Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB Mock Draft (3/26 Update)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Once a month this site updates their current draft projections, for both the 1st and sandwich rounds.

Here is today's version. Interesting how Giolito is still in their top 5 (he was # 2 last month), and how far McCullers has fallen, all the way to the Blue Jays at # 60.

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft-2012

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
I was really hoping that Byron Buxton would fall down to the Mariners, but just don't see that happening now with Appel and Giolito's stocks falling.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I suppose this is a fair mock draft overall. But shouldn't McCullers's dominance this season count for something?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
bear0555 said:
I suppose this is a fair mock draft overall. But shouldn't McCullers's dominance this season count for something?

Evidently, his projection as a future reliever hurt his stock quite a bit in their eyes.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
As an ASU alum, it pains me to say I hope the Mariners don't take Deven Marrero. I'll catch some games this year and maybe he'll change my mind but IMO his current tools don't justify a top pick. I'd rather them take a chance on a high-upside guy.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
chompsmcgee said:
As an ASU alum, it pains me to say I hope the Mariners don't take Deven Marrero. I'll catch some games this year and maybe he'll change my mind but IMO his current tools don't justify a top pick. I'd rather them take a chance on a high-upside guy.

As far as his ability to hit, I would really like him. The simple fact of the matter is that the Mariners are actually super deep at the infield position. We could really use an outfielder.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
SydBarrett said:
I was really hoping that Byron Buxton would fall down to the Mariners, but just don't see that happening now with Appel and Giolito's stocks falling.

I don't think Buxton will go #1 and still stands a great chance to fall to the M's. He's a small town prep outfielder in a draft with some pretty good college arms and a college catcher that looks like a future all-star. For the M's, I'd be fine with Buxton, Zunino, Giolito or Zimmer.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
SydBarrett said:
chompsmcgee said:

As far as his ability to hit, I would really like him. The simple fact of the matter is that the Mariners are actually super deep at the infield position. We could really use an outfielder.

I'm not sure that Marrero has shown any ability to hit besides an empty BA. This year only 5 of his 24 hits have gone for extra bases. The pros of Deven is his outstanding fielding ability/range (sure thing to stay at SS in the pros) and excellent arm strength. However, he's never shown any pop and I don't think his swing will ever generate much more that fledgling power.

As far as the Mariners being deep on the infield, I still think we lack a true third basemen of the future and shortstop is still very sketchy. Lots of mixed reviews on Nick Franklin's defense and several reports have him eventually moving over to 2B. If he can stay at SS that would be great but I think at this point it's a little optimistic. This year will determine a lot about Nick's future if he stays healthy.

The Mariners are very deep on the right side of the infield. Very thin on the left.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'm surprised Gausman isn't in the top three with the performances he's been putting up. Not to mention he's rare Soph-eligible.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
If you are going to draft an arm, what's so hard about drafting an advanced college arm ready to make an immediate impact?

I'm so tired of HS arms.
We need GOOD pitchers NOW.
We need GOOD bats NOW. ::facepalm::
It's not like we haven't had the chance the last 5 years with our picks. :evil:

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Russ S. said:
If you are going to draft an arm, what's so hard about drafting an advanced college are ready to make an immediate impact?

I'm so tired of HS arms.

This post is full of win. However, it's just a mock and I doubt the O's take another high upside HS player. I bet the O's are praying Mark Appel somehow falls into their lap.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
chompsmcgee said:
Russ S. said:
If you are going to draft an arm, what's so hard about drafting an advanced college are ready to make an immediate impact?

I'm so tired of HS arms.

This post is full of win. However, it's just a mock and I doubt the O's take another high upside HS player. I bet the O's are praying Mark Appel somehow falls into their lap.
Yeah, I know it's a mock.
And there will be another 5 before the actual draft, I know that as well.
I'm not new at this, let me be frustrated already at our horrid draft history.

And thanks for the complement. I love being a winner. ;)

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Russ S. said:
chompsmcgee said:
[quote="Russ S.":hi4ktu3m]If you are going to draft an arm, what's so hard about drafting an advanced college are ready to make an immediate impact?

I'm so tired of HS arms.

Yeah, I know it's a mock.
And there will be another 5 before the actual draft, I know that as well.
I'm not new at this, let me be frustrated already at our horrid draft history.

And thanks for the complement. I love being a winner. ;)[/quote:hi4ktu3m]

:lol:

You got it. Frustrate away!

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
From today's BA College Chat:

Joe LeCates (Easton, MD): Aaron, thank you for the chat today. I've never really been keen on Deven Marrero as a possible 1-1 guy so I may be picking on this unfairly, but has his so-so season thus far dropped his stock for this year's draft?

Aaron Fitt: You know, I think it has a little bit. I've seen a good bit of Marrero over the last three years, and it seems he always has quiet games with the bat every time I see him. Then you look at the numbers, and you realize he's never really put up loud numbers with the BBCOR bats. Marrero is a special defender, a true major league-caliber shortstop -- that is the scouting consensus, and I agree with it. But he is not a great runner, and he is not special with the bat. I know scouts who think similarly. I don't see Marrero as a 1-1 kind of guy at this stage, and he's feeling more and more like a middle of the first round type.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
Not to be too disrespectful to whomever this list was made by, but at this stage a few of the placements are way off. Zimmer is a top 5 guy right now easily, Marrero's stock has fallen, McCullers has made strides with his command and it sounds as though he is showing less effort in his delivery (hence his stock has risen, not fallen), Shaffer and Jankowski should both be higher as well. List just feels like a fan who knows the names, but not the talent made this up.

asw37

Mar 9, 2010
I know there is tons of unknown, but any ideas of which guys are closest to the bigs in the draft?

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
asw37 said:
I know there is tons of unknown, but any ideas of which guys are closest to the bigs in the draft?
Aside from pitchers that could end up in the bullpen (which always expedites things) maybe Zunino.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Jaypers said:
From today's BA College Chat:

Joe LeCates (Easton, MD): Aaron, thank you for the chat today. I've never really been keen on Deven Marrero as a possible 1-1 guy so I may be picking on this unfairly, but has his so-so season thus far dropped his stock for this year's draft?

Aaron Fitt: You know, I think it has a little bit. I've seen a good bit of Marrero over the last three years, and it seems he always has quiet games with the bat every time I see him. Then you look at the numbers, and you realize he's never really put up loud numbers with the BBCOR bats. Marrero is a special defender, a true major league-caliber shortstop -- that is the scouting consensus, and I agree with it. But he is not a great runner, and he is not special with the bat. I know scouts who think similarly. I don't see Marrero as a 1-1 kind of guy at this stage, and he's feeling more and more like a middle of the first round type.

Thanks for posting this, JP! I knew I couldn't be the only one feeling this way...

Latest posts