Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Grading Question about Refractor Line.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zbdub808

Nov 12, 2010
Has anyone had a card's surface grade 9 when they have pretty large refractor line? I have a card that is sharp in the edges and corners and centered pretty well, just worried about the surface.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
zbdub808 said:
Has anyone had a card's surface grade 9 when they have pretty large refractor line? I have a card that is sharp in the edges and corners and centered pretty well, just worried about the surface.

If you can get 10's on 3 sub grades and an 8.5 on surface, it could possibly pull a 9.5 overall grade.

zbdub808

Nov 12, 2010
jbrown said:
zbdub808 said:

If you can get 10's on 3 sub grades and an 8.5 on surface, it could possibly pull a 9.5 overall grade.

No it get's a BGS 9, I'm pretty sure it's one more higher then the lowest grade

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
zbdub808 said:
jbrown said:
zbdub808 said:

You sure

scan0013-2.jpg

zbdub808

Nov 12, 2010
George_Calfas said:
zbdub808 said:
jbrown said:
zbdub808 said:

You sure

scan0013-2.jpg

touché haha never knew that

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
moxacaine said:
if i recall those refractor lines can sometimes be rubbed out using ***** hose i think.

A true refractor line is part of the card. It isn't going anywhere.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I told my wife to put pantyhose on and moonwalk across some Chrome to get the refractor lines out.

Surprised it didn't work.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I dont think it would get rid of roller marks either. I have never seen anything take those off the card. Same with printing lines.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
jcmint said:
I dont think it would get rid of roller marks either. I have never seen anything take those off the card. Same with printing lines.

i saw it done with the 2006 BC cards that had the roller mark. refractor lines are another story. nothing you can do about those.

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
What is a refractor line? And what is the difference between a refractor line and an out and out scratch running down the card?

I have some base autos with some minor scratches, but what is a refractor line and how much does it devalue the card? Still Near Mint?

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I too thought that the highest final grade you could get is 0.5 higher than the lowest subgrade.
Maybe some subgrades are weighed differently? I guess I'm lucky this one got a 9 and not an 8.5.
2000UDExclusivesGoldBGS.jpg

On the topic of refractor lines, roller lines, etc, wouldn't a print line take away from the surface grade?
I'm pretty sure that this card wouldn't grade so high if it had been done by BGS (blue print line across his thighs):
1990ToppsTradedPSA.jpg

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I've shown this scan before but especially in the 2008 and later Xfractors, they're tougher to see in person which leaves room for error...the scan of this card shows the line near the top of the card very clearly, although it was tough to see in person. Surface grade = 9.5

PerryX95.jpg

zbdub808

Nov 12, 2010
All The Hype said:
I've shown this scan before but especially in the 2008 and later Xfractors, they're tougher to see in person which leaves room for error...the scan of this card shows the line near the top of the card very clearly, although it was tough to see in person. Surface grade = 9.5

PerryX95.jpg

Wow that worked out well for you

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
All The Hype said:

PerryX95.jpg

Definately surprised to see that, especially considering most Xfractors with X lines end up with an 8.5 surface sub. From my understanding, an X line lowers the sub by 1 full point, so it's theoretically possible to get a 9 surface grade (assuming the surface is a flawless 10 without the X line) and still have the card gem, but this obviously doesn't happen often because the surface on Chrome cards is often far from perfect.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Again, it was far tougher to see lines on those cards in person. They appeared much more silver and only appear black in scans. Not sure how that works, but I made almost $40 on that card somehow so I can't complain :p

Members online

Latest posts