Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

another ebay/seller rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Just opened a package and a puff of smoke came out with the cards...
what do you do then?
I have not bought cards from smokers in years and I am literally getting sick from the smell...
Is there a way without ruining the cards to get the cigarette smell out of the cards?

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
Leave them outside or in a well vented space (I use my stove vent). They should be alright in a day or two.

I am a former smoker, and I collected, traded, and sold while I was a smoker. I never once got complaints about my cards or packages. Then again maybe because I kept my cards in the room that was NO SMOKING they didnt smell. The prices and values (and in some cases the sentiment) of my cards makes me appreciate them too much to ruin them with smoke.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
That drives me crazy. I often forget to look for "non-smoker" in the description. As others have said, leave them out for a few days. I use my garage for it.

Speaking of card smells...has anyone noticed the very strong bad soap like smell on new Topps cards. Not the high end ones, but basic Series 1 and Series 2 and updates. It is not on all my cards, but when it is there, wow...which makes me think that one printer is using an odd detergent in the printing process.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I find more times than not the smoke smell is attached to the plastics and not the actual card, simply replacing the top loader, penny sleeve and team bag when applicable fixes this for me 99% of the time.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
MisterT said:
That drives me crazy. I often forget to look for "non-smoker" in the description. As others have said, leave them out for a few days. I use my garage for it.

Speaking of card smells...has anyone noticed the very strong bad soap like smell on new Topps cards. Not the high end ones, but basic Series 1 and Series 2 and updates. It is not on all my cards, but when it is there, wow...which makes me think that one printer is using an odd detergent in the printing process.

They may be dabbling with new zero VOC type inks, I know they have a peculiar smell sometimes.

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN
I hate getting cards in that are saturated with smoke. The worst is the ones that have yellowed top-loaders & I've gotten cards in with the top (exposed) edge yellowed. :|

MisterT said:

I haven't noticed that, but every value box (Harper, BC & update) I opened smelled like shat inside. I'm not sure if it is the glue they used to hold the Harper pack in place or just an omen of what was to come. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts