Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yankees/Pirates talking A.J. Burnett trade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
notjomommasclint said:
i still fail to see how acquiring aj burnett is good for anyone.

There aren't many teams that would benefit from getting Burnett. But I do believe the Pirates are on of the very few. The key is also the Yankees eating most of his $33 million left and the Pirates giving up a couple 25 year old "prospects"

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
markakis8 said:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/yankees-pirates-talking-aj-burnett-trade.html?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

I know there are a lot of AJ Burnett jokes but I think this could be good for both sides. Burnett still has the stuff of a good #2 pitcher. He could easily strike out 225 in the NL Central. I would definitely make the Yankees eat most of the salary though.
225 Ks......come on now.

tm decomposer

Aug 29, 2010
markakis8 said:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/yankees-pirates-talking-aj-burnett-trade.html?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

I know there are a lot of AJ Burnett jokes but I think this could be good for both sides. Burnett still has the stuff of a good #2 pitcher. He could easily strike out 225 in the NL Central. I would definitely make the Yankees eat most of the salary though.
LOL

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
George_Calfas said:
markakis8 said:

225 Ks......come on now.

He struck out 231 in the AL East 4 years ago and still averages over 8K per 9 innings....If he throws 220 innings, 225 in the NL Central is not a leap of faith.

A.J. Burnett, like Javier Vazquez, has always been a strikeout pitcher. They are very similar pitchers.

In 2004 Vazquez was with the Yankees, struck out 150 in 198 IP, then went on to pitch subpar and mediocre seasons with the Dbacks and White Sox (he did have one good year with the White Sox). Then, in 2009, 5 years after this Yankees stint (where it looked like he was done), he posted a 15-10 record with 238 K's and a 2.87 ERA in the NL East with the Braves.

So, how is it that big of a stretch to assume Burnett could bounce back and K 225 in the NL Central - the weakest division in baseball? I'm not saying he's GOING to do it. But he has the potential to.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
burnett 2012 w/ pirates

18-7
3.12 ERA
4 complete games
185 k's
4th in cy youg voting.

burnett 2012 w yankees

3-16
5.77 erz
123 k's
killed in the parking lot in mid sept.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Fixed

boomo said:
burnett 2012 w/ pirates

18-7
3.12 ERA
4 complete games
225 k's
4th in cy youg voting.

burnett 2012 w yankees

3-16
5.77 erz
123 k's
killed in the parking lot in mid sept. by boomo

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
i think away from new york he could be decent. some guys just cant play in new york. ill really miss him.

burnett56787987678.jpg

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Game 2 of the 2009 World Series really makes me think that one day he could put it together.

I'm sure AJ would succeed outside of New York. See: Carl Pavano.

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
If the Yankees acquired a bologna sandwich for Burnett, it would be a steal for them. I'd even request a slice of cheese (type to be named later) to really come out on top.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
markakis8 said:
George_Calfas said:
markakis8 said:

225 Ks......come on now.

He struck out 231 in the AL East 4 years ago and still averages over 8K per 9 innings....If he throws 220 innings, 225 in the NL Central is not a leap of faith.

A.J. Burnett, like Javier Vazquez, has always been a strikeout pitcher. They are very similar pitchers.

In 2004 Vazquez was with the Yankees, struck out 150 in 198 IP, then went on to pitch subpar and mediocre seasons with the Dbacks and White Sox (he did have one good year with the White Sox). Then, in 2009, 5 years after this Yankees stint (where it looked like he was done), he posted a 15-10 record with 238 K's and a 2.87 ERA in the NL East with the Braves.

So, how is it that big of a stretch to assume Burnett could bounce back and K 225 in the NL Central - the weakest division in baseball? I'm not saying he's GOING to do it. But he has the potential to.

Tossing out stats from 4 years ago........again seriously???? He is 35 not 31......and not Randy Johnson.

Vazquez went into a situation where he had a better pitching coach; Pittsburgh would not be an upgrade at Pitching coach.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
George_Calfas said:
Pittsburgh would not be an upgrade at Pitching coach.

On the contrary, look at the pitchers Pittsburgh had last year and how decent they did. They fared pretty well and were the sole reason Pittsburgh was "in the race" at the All-Star break.

I'm not asking you to think AJ Burnett is going to strike out 225 batters. I'm asking you to think it's not that unreasonable.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
I hope this happens.

For the Yankees, either way they have to pay his salary. Might as well pay it and put in the loss column on the tax returns.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I think he could do well with the Pirates. Pitchers park, away from the stress of NY...might be a chance for him to do really well.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
MojoDan said:
I think he could do well with the Pirates. Pitchers park, away from the stress of NY...might be a chance for him to do really well.

Tell George, he will do 225-k well :lol:

Latest posts