Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBayers suck, yeah again!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buyer pays at night, next morning it goes out in the mail. Takes 6 days to go from NY to CA and you still give me a low star (1 or 2) for shipping? USPS not me! Thinking about charging for Priority on ALL cards. This way they get their cards FAST! ::facepalm::

I know I can offer free shipping and shut down that feature, but they ding you in another catergory to make up for it. :evil:

BTW....do I have to check my payments at 11:45 each night and print out the shipping label to prevent it to??
Seems crazy I print lable less than 8 hours later and still get dinged!

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I feel bad for a lot of you guys that sell on eBay. I very rarely sell on there and I am very glad that I don't.

There just seems to be a ton of idiot buyers. I have a pretty relaxed set of rules that will get 5 stars from me every time. A) I receive the correct card(s), B) the card(s) made it to me safely, C) I receive my card(s) within 14 days domestic, 30 days international (if the seller communicates, I relax those even more). That's about it. If those are met, positive feedback and 5 stars on everything.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Thanks eBay!!

Just stirring the pot a little.

What happened to all the talk about the eBay "monopoly", or the PayPal "monopoly"?

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
muskiesfan said:
I feel bad for a lot of you guys that sell on eBay. I very rarely sell on there and I am very glad that I don't.

There just seems to be a ton of idiot buyers. I have a pretty relaxed set of rules that will get 5 stars from me every time. A) I receive the correct card(s), B) the card(s) made it to me safely, C) I receive my card(s) within 14 days domestic, 30 days international (if the seller communicates, I relax those even more). That's about it. If those are met, positive feedback and 5 stars on everything.

I feel exactly the same way. Even then, shat happens to everyone. If something happens, ie. delays, accidental mistakes, and the seller communicates to resolve the problem and get me what I've purchased, I'll still leave perfect feedback.

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
yep, ebay amazes me....

If you offer 1 day handling in the listing and you get it out in the mail the following day, they can't ding your shipping time stars...
BUT if you give yourself leeway and only state 3-day shipping, but still get it in the mail the following day, idiot buyers can still ding your stars.

If you offer free shipping and add the cost into your auction, buyers can't touch your shipping costs stars,
BUT if you leave it in the shipping cost field so you can effectively use it to give a discount to buyers, while charging fair shipping you get dinged by idiot buyers....

My buyers got hosed by ebay when I went to free shipping, Selling my cards at a minimum of $3.49 a piece now, rather than 3.49 with 1.74 each additional card.... I used to have people that would buy 10-12 cards at a time because they were buying cards at half their going price for each of the additional cards, but star dingers made it too risky of a business plan.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
joe, i cant confirm this 100% but when you list your item, there is an option for handling time.

change the setting to like 4 or 5 days

also input the track number within 24 hours after payment is made

i believe you get an automatic 5 stars (same as when you ship free) when the item is received on the estimated time of arrival or sooner.

that way, when you extend the handling time to be stretched to 4-5 days after payment is made, it gives you some extra time where if the item is received within that generated estimated arrival time on ebay, i think you get an automatic 5 stars where the buyer cant leave DDR score for shipping time

again, this is what i heard. i asked a seller a few months back when i tried to leave a feedback, no option for shipping charge (it was free) and shipping time so when i emailed the guy and asked how you can set that up, he told me to change the handling time. and all this time, i had it set for 1 day.

since i changed the setting, ive been getting 5 stars (not that i wasnt before as i cant confirm if this is what my buyers are seeing)

hope this helps

and yes, these things suck. i got a 1 star for item not described when the buyer said the condition was bad. son of a beetch emails me a few weeks after complaining saying it got gem mint bgs 9.5. blocked the bastard, naturally..ebay sucks! but its our only option... ;(

i just typed all this through my cell... damn that took a while. lol

dave

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
Print postage through paypal within 24 hours of the payment and they cannot leave ratings for shipping speed.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
jumbojohnny said:
Print postage through paypal within 24 hours of the payment and they cannot leave ratings for shipping speed.

Good tip, I'll have to try that one.

Tom

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
daveyou said:
joe, i cant confirm this 100% but when you list your item, there is an option for handling time.

change the setting to like 4 or 5 days

also input the track number within 24 hours after payment is made

i believe you get an automatic 5 stars (same as when you ship free) when the item is received on the estimated time of arrival or sooner.

that way, when you extend the handling time to be stretched to 4-5 days after payment is made, it gives you some extra time where if the item is received within that generated estimated arrival time on ebay, i think you get an automatic 5 stars where the buyer cant leave DDR score for shipping time

Edit see post below.

Tom Oates said:
jumbojohnny said:

Good tip, I'll have to try that one.

Tom

I always print within 24 hours and still got dinged. :(

I think dave is on to something. The shipping time I always had at 3 days (I thought that meant 3 days to get it out) not 3 days to get to you..

Great Tip!

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
Found it :

You will automatically receive a 5-star shipping time detailed seller rating if:
*You specify 1-day handling.
*You upload US Postal Service, UPS, or FedEx supported tracking information by the end of the next business day (Pacific Time) after the buyer's payment clears. A business day is a normal weekday. Saturdays, Sundays, and major holidays aren't business days.
*Delivery Confirmation or tracking shows confirmed delivery 4 business days from when the payment clears or within your estimated delivery time if it's less than 4 days (for example, overnight shipping).

Note: In some instances, there may be a delay in processing your shipping details, and buyers may be able to leave you a detailed seller rating for shipping time. If you have met the automatic 5-star shipping time requirements, your rating will be adjusted to 5 stars.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
When doing my auctions I always try to keep it simple, yet make sure to spell things out as if I was selling to a 5 year old.

I had a boss once that best explained it to - "Its the ASSumption game. And if you ASSume that EVERYBODY and ANYBODY can understand you, then the only ASS in the matter is you." -- I always find this true because the level of stupidity always seems to sink lower, and therefore i need to prepare my auctions for the dumbest of the dumb.

One day I hope Ebay brings back seller feedback so that vindictive buyer will think twice before clicking the submit button.

Wes

OG
Administrator
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
Buyer pays at night, next morning it goes out in the mail. Takes 6 days to go from NY to CA and you still give me a low star (1 or 2) for shipping? USPS not me! Thinking about charging for Priority on ALL cards. This way they get their cards FAST! ::facepalm::

I know I can offer free shipping and shut down that feature, but they ding you in another catergory to make up for it. :evil:

BTW....do I have to check my payments at 11:45 each night and print out the shipping label to prevent it to??
Seems crazy I print lable less than 8 hours later and still get dinged!

Priority isn't faster than First Class.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
it is silly ebay makes you play all these games + lets buyers ding you for things like s/h charges which are disclosed upfront + for things like shipping transit time which you can't control. it's partly why i took off from selling sports cards for most of the past year or so, at least on ebay. way too much hassle and selling on amazon was/is WAY easier.

unless + until there's a serious ebay alternative- WITH sales velocity to back it up- ebay is "it". yes, COMC + some others have traction, but they have cons also (not easy to get your cash out like paypal, seemingly high fees, etc.).

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
As others have said, Lead Time is key. When I busted 40 cases of BDP and sold a bunch of lots early on, I put my lead time at around 15 days. It saved my DSR's (plus all the sorting help I got from Markakis8 - Carl).

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Call eBay, I had a similar occurrence and they removed the 1star rating.

Took me a while on the phone but I argued feedback manipulation, stating I received a positive feedback but receive DSR numbers related to a negative feedback.

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
Just make it free shipping. U will get a perfect score on shipping this way. I find out the ending price is somewhat same or similar when I do free shipping. So U never have to worry or call ebay to argue.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
In response to Reljac's comment about his buyers getting hosed -

When I am shopping for my cards, I prefer to buy multiple items from the same seller to save on shipping costs (like the minimum shipping plus 25 cents per additional). That keeps the cost of the card down, which is always an incentive. Once you go free shipping, it spikes the purchase price of the card and i tend to not bid on those auctions. I dont want to ruffle any sellers feathers by asking if i buy more than one card, can we make it cheaper. Seems like sellers have enough to deal with already without me trying to make myself a better deal.

- So it sucks that in order to prevent stupid buyers from screwing with your seller ratings, you have to put off some potential buyers. Crap situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts