Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Man holding baby robs Adrian Gonzalez with one-handed catch. (Video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Really cool, but Sportscenter has literally been playing this video every 5 minutes it's getting a little annoying haha

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I was more impressed by the woman making the same one handed baby holding grab on Fathers Day but it was in the upper tank so camera shots weren't as good and a player wasn't competing so I guess that somehow makes this sensational

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Glad he's not my dad. That's putting your kid in harm's way in my book.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Glad he's not my dad. That's putting your kid in harm's way in my book.
Bomani Jones ripped this guy a new one minutes after it happened. Spent his entire opening monologue on the subject. I'm inclined to agree with him. Taking your newborn to sit that close to the field? No glove to protect either of you from an "ugly finder" line drive into the seats? Nuh uh. Not this dad/future grandfather.

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
While I understand some people like to get close to the action, I never would get that close to a game when we go. Maybe way down the left or right field lines, but no place near the dugouts. After the lady in Boston and I remember when I went to a Yankee game when living in NY, they carried out a little kid who got hit in the head by a foul ball. The security guys jacket was covered in blood as he was holding the kid and bringing him to an ambulance. No way I would put my kids, wife or even me in that danger. Unless you are so into the game you watch every pitch and never look around or take a bite of food or sip of beer you could be in trouble.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Now that I think about it, I agree the dad was careless. He should have been shielding his baby from the ball, not trying to catch it. The ball could have richocheted off his hand or railing and smashed into his baby's face. He told reporters he wanted to catch the ball to prevent it bouncing off a seat or rail, but who knows. I think he just reacted and wanted to catch it.
I wonder what his wife thinks.

Still a cool catch though, but I would have been pissed if I was Gonzalez.

Last edited:

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
Agreed with everyone here.

What if Gonzo tracked the ball the whole way and did what Donaldson did tonight, which is dive into the stands? He would have dove into that guys arm and the ball would have probably hit the baby. He is really lucky the player going to make the catch is in the 30s and isn't a speedster.

Also, I don't think that's a good way to hold a baby.
Babies should be banned for safety reasons.

"Ghosts crowd the young childs fragile eggshell mind" :confused:

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Isn't that interference? Or not because the roll was there? The ball was on the side of the wall where the field is.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
While I never took my daughter that young, we've been to games since she could walk. I'm curious what age limit some of you feel would be appropriate?

Sometimes you just have to live life without worrying about every little thing. Then again my daughter has had multiple seizures and spent more time in hospitals then I have, so foul ball to the face is about 925,278 on my list of things to worry about

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
While I never took my daughter that young, we've been to games since she could walk. I'm curious what age limit some of you feel would be appropriate?

Sometimes you just have to live life without worrying about every little thing. Then again my daughter has had multiple seizures and spent more time in hospitals then I have, so foul ball to the face is about 925,278 on my list of things to worry about

Probably old enough is when they have their own seat, so you can have 2 hands free to catch... walking like you said is a good start I'd say.
Even better would be if they're old enough to watch the ball off the bat every time.

Small kids at least get to enjoy the game and the atmosphere. Babies IMO don't get anything out of the game and are only there so someone wont pay for a sitter.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Babies IMO don't get anything out of the game and are only there so someone wont pay for a sitter.
This. There is absolutely no reason to being a baby to a sporting event, concert or movie.
Other than possible dangers, it's annoying and rude to other people. The babies have bo idea what's going on and won't remember it, and it neither enriches nor entertains them.
It's lazy and cheap parenting.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I have no problem with it.

Babies at games are common place. So much so that Cincinnati built a ridiculously tricked out nursing station so mothers can tend to their child while at the game.

I've never heard of an infant injury at a major sporting event, ever.

Sometimes you gotta get out and live.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
The two guys from Indiana post the same thing. Is that the state motto or something?

Hoosiers don't bring gloves to games. Bet that Cubs fan is from Valpo. We're used to our babies sucking on a nipple while dribbling. Not on the burp cloth, but with their off hand.

Real recognize real.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Nearly all public events have disclaimers on the tickets now days, as there is always some level of possible danger. A child was killed by some debris at a monster truck show in Tacoma several years ago. A guy who works for the same company I did was also hit by the debris, as he was sitting directly behind the unfortunate boy. this man was "lucky" by only being out of work for quite some time recovering from severe facial injuries. The fact that he and his kid(s) had to witness the event unfolding in front of them makes it that much worse! Like the dad said in the story, you go out for a night of fun and you end up losing your son. Very sad and tragic, but still an unfortunate risk that you accept as a spectator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ytzs_TE8c

No harm and after the fact here, but that was an epic catch!

Members online

Latest posts