Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bob Probert passed away!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
Report: Ex-Red Wing Probert dies at 45Email Print Comments10 ESPN.com news services

Former NHL enforcer Bob Probert died after collapsing in a boat in Ontario on Monday, police told The Windsor Star. He was 45.

[+] EnlargeRick Stewart /Getty Images
Bob Probert finished his career with 163 goals, 384 points and 3,300 penalty minutes -- fourth in NHL history -- in 935 games.
OPP spokeswoman Shawna Coulter told the paper that emergency crews performed CPR on Probert on the shore of Lake St. Clair in Windsor, Ontario, before transporting him to Windsor Regional Hospital.

While playing for the Detroit Red Wings from 1985-86 to 1993-94, Probert was charged several times with driving under the influence. He also was caught trying to carry cocaine from Canada into the United States, and served a prison term.

He was placed on inactive status for the 1994-95 season after he was involved in a motorcycle accident and tests showed alcohol and cocaine in his system.

Probert retired in November 2003 after 17 seasons with the Red Wings and the Chicago Blackhawks. He finished his career with 163 goals, 384 points and 3,300 penalty minutes -- fourth in NHL history -- in 935 games.

Probert's family has called a 6 p.m. news conference at the hospital.

adamcm

Aug 7, 2008
Really sad :(. Did his job on the ice without a doubt. His fights with Tie Domi were some of the best. RIP.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
My non-Bruins team to root for was Quebec, which became Colorado, so he was a major factor in that rivalry; I always respected his toughness. RIP, indeed.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Shocking and very sad. I would not be surprised if his death is related to his long time cocaine addiction.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Over the years while Bob was still active in the NHL i was lucky to be able to meet him at least 3 times that i can recall and although he was very feared on the ice, he seemed like a great guy off the ice and was very friendly with the fans. I just went and looked through my IP autos and i do have a few of his autographs.

Thought i would share a picture of his autographed RC that i had signed IP back sometime in the very early 1990's.....

2u7lyk3.jpg

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Very sad.

I've been a Wings fan since 90-91 UD Hockey came out (I live in Texas. I had to pick a team and Yzerman appealed to me). I remember Probert was the enforcer before Darren McCarty and Joey Kocur came up.

RIP

Members online