Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sportscard bid policy update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
ABOUT TIME FOR THIS CHANGE

We’re updating our bid retraction policy for Sports Trading Cards, Non-Sports Trading Cards, and Collectible Card Games auctions. Starting June 30, 2021, buyers will no longer have the ability to retract bids on trading cards auctions without seller approval. Sellers’ decisions to accept or reject auction bid retraction requests will be final.

How the new auction bid retraction policy will work
Starting June 30, if you want to retract an auction bid, you will need to contact the seller via messaging on eBay and request a retraction. The seller, at their sole discretion, will be able to accept or decline your retraction request. If the seller does not accept your request, your bid can still win or lose the auction, and you will be required to make payment on any winning bid you submit. We also inform buyers on our "Bid Retraction Policy" page that "a bid is a binding contract."

As previously communicated, as of April 2021, if an item goes unpaid by the 5th calendar day, the seller may cancel the order due to non-payment. Regularly missing payments may impact your account. Check out our Unpaid Item Policy to learn more.

We appreciate your support and willingness to work with this new policy as we anticipate our trading cards policy update will make eBay a more trusted and fairer marketplace for all.

As always, thank you for buying on eBay.
The eBay Team

Visit our Privacy Notice and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Copyright © eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
If I enter the wrong bid amount it’s because I truly made an error that could cost me four figure$. Now the seller, with knowledge of that error that could lead to shilling, has sole discretion on whether or not to allow it?

Lmaoo F that. I’ll happily take an NPB strike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I actually like this change. In a time when they are constantly taking power away from sellers, they are finally giving some back and attempting to hold buyers accountable. It’s almost like a throwback to the beginning of eBay when a bid truly was a contract and needed to be honored. Over the years, that has become laughable.

My main concern will be an increase in snad claims from buyers who try to play games, just to get out of their contract when a seller doesn’t allow their retraction...especially on a higher dollar/hot card.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I bid on plenty of eBay auctions and have had to retract a bid because I screwed up maybe once or twice in 23 years. There will certainly be instances where somebody honestly makes a typo and doesn't catch it, then the seller refuses to allow the retraction and you've got to take the NPB. But those few instances are worth it for all of the game playing/manipulating buyers this will stop.

Of course what this will NOT stop is a seller using a second account or a friend to figure out somebody's max bid so they can shill it up. Hopefully the next step is to ban these types of accounts, because they'll be even easier to spot now. The only people making a bunch of retractions will be people clearly working with the seller.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Ebay is doing the same thing.

Hello​

We’re updating our bid retraction policy for Sports Trading Cards, Non-Sports Trading Cards, and Collectible Card Games auctions. Starting June 30, 2021, buyers will no longer have the ability to retract bids on trading cards auctions without seller approval. Sellers’ decisions to accept or reject auction bid retraction requests will be final.​

How the new auction bid retraction policy will work​

Starting June 30, if you want to retract an auction bid, you will need to contact the seller via messaging on eBay and request a retraction. The seller, at their sole discretion, will be able to accept or decline your retraction request. If the seller does not accept your request, your bid can still win or lose the auction, and you will be required to make payment on any winning bid you submit. We also inform buyers on our "Bid Retraction Policy" page that "a bid is a binding contract."​
As previously communicated, as of April 2021, if an item goes unpaid by the 5th calendar day, the seller may cancel the order due to non-payment. Regularly missing payments may impact your account. Check out our Unpaid Item Policy to learn more.​
We appreciate your support and willingness to work with this new policy as we anticipate our trading cards policy update will make eBay a more trusted and fairer marketplace for all.​
As always, thank you for buying on eBay.
The eBay Team​

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Of course what this will NOT stop is a seller using a second account or a friend to figure out somebody's max bid so they can shill it up. Hopefully the next step is to ban these types of accounts, because they'll be even easier to spot now. The only people making a bunch of retractions will be people clearly working with the seller.
They may be easier to spot but Ebay won't care if it means more money for them.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
How about taking away the ability to search cards by sport. I noticed this a while back. Unless I am missing a new secret way, trading cards are all lumped together. That is utterly stupid. I collect baseball, I don't want to weed through football, Hockey, Basketball, etc. Others have to be feeling the same about their sport of choice. You'd think narrowing the search window would be the goad, not broadening it!

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
How about taking away the ability to search cards by sport. I noticed this a while back. Unless I am missing a new secret way, trading cards are all lumped together. That is utterly stupid. I collect baseball, I don't want to weed through football, Hockey, Basketball, etc. Others have to be feeling the same about their sport of choice. You'd think narrowing the search window would be the goad, not broadening it!

You still can. Just have to use the filters on the left hand side of the page after you make your search. Actually now that you have to specify what it is your listing the results actually seem better organized.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
^do the individual sport filters show up on the mobile site or app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
You still can. Just have to use the filters on the left hand side of the page after you make your search. Actually now that you have to specify what it is your listing the results actually seem better organized.
Thanks. You are right, but instead of it being convenient under the Sports Trading Cards category (Trading Card Singles is as far as you can filter there), they have buried it in the "more filters" area. Guessing that is harder to find or not available on mobile versions. I have found mobile versions often have limitations that desktop or laptops do not have. I have gotten more used to the portability of my phone when I need to, but i am still an old fart who logs onto the desktop daily. If I am posting on FCB, its from a desktop.

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 8.49.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-03 at 8.49.39 PM.png

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Thanks. You are right, but instead of it being convenient under the Sports Trading Cards category (Trading Card Singles is as far as you can filter there), they have buried it in the "more filters" area. Guessing that is harder to find or not available on mobile versions. I have found mobile versions often have limitations that desktop or laptops do not have. I have gotten more used to the portability of my phone when I need to, but i am still an old fart who logs onto the desktop daily. If I am posting on FCB, its from a desktop.

View attachment 127178View attachment 127179
I just looked at the app actually and all the filters are there. Interesting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts