Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cecil Fielder isn't a Hall of Famer....is he?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
I was talking with a friend of mine the other day who was reminiscing about Fielder's big 50+ homer breakout season in around 1990 or so for the Tigers. I said that despite that, there is no way that Fielder makes the Hall of Fame but my friend disagreed saying that he was a big star. From looking at his career stats, I think that I'm right that he only had a 7-8 productive year window so there's no way he makes it. Is he in or out?

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Let's assume you are asking if he ever has the possibility of being elected, since a simple internet search will tell you he is not a Hall of Famer now.

He was basically a typical IB/DH long ball hitter and didn't play long enough to compile the numbers typical of a HOFer. He had a couple monster offensive years, but that was about it. George Foster had his own freak 50 HR season and he hardly ever comes up in HOF discussions. In some ways their careers are a little similar, although Foster had better longevity and compiled more stats along the way.

I don't think Fielder ever gets serious consideration for the hall personally.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
The Fielders, Cecil and Prince, are almost identical. They were/are popular figures, very recognizable and likable and they were bright stars that burned rather fast. Both had their moment in the sun, very solid players but neither is a hall of famer.

saucywombat

Feb 4, 2010
Folly Beach, SC
Him and is son both hit the exact same number of career home runs.

That's crazy.

Cecil Fielder has a career WAR of only 17, Lou Whitaker's is the highest not in the hall of fame at 75 (if your friend wants a Tiger to root for). Tony Fernandez is a 42 for comparison. Chili Davis is 38. Dave Magadan is a 19. Babe Ruth is 182.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Great comparison, Foster and Fielder. Foster was a better overall player and had a longer career, but the parallels are there. Neither is a HOF'er though.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
My grandfather was a huge Tigers fan and every time I came across any Tigers players in packs I opened, I always gave to him. I remember in 1994 when the only refractor I came across in packs at that time was Cecil Fielder's Topps Finest card, which I put into a top loader and gave to him. I honestly have no idea where those cards went over the years, and when my grandfather passed 5 years ago, I don't think anyone ever found the collection. It's a shame, too, because I would've liked to add them back to my collection as sort of a memorial.

Members online

Latest posts