Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Buy, Hold, or Sell : Taijuan Walker?

Buy, Sell, or Hold?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
Here's a quick poll just to see what everyone thinks. I've got a decent stash of Taijuan Walker, and prices are beginning creep upwards. A recent Bowman Sterling auto went for $17.50 + $2.50 S&H and it had several bids over $15. I think that's a new high for the Sterling auto, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyways, I'm on the fence with this one because anything at or over $20 seems like an obvious sell to me. Also, when I buy into a pitcher, I prefer to sell in the off season when injuries or unlikely to crush demand. BUT this kid is super talented, throws in the mid-90's, lots of groundballs, and all the talking heads seem to really like him. Just yesterday Kevin Goldstein had this to say about Walker:

"Bill Fisher (Syracuse): How many pitchers in the minors have a higher ceiling than Taijuan Walker right now?

Kevin Goldstein: Don't need more than two hands to count them."

I did not add any emphasis to those lines. That comes directly from the source (http://www.faketeams.com/2012/2/7/27837 ... at-excerpt).

So, I'm facing a dilemma. If Walker has a decent 2012 and gets into the top 10 for most prospect lists, he could be huge with Seattle fans. Matt Moore Donruss EE cards are sitting at $40, and the Tampa fan base is no where as big as Seattle. I could legitimately see Walker going for well over $30 in a matter of months, and possibly double that by next Spring Training. It's hard to find that kind of potential return, and it's almost a good argument to buy MORE Walker cards.

Just thought I'd throw this out to the FCB crew and see if there are any better arguments one way of the other.

_Adam G

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
A 19-year-old pitcher who has never ventured above single-A? How many high-ceiling pitchers end up having arm-issues and never panning out? Right now prospectors are just clamoring for the next Pineda. The choice is pretty easy:

SELL!!!!

Hell, no need to wait for ebay. Just PM me.

BentWookieRama

Dec 3, 2011
It depends on what you have invested in him. If you paid a couple bucks for each auto sometime last year then maybe now is the time to sell some. However, take into consideration that the sterling is his only bowman auto and will be more desired than his elite auto.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
BentWookieRama said:
It depends on what you have invested in him. If you paid a couple bucks for each auto sometime last year then maybe now is the time to sell some. However, take into consideration that the sterling is his only bowman auto and will be more desired than his elite auto.

Conversely, if you only invested a couple buck in him, what's the harm in waiting.

I picked up 2 decent Elite autos in some random lot, then 3 Sterlings somewhere else along the way. I;ve made profit on each lot, so I almost can't lose holding.

I'd like to see if he can make one in-season list.

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
DeliciousBacon said:
Everyone here has been WANRED that Walker belongs to someone else already. Might as well just throw them out.

I remembered that right after I made this post! Should just pack them up and send them to that special someone.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
I want to know who the people are that said buy.

This is purely hypothetical from my standpoint, simply because he is too expensive for me to invest in, but let's say I had a stash of 10 EEE & 10 Sterling. I would definitely wait with these cards. I foresee him having a year comparable to the year Matt Moore had last year (short of the no-hitter). Remember what Matt Moore was selling for before his Bowman Chrome came out? The comparison isn't that far off, the BA guys feel Walker is in the same breath as Moore.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
For the record, the Walker sterling auto OP mentioned that finished for $17.50 + ship was shilled. Just a heads-up for those watching Walker auctions.

MiracleMatthew

Jan 15, 2010
Midland, TX
I would sell the **** out of them personally. If you're looking to make a profit there are many other players to invest in that will have MUCH quicker turnaround then Walker.

Members online

Latest posts