Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Upper Deck's Holiday Hunt is back!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
damn!!!!!! :shock: thats a great looking helmet Tim. I remember when you won that, you must have been sh1ting bricks :lol: :lol:

Good luck to whoever is gonna play this.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
G $MONEY$ said:
damn!!!!!! :shock: thats a great looking helmet Tim. I remember when you won that, you must have been sh1ting bricks :lol: :lol:

Good luck to whoever is gonna play this.

Thanks man. I won't lie, I was shaking a little bit from being nervous and then excited.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
So how did that work, you go to your card shop buy a box of cards
they hand you a over-sized box and you open it and find the Helmet in it as well
as the box of cards????

Groat

Feb 7, 2009
Pine Tar said:
they hand you a over-sized box and you open it and find the Helmet in it as well
as the box of cards????

They had pictures of the item on their facebook page, along with hints as to where you could find it. As the holiday wore on, more hints were added. You had to go to the store, buy a pack or something and say a specific phrase. I guess the shop owner just gave you the item and took your picture after that.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Pine Tar said:
as the box of cards????

Here is the article that SCF asked me to write about my experience:

Upper Deck recently had contests on their Facebook and Twitter pages, where they gave out clues to help collectors find prizes. Living in Pittsburgh and having several very nice hobby stores near me, I thought that maybe there would be a prize sent to one of the stores. Here are the clues and my thought process for figuring out where the helmet was at:

CLUE #1 – I am at a hobby shop in the U.S. (Eastern Half of the U.S.) – Pittsburgh fits this description.

CLUE #2 – My store is located in the suburbs of a major city that is well known for having a unique geographical trait which happens to also be the name of a new hit TV Drama this year. – Pittsburgh has three rivers and that was the name of the TV show “Three Rivers”

CLUE #3 – To claim me as a prize, buy a pack of 2009 Upper Deck HEROES Football and say the phrase “I love Upper Deck’s Holiday Hunt! – Not really a hint per se, but I had to do this to win the helmet once I found the store.

CLUE #4 – My store is located within 10 miles of a major international airport. – Pittsburgh has the Pittsburgh International Airport.

Using these clues, I went to UD’s website and used their store locator for stores within a 10 mile radius of the airport. The results of the search gave me 3 stores in which the helmet could be at. I called the first store and asked the employee if they were participating in the UD Holiday Hunt contest, and he was clueless as to what I was talking about, so I knew it wasn’t there. I then called the second store, and the owner said that he wasn’t participating in the contest because he got back to UD too late, so no luck there. So I called the third and final store. I once again asked the employee if they were participating in the contest and he knew what I was talking about, but said that he couldn’t answer my question over the phone. After a few second pause, I then said, “Soooo, are you hinting that you are participating in the contest?” and he said that he can’t answer that over the phone and that I would have to come to the store to find out.

So I left work a little early and took the 20 minute drive to the store. I bought my pack of UD Heroes football and while he was giving me my change, I said, “I love Upper Deck’s Holiday Hunt” and he started smiling. He said congratulations to me and that he was surprised that nobody had came in earlier in the day to claim the helmet. He gave me the helmet and took a few pictures of me holding the helmet for UD to post on their Facebook page.

We’ve all heard the saying “the third time is the charm”, and in this situation, the third store was the charm for me!!!

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Wow that rocks man

Edit I see it is in Canada only. Oh well better Luck next time ::facepalm:: :D
Now I wonder if they will use the store that Miller Beer is going to show in the Super Bowl
commercial. I know Upper Deck has nothing to do with Miller Beer but there could be some hints
of this place as the next hunt. Just a thought for me since I know where this place is.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Pine Tar said:

DUH ::facepalm::
Nevermind i guess this is for Canada only. I will have to pay attention to this. I also just looked at the list of Hobby Stores that are participating in this and just found THREE more card shops in Calgary and the burbs that i have never even heard of :shock: :shock: :cool:

Great story Tim!!!!

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
pghbuccos said:
Tim great article. which store was it?

It was at Sportscards Etc. in McKees Rocks. It's actually not that far from the Mall at Robinson. I didn't think McKees Rocks went up that far, but I guess it does.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
UD said on their Facebook page that people in the US will have a few chances to win something, so I would stay tuned tomorrow, you never know.

Thanks for the comments about my helmet, it's pretty sweet in person. And if you never picked up an authentic NFL helmet before, they are pretty heavy.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
mstng99tim said:
pghbuccos said:

It was at Sportscards Etc. in McKees Rocks. It's actually not that far from the Mall at Robinson. I didn't think McKees Rocks went up that far, but I guess it does.

that's what I figured but couldn't tell from the pic. that's were I go to get my supplies.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
pghbuccos said:
mstng99tim said:
pghbuccos said:

that's what I figured but couldn't tell from the pic. that's were I go to get my supplies.

Yeah, it's a pretty nice store. They have another store in McMurray, not far from my work in Southpointe.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
mstng99tim said:
pghbuccos said:
mstng99tim said:
pghbuccos said:

Yeah, it's a pretty nice store. They have another store in McMurray, not far from my work in Southpointe.

I was just in the store in McMurray on Monday. it was first time in that one and it was just as nice as the one in McKees Rocks. too far out of my way though.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
G $MONEY$ said:
[quote="Pine Tar":3bl5ibrj]

Nevermind i guess this is for Canada only. I will have to pay attention to this. I also just looked at the list of Hobby Stores that are participating in this and just found THREE more card shops in Calgary and the burbs that i have never even heard of :shock: :shock: :cool:

Great story Tim!!!![/quote:3bl5ibrj]
What shops were these? I dont venture outside the city limits.
I'm gonna give darren a call @ mapleleaf and see if he'll hold a pack for me, I'm working from 6-3. I've got my dad on the hunt, hes got the SW londons and rexalls covered. I've got the SE after work.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
thefatguy said:
G $MONEY$ said:
[quote="Pine Tar":3sag22j4]

Great story Tim!!!!
What shops were these? I dont venture outside the city limits.
I'm gonna give darren a call @ mapleleaf and see if he'll hold a pack for me, I'm working from 6-3. I've got my dad on the hunt, hes got the SW londons and rexalls covered. I've got the SE after work.[/quote:3sag22j4]

The two shops in Airdrie i have never heard of, "The Store Upstairs" and "Pro Edge". I also have never heard of Eastridge Hobbies in Calgary. They also list a card store in Banff. I don't think i have ever been to that one either.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
The Banff one is in the basement of the fudgery, umm, suncance tours I think is there, a korean restaurant, and a marijuana/adult shop.
I was at Eastridge when they first opened near Barlow, but I think they've moved since then. The first holiday hunt was at eastridge. I've never been to airdrie's stores, but hey,at least theres 2!

Members online

Latest posts