Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nail in the coffin for PED abusers chances at HOF induction?

Does this change anything about players with ties to PED abuse chances at induction?

• Yes, clearly the HOF is making a statement here and does not want PED abusers in the Hall

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/46310780

"The Baseball Hall of Fame is starting a drug education program for students and young adults - in the same year Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Sammy Sosa will appear on ballot for the first time after careers tainted by steroid accusations."

Although they claim this has nothing to do with past players with ties to PEDs making or not making the Hall, it would seem very counterproductive to me to create a program teaching kids the dangers and lack of ethics of PED abuse while in the same breath heaping praise upon players with ties to such abuse.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Re: Nail in the coffin of PED abusers chances at HOF induction?

While its certainly coming out against PEDs, the HOF seems to be saying the PED issue is *not* black and white (like gambling). As the quote from the article below says, PEDs may still be voted upon/judged in the context of character, sportsmanship and integrity.

"Hall of Fame voting has been a part of this nation's fabric since 1936, and has touted the virtues of character, sportsmanship and integrity, along with the contributions to the game, as integral qualifications for earning election," Idelson said.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

uniquebaseballcards said:
While its certainly coming out against PEDs, the HOF seems to be saying the PED issue is *not* black and white (like gambling). As the quote from the article below says, PEDs may still be voted upon/judged in the context of character, sportsmanship and integrity.

"Hall of Fame voting has been a part of this nation's fabric since 1936, and has touted the virtues of character, sportsmanship and integrity, along with the contributions to the game, as integral qualifications for earning election," Idelson said.

That's why this seems to me like more of an "unspoken" way of publicly telling voters not to vote in PED abusers.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.

the Hall of Fame is becoming a bigger joke every year anyway so who cares...

to me it would be great if some of the PED guys that have a chance came out and said they don't care about the HOF because its not the one that paid them millions to set them up for life.. the PED's did.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

sportscardtheory said:

That's why this seems to me like more of an "unspoken" way of publicly telling voters not to vote in PED abusers.

Its tough to say. But just by having this education program the HOF is admitting that PEDs were/are part of the game. I really think the HOF is taking a pragmatic approach to this and saying some users are worse than others and that HOF candidates known/assumed to have used PEDs still need to be judged against HOF criteria...but that PEDs make it tougher for a candidate to get in depending on his level of offense.

After all, the HOF itself would be in a tough spot if something PED-related were exposed about a current HOFer.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC

I've always thought the HOF in any sport was more for the marginal HOF players anyway. If you are a true clear-cut HOF player you know it. No one has to induct Jordan into the basketball HOF to justify his career. Same goes with any of the true stars in any sport.

It's like what just happened with the Super Bowl. No one was discussing if Brady would be a HOF one day. There's no discussion. However, with Eli Manning it's a discussion that's now started.

Wes

OG
Administrator

sportscardtheory said:

Its tough to say. But just by having this education program the HOF is admitting that PEDs were/are part of the game. I really think the HOF is taking a pragmatic approach to this and saying some users are worse than others and that HOF candidates known/assumed to have used PEDs still need to be judged against HOF criteria...but that PEDs make it tougher for a candidate to get in depending on his level of offense.

After all, the HOF itself would be in a tough spot if something PED-related were exposed about a current HOFer.

That's already happened. Ever heard of Hank Aaron?

Members online

Latest posts