Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collectibility of oddities and miscuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trickey

Aug 15, 2021
As I continue to fill out my collection of a certain single player, I’m wondering what the feelings towards miscuts and oddities are? Do you think they are important to add to a collection if you are trying to “get everything” or… not?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I love errors, variations, and that stuff. But most of these "miscuts" are done entirely on purpose by the sellers, and I have no use for them.

Shady sellers will take sheets and intentionally miscut cards, then try to sell them as "must have" items for the serious collector. Some are even brazen enough even do this with 90's magazine cards. Since these only came in sheet form, and there are no pack-issued examples, the only way a "miscut" can exist is if someone intentionally cut up the sheet that way. See this example from Ebay seller woo-bay, who is pretty much the worst offender.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
He does have some legit oddball items, and I have bought from him before. But ever since he started with these bogus miscut items, I've stopped.

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
I absolutely love finding errors, unfinished stock and other variations of the sort.

I agree about the vast majority of the miscut cards being purposely done by sellers and I completely avoid buying those sorts of cards. However, I will buy cards with extra stock around the edges of a card that was also purposely left on the card to make them oversized. What’s the difference? They’re both intentionally cut differently than intended to make a unique item, right? I wish the sellers were more upfront in their listings when selling those miscut cards at least.

I’ve purchased many things from Woo-bay and look forward to what he finds. He’s made some oversized sheet cuts available with extra stock and brought blank backs, fronts which are also from sheet cuts as well as photo proofs to the market. He’s got a good inventory of those error misfit related cards, so he’s someone I will continue to buy from.

I say collect what makes you happy and what fits the standards of your own collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I totally get that. Legit miscut cards are fun, and when I see one I *think* is a legit example, I will most likely try to pick it up. Very different than some fraudulent ebay hack with a pair of scissors trying to mislead buyers with "miscut" cards, when it was he himself doing the miscutting.

I like pre-war cards that are miss cut or printing errors. Unfortunately they tend to be worth more than I can afford.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have to think a lot of the oversized cards were sheet cut purposefully as well. Woo Bay was mentioned and that seller has been selling these for ever. Probably buys cheap sheets and has them cut in a way that will yield the highest value, then buys more and repeats the process. I can't completely fault him here (how is it any different than selling unauthorized broders by the trunk load?), but buyers really need to be careful these days with so much stuff. It's sickening how much fraud and BS is being dealt now. "Magazine" cuts from rcedeno is another. This guy cuts up periodicals and sells pictures for way more money than the entire magazine is worth.

I have a number of these I bought at cheap prices early on ebay, but they just kept coming and the prices inched up. That is when these sellers knew they had hooked a bunch of suckers. How is it possible that woo bay has an endless supply of rare miscuts? I never checked, but guessing that is all they sell, probably no legit cards that are cut correctly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts