Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Grading cards increase value how much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardguy

Aug 24, 2008
OHIO
I have always wondered, normally when a card is graded a 9.5, how much does it increase it's value? 3x? 4x?

Then also how about when a card grades a 10? 5x? 6x?

Would just like to hear what you guys think....thanks.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
cardguy said:
I have always wondered, normally when a card is graded a 9.5, how much does it increase it's value? 3x? 4x?

All depends on the card. I know that's not a fun answer, but it's the truth. For older cards, or really condition sensitive cards, it could be much higher than that. For most cards it will be lower, and for some there is almost no increase.

cardguy

Aug 24, 2008
OHIO
Topnotchsy said:
cardguy said:

All depends on the card. I know that's not a fun answer, but it's the truth. For older cards, or really condition sensitive cards, it could be much higher than that. For most cards it will be lower, and for some there is almost no increase.

I understand what you are saying. I was talking more down the lines of newer cards. I just didn't know if any of the experts here, had a rule of thumb at all?

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
can be a lot. Look at PSA stuff and registry. Some common 1970's card may be 10 cent card raw. But if it's hard to find in say a PSA 9 it could sell for thousands graded. But chances of finding a nice raw that could turn into a 9 may be next to impossible. Always good to know PSA pop on cards for registry freaks.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
It depends on the card, definitely.

Personally, I like grading cards that have no business being graded. Just cards that look awesome slabbed.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
cardguy said:
Topnotchsy said:
cardguy said:

I understand what you are saying. I was talking more down the lines of newer cards. I just didn't know if any of the experts here, had a rule of thumb at all?

Honestly I think anyone who offers a rule of thumb is simplifying things to the point that is may be worth little.

That said, some general rules:

More expensive cards will get a smaller multiple that cheaper cards. (A $10 card may become a $30 card as a 9.5, but a $100 card will more likely be a $150 card.)

Condition sensitivity matters a lot. For cards that are die-cut (like some Elite parallels) the multiple will be higher than a card where a huge percentage get 9.5's (like a Leaf Valiant card where the cards were really such good condition.)

Rookie cards are almost always the only cards that get much of a premium at all. Other than that, sometimes the rarest sets and some of the tough 90's cards get a nice premium.

cardguy

Aug 24, 2008
OHIO
Topnotchsy said:
cardguy said:
Topnotchsy said:
cardguy said:

Honestly I think anyone who offers a rule of thumb is simplifying things to the point that is may be worth little.

That said, some general rules:

More expensive cards will get a smaller multiple that cheaper cards. (A $10 card may become a $30 card as a 9.5, but a $100 card will more likely be a $150 card.)

Condition sensitivity matters a lot. For cards that are die-cut (like some Elite parallels) the multiple will be higher than a card where a huge percentage get 9.5's (like a Leaf Valiant card where the cards were really such good condition.)

Rookie cards are almost always the only cards that get much of a premium at all. Other than that, sometimes the rarest sets and some of the tough 90's cards get a nice premium.

You bring some great points to the table. Thanks a ton.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
matchpenalty said:
can be a lot. Look at PSA stuff and registry. Some common 1970's card may be 10 cent card raw. But if it's hard to find in say a PSA 9 it could sell for thousands graded. But chances of finding a nice raw that could turn into a 9 may be next to impossible. Always good to know PSA pop on cards for registry freaks.
The '84 Chambliss that was discussed recently is a perfect example.
[ebay:1vwvkblw]230739427240[/ebay:1vwvkblw]

plinvestments

Nov 1, 2011
High demand cards will always garner a premium, especially if they are condition sensitive such as tom brady foiled rookies and playoff contenders. I like to grade real sp cards since they look awesome slabbed. They can draw a huge premium if its the best example out there in the population.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
There really is no rule of thumb.
It DEFINITELY depends on the card (how condition sensitive it is), player, population report on said card, print run, ect.
MANY factors to take into effect.

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
The way I've been looking at graded cards is a bit generalized, but I really only pay attention to graded RCs from about 2005 to now.

PSA 9 -- might sell the same as a raw, might sell for less by 10-20%
PSA 10 -- will probably sell higher than a raw, but the % increase could be 10% up to 100%+

BGS 9 -- same as raw
BGS 9.5 -- about 30-50% higher than a raw, sometimes 100% higher depending on supply/demand
BGS 10 -- the sky is the limit. If you can get 2 BGS 10 fanatics bidding against one another AND the player has generally high demand, you could easily get 300% or more of raw value.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Bowman-Chr ... 1478wt_698

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Population of a card at that grade is also important. If you have the first BGS 9.5 it would generally sell for a lot more than the 2000th card graded at that level.

Latest posts