Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Great front page article - rare GU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
TBTwinsFan said:
Not mine, but I would love to own a Shoeless Joe Bat Card since he took so much pride in his bat(s). I would bid on this if I had the money since it seems low right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHOELESS-JOE-JACKSO ... 1c1b00e2df

Great article as well, it was a fun read!

All things being equal, would you take a Panini Shoeless Bat or the UD Legendary Cuts?? Lets say money was no object...

I kinda like this Panini one - [phil:1f8jw1op]260751849362[/phil:1f8jw1op]

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Legendary Cuts definitely... if money was the same.

Or the Prime Cuts you posted. I always thought those were cool cards with the old looking design layout and the cutouts not being boxes or circles.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
masonphillip said:
TBTwinsFan said:
Not mine, but I would love to own a Shoeless Joe Bat Card since he took so much pride in his bat(s). I would bid on this if I had the money since it seems low right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHOELESS-JOE-JACKSO ... 1c1b00e2df

Great article as well, it was a fun read!

All things being equal, would you take a Panini Shoeless Bat or the UD Legendary Cuts?? Lets say money was no object...

I kinda like this Panini one - [phil:u1fffp2v]260751849362[/phil:u1fffp2v]

That one is on my watch list, too. If I get it, I'll take it out of the uncirculated case, since it'll stay PC anyway. One of the UD cards just sold for $265, which seems like an OK price (I'm trying to get one in the 225-250 range), since that card seems a little more iconic than the Prime Cuts.

cubsfan2513

Jan 22, 2009
Omaha, NE/Chicago, IL
Picture024.jpg

I love this card, pulled it back in 2008.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Nice write up by Chris......I think some of the larger GU items have been missed simply because they are even more obscure.

Ones I own or once owned.
Thorpe_Patch.jpg
GehrigPatchFront-Back.jpg
Maris_Tag_1_1.jpg

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I have been seriously thinking about getting that Shoeless Joe Bat card from Panini.. It's only $200..

I put it in my watch list and keep seeing it every day...

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
jcmint said:
This is from a musial rookie game jersey

IMG_0016.jpg

Gorgeous!

and regarding Musial patches, this seems like a pretty cool, reasonably priced card for a Cardinals fan.

[phil:39pksn2e]110674336968[/phil:39pksn2e]

G

Phil, thanks for the recognition on the piece. I sat down with an Atlanta-based collector whose spent years building a Hall of Fame collection (http://www.kickasscardcollection.com/ and in that time the only legend he hasn't been able to find was Leon Day.

I tried to limit the list to 'any' kind of relic as obviously a patch of any of the pre-war guys (Ruth, Gehrig, Ott, Williams, DiMaggio, etc.) is obviously going to be a sick and rare card. There's also barrels, buttons, bat knobs, etc. floating around out there that are legendary in the HOF game used collecting circle.

Personally, my white whale has always been the leather and lace Jimmie Foxx glove/lace relic. I missed one once, and am still kicking myself. A Lefty Grove hat card (one was just ended early when I had the bank ready) was ended early recently, still miffed on that.

In the category of crazy cards and oddities here are a few I had a hard time getting in my PC.

Reese-2004TimelessTreasures.jpg

Cobb-Ruth-2003TimelessTreasures.jpg

Mays-2005PrimeCuts.jpg

Ott-2004PrimeCuts.jpg

Snider-2005AbsoluteMemorabilia.jpg

Williams-2005ThrowbackThreads.jpg

Graham-2007PlayoffNationalTreasures.jpg

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Chris, those are all great pieces!

Love the Mel Ott patch, that's a beauty!

G

Here is a rarity that I think is gorgeous from the HOF collector I mentioned. This was actually a pack pull.

paige-satchel-patch-front.jpg
paige-satchel-patch-back.jpg

He also has this nice Feller jumbo. Great to get a large, card-sized patch of a player of that era.

feller-jumbo-patch.jpg

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
George_Calfas said:
[quote="Chris Levy":1vc35tqt]Here is a rarity that I think is gorgeous from the HOF collector I mentioned. This was actually a pack pull.

paige-satchel-patch-front.jpg

Always wondered where that one was.[/quote:1vc35tqt]

Very cool and that picture is SO much better than this one - [phil:1vc35tqt]220768972471[/phil:1vc35tqt] - seriously with the glasses and mustache?

The one GU card I always wished they would make is Rube Waddell.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Before I got into prospecting, I was really into hof gu. I've kept a few things in my pc, most of which I haven't bothered scanning, but here are a few I used to own:

Still have a bgs 9 for my set:
scan0010.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

Have purchased one back since:
IMG_0372.jpg

Used to own a TON of nice Mays gu:
IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

Got a steal on this at auction. Probably sold it at a steal as well.
IMG_0097.jpg

Think I owned this for less than a week:
IMG_0032.jpg

Would have kept this if they weren't all so creased up. I was sad to see it go:
IMG_0035.jpg

That's the best stuff but there's more here:
http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g298/ ... ?start=all

manningmurphyfan

Aug 17, 2008
jcmint said:
This is from a musial rookie game jersey

IMG_0016.jpg

Much nicer than the one I won. Also like the fact that it shows the jersey it came from on the back of the card. Mine appears to be from the number and is 14/15.

MusialJersey.jpg

shepsspot

Oct 27, 2008
Here are a few that I wish I still had. Plenty more but I dont want to post them all.

Shep

img207.jpg
roberto.jpg
perry.jpg
cuyler007-1.jpg
GLOVE!
img180-Copy4.jpg
cards004.jpg
img155-Copy.jpg

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
When looking at patches, I think it's just as important to look at the actual patch as it is to look at the player. For instance, the Bob Feller Topps Sterling jumbo patch probably isn't from his playing days, and I think the price reflects that. I think the same goes for the Eddie Mathews Prime Cuts patches and also some of his other patch cards. To me, those pieces aren't as rare or hard to find as "true" game-used, like I think the patches below are from. This post is long enough, so I won't add any of my button cards, as those are obviously rare for any vintage player.

Feller, Mathews and Spahn patches aren't too hard to find, but the ones that look old are.
BobFeller.jpg
LogosEddieMathews2.jpg
WarrenSpahn.jpg

Kaline and Fox patches are hard to find, but if UD had jerseys of each why didn't they make more? I wonder if there are jerseys of each sitting in their vaults.
AlKaline.jpg
NellieFox.jpg

2002FlairTedWilliams1.jpg
NellieFox.jpg

Minnie Minoso patches are incredibly hard to find, partially because Topps used up a lot of patch material for his letter patches.
LuisAparicio3.jpgMinnieMinoso2007ToppsSterlingH.jpg
OrlandoCepeda2007ToppsSterlingN.jpgYogiBerra2007ToppsSterlingN.jpg
EnosSlaughter2005DonrussChampions.jpg
HalNewhouser2004TimelessTreasures.jpg
JackieRobinson2003LeafCertified.jpgLeoDurocher2004SPGameUsed.jpg
JoeCronin2005LeafCertified.jpg

JoeDiMaggio2006Exquisite.jpg
MelOtt2004PrimeCuts.jpg
MickeyMantle2006ToppsSterling.jpg

Collectors were temporarily spoiled when Donruss released Rose patches in 2008, but I doubt Topps will release any so they've become harder to find. I have 2 from Donruss, but I like this big patch better.
PeteRose2010FamousFabrics.jpg

RobertoClemente2004PrimeCuts.jpg

Koufax is one of the hardest patches to find. I lucked into these two.
SandyKoufax2005BiographyWinsJersey.jpgSandyKoufax2005TimelessTreasures.jpg

Don't forget about Dom.
TedWilliams2004GOTGDiMaggio.jpg

Almost every Seaver patch is from his Reds or White Sox jersey. His Mets patch is very difficult to find.
TomSeaver2008ToppsTripleThreads.jpg
WhiteyFord2005TimelessTreasures.jpg

Members online

Latest posts