if he had signed.

You mention that you hope the time in school was worth it, and if he never had any intention to sign, and the Padres knew this, and intentionally threw away the pick (it happened before the new rules) it wasn't a legitimate offer. He got to pitch at the school his parents were athletes at, and my guess is given his situation that was well worth it.

Based on what I learned about him prior to the draft, it was his dream to play at UF for the Gators. So I'd say it was well worth the money for him

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
The best example of all is Matt Harrington.......This guy screwed up worse than any player I can remember, you can read about it here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Harrington

Man never heard if him before this. If only he hasn't been so greedy he wouldn't be doing this now....

Harrington is currently working for the local Costco store, in the tire department, making $11.50 per hour.[3]

(Although it is wiki so who knows if it's true)

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
At least Whitson got a college degree unlike Harrington. He shouldnt be working at Costco if baseball doesnt pan out for him. $2 mill sounds like a lot but really it is a mill. I would take the college degree over a mill.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Why would he enter the draft if his intention was to go to college? Feel out the teams and their offers?

Fordman

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
At least Whitson got a college degree unlike Harrington. He shouldnt be working at Costco if baseball doesnt pan out for him. $2 mill sounds like a lot but really it is a mill. I would take the college degree over a mill.

The degree is a wonderful thing but to my knowledge a lot of ball players have college built into their contract if baseball doesn't work. Years ago when I use to do a lot of in person autographing many guys would say that the teams would pay for college if baseball didn't work out.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Looking back, how much money would you pay to be back in college for four years, getting to mingle and be single with co-eds every night?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Based on my college performance, I'd be happier with the $2.1 million.

I was about to write that education would easily net him an extra couple million over having a HS disploma, but I just realized I have never actually used my college degree, and many graduates I know say the same thing (English Majors unite), so maybe that's not specifically true.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Based on my college performance, I'd be happier with the $2.1 million.

I was about to write that education would easily net him an extra couple million over having a HS disploma, but I just realized I have never actually used my college degree, and many graduates I know say the same thing (English Majors unite), so maybe that's not specifically true.

I've never used my degree.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
The degree is a wonderful thing but to my knowledge a lot of ball players have college built into their contract if baseball doesn't work. Years ago when I use to do a lot of in person autographing many guys would say that the teams would pay for college if baseball didn't work out.

Yes, but part of the whole college experience is playing on the baseball team which he wouldn't be able to do if he did accept the contract. I mean, there are definitely benefits to both, but I think that at the end of the day - I would rather have my college degree. That signing bonus goes quick.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I've never used my degree.

I've used my degree, and I think that I'll make well over $2.1 million in my career. Part of not going to college when you're young is that I know for some people - sports is what keeps them in school. That is definitely what kept me in college - just to be able to play ball. I know I was a poor student, but at the end of the day, I have a degree from a prestigious college, and that's opened a lot of doors for me in the business world.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I'm pretty sure a more mature and polished college pitcher can make $2.1 mil in the majors quicker than a young, raw HS pitcher. In the long run he's probably put himself in a better position. Plus, four years of college girls.

Members online