Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

AP - "I want to be the best ever"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Not just running backs, his goal is to be the single best football player in the history of the game. Man, I love AP.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/272815761.html

Vikings star Adrian Peterson lives in Houston. While his neighbors crank the air conditioning on a June morning, Peterson leaves his house at about 8:30 a.m. and drives 45 minutes to meet his trainer at a workout facility featuring a sand pit, a steep hill and a track.
The burning in his lungs is assuaged by a simple and powerful thought: “I doubt any other running backs are doing this,” he said.
Why does he? “I work with the mind-set of being the best ever,” he said. “That, and my approach, set me apart. I have it in my mind that I’m doing things that nobody else is doing. You’re not just saying you’re going to be the best ever, you’re putting in the work to accomplish that.”
The work includes high-knee and shuffle drills, and running. “That’s just the warm-up,” he said.
Then he’ll run eight 300-yard shuttles, comprised of 12 25-yard bursts. He’ll run sprints, then shuffle, then backpedal, then backward bear-crawl — all uphill. He’ll move to the sand pit to reprise those exercises.
‘‘And once we’re done outside,” he said, “we go inside to lift.” He doesn’t get home until 3 p.m.
“When I say I want to be the best, I’m not talking about just running backs,” he said. “I want to be the best player who ever played. I know I have a lot to do to get there. I know there have been a lot of great players before me. I think what I’ve done so far is pretty good, but I still have a lot of work to do to finish where I envision being when I walk away from the game.”
This will be the last season Peterson plays before turning 30, the early-retirement age for many backs. He has rushed for 10,115 yards in seven seasons. Emmitt Smith holds the career rushing record of 18,335 yards. “Emmitt’s all-time record is definitely something I will break,” he said, nodding.
Peterson had just finished practice. He was sitting in full pads in a chair in a small room adjacent to the Vikings’ locker room, speaking in a quiet voice filled with intensity, leaning forward as his eyes widened.
“I think breaking Emmitt’s record will help, as far as stats go, in trying to become the best player of all time,” he said. “But even though Emmitt has the record, I don’t feel like he’s the best back of all time. If I had to take him or Barry Sanders, I’m taking Barry every time. There are a lot of things that I factor in other than statistics.”
Peterson challenges himself with numbers while remaining dubious of them. He said he’s again setting his seasonal goal at 2,500 yards, but he learned that numbers aren’t everything after his freshman year at Oklahoma, when he rushed for 1,925 yards.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
He's a beast for sure! Seems like a genuinely nice guy too! Funny they're talking about outside in the heat...the last Adrian Peterson day event I attended in Palestine was at a local park and it had to easily be 100 degrees outside. But he had the event every year and that particular year, he sat outside under a little tent with a rinky dink fan blowing hot air and signed autographs for everyone free of charge. It was so damn hot, the markers and paint pens people were using were messing up left and right.

My point is, this guy gives 110% no matter what it is. I have no doubt he'll take Smith's record.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
You appreciate someone like AP so much more when you see super talented players like Josh Gordon or Darryl Strawberry who just waste their gift because they are mentally weak.

I was was bummed when AP missed the single season rushing record, but I imagine that just fuels his fire. His goal again is 2500 yards rushing this year. Audacious!

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
He should give some of that 110% to family life & his multitude of kids all over the place. He has SEVEN kids. Last year his son died and he played a game a couple days later and acted like it was no big deal. He never met him. Don't get me wrong, I really like him as a player and he is my son's favorite player but maybe he needs some focus on family life? Be the "best ever dad" like our kids tell us all the time!

CFD1415

Jun 7, 2013
Mocksville, NC
AP Without A Doubt Is The Heart And Soul Of The Vikings. I Can Only Think Of Maybe 2 Or 3 RB That Are As Exciting To Watch. With That Said RB Isn't The Same As It Was. The Emphasis Is Now On The Passing Game And So I Doubt He Breaks Smiths Record

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
AP Without A Doubt Is The Heart And Soul Of The Vikings. I Can Only Think Of Maybe 2 Or 3 RB That Are As Exciting To Watch. With That Said RB Isn't The Same As It Was. The Emphasis Is Now On The Passing Game And So I Doubt He Breaks Smiths Record

Emphasis on the passing game, means that AP will probably face 8 men in the box less than in previous years. Opening up the game for the pass, will also make it easier to run the ball. There should be continued value in being able to control the clock with a lead by running the ball, especially when you have a guy like AP.

A little quick math. AP is 27th all-time with 10,115 rushing yards. Emmitt is first with 18,355 rushing yards, so AP is 8,240 yards behind. Is his career, AP has averaged 98.2 rushing yards per game. If he can keep up that pace, He would pass Emmitt in 84 more games. If he can average playing 12 games per season over the next 7 years, that would get him there.

If he only averages 80 yards/game, then he needs to play in 103 games to pass Emmitt. At a 12 game/season pace, he'd need a little less than 9 seasons to do it, which would put him at 38 years old. Not going to happen.

It's going to be very difficult to catch Emmitt, but if he is going to do it, he needs a couple of 1700-1800 yard seasons to balance out the averages in his later years when he will be less productive.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
One of the last one back guys and always a fan (and I'm speaking on field as I don't know enough of the outside stuff) . The comeback season he had from injury has to rank as one of the most "how the hell did he do that" seasons. I think what Tim pointed out is actually showing how good/consistent Emmitt was. I think AP def will get into the conversation of top guy but at least he's a top 5 in the end IMO and that's damn good

Ryan

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
One of the last one back guys and always a fan (and I'm speaking on field as I don't know enough of the outside stuff) . The comeback season he had from injury has to rank as one of the most "how the hell did he do that" seasons. I think what Tim pointed out is actually showing how good/consistent Emmitt was. I think AP def will get into the conversation of top guy but at least he's a top 5 in the end IMO and that's damn good

Ryan

I hated him because he played for the Cowboys, but Emmitt was amazing.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
What a lot of people don't bring up is how good the line was for Smith. In no way does AP enjoy the same protection up front.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
What a lot of people don't bring up is how good the line was for Smith. In no way does AP enjoy the same protection up front.

It's true and I wasn't saying that Emmitt was "better" just great/consultant for so long. If Smith had APs YPC, not even taking in offensive line ability would have added another 3000 or so to Emmitts total

Ryan

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
It's true and I wasn't saying that Emmitt was "better" just great/consultant for so long. If Smith had APs YPC, not even taking in offensive line ability would have added another 3000 or so to Emmitts total

Ryan

Oh he was a beast for sure. I just think AP is on another level. He is a freak of nature.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
He should give some of that 110% to family life & his multitude of kids all over the place. He has SEVEN kids. Last year his son died and he played a game a couple days later and acted like it was no big deal. He never met him. Don't get me wrong, I really like him as a player and he is my son's favorite player but maybe he needs some focus on family life? Be the "best ever dad" like our kids tell us all the time!

Seems like an absolute beast of the field but it seems his personal life doesnt carry as much imprtance to him. I remember the story around the tragic death of his son that he never met and people made him out to be some kind of hero for playing in a game...

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
AP is already one of the best pure rushers in history but I don't think I'd ever call him the best RB. His blocking is piss-poor leaving him off the field during a lot of critical 3rd and 4th downs. He's also not much of a receiver though Brett Favre did elevate that portion of the game for him a bit.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, TMZ is starting to get old...

How many times have any of you been whipped with a switch? I can't count how many times my grandmother or my mom tore my rear end up with one.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
As I stated in this post...this needs to concentrate on family. You gives these guys an opportunity and take them out of the ghetto and *poof* it all goes up in smoke........

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
If these pictures are legit, then it goes beyond a simple whipping with a switch. That, I have no problem with. This... well, there's a whole lot wrong with it. They show that the switch wrapped around the child's leg and drew blood - you can see the scabs.

s8nHifi.png

In this story from CBS Minnesota, you can see clearly see how bad these wounds are when you view the pictures individually.
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted-for-child-abuse/

Last edited:

Members online