Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fun with an Ebay buyer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
I had been having pretty good luck avoiding issues on Ebay until today. I sold a 2010 Ackley BC auto via BO and got this message today:

"I got this card with the Love today and it IS NOT the same card pictured. You show a perfectly centered copy of the card that I was willing to pay strong on. You sent me a horribly off centered card. Advise."

Not the most cordial tone, but whatever. It certainly could have been my fault. I bought two copies of the card last summer and sold one at a show. I may have accidentally used the wrong scan, it which case I am at fault, but I didn't think I did. I responded with this:

"I apologize the card did not meet your expectation. Please send it back to the return address on the package and I will issue a full refund."

A short time later I received this response:

"No, mail me the card shown and I will mail this card back when you've paid for me to ship it back. You should have just mailed the card pictured in the first place. "

I really don't know what else to do at this point. I owned up for it and said I'd give a full refund. I don't know why someone would think I'd try to swap out copies of a card to make MAYBE $10. I reiterated I only have one copy of the card and may have used the wrong scan and again offered a full refund. Fully expecting my first neg after staying perfect for 1066 transactions.

Am I doing anything wrong here?

isotopes4

Feb 27, 2009
not who i was thinking. he wants you to send another card and then he will send the other back......sounds fishy to me lol

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
What did you have as the return policy in the auction? I'm sure you didn't say, "If you're not happy I'll send you a another one and pay your shipping." It's unreasonable to make the demands he's making and expect a seller to have multiple copies of a card, IMHO. Since you've accepted responsibility for a possible listing error and have offered a full refund, I would hope you'd be OK even if he files a claim and gives a negative feedback. Wouldn't eBay rule in your favor if a clear return policy was in the listing?

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Stick to the system. Document everything. That's your best recourse.

The bright-side is you have enough transactions where one neg won't even put your percentage under 100%. Not the end of the world to get a neg in your situation, so I wouldn't lose any additional money over it.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
olerud363 said:
What did you have as the return policy in the auction? I'm sure you didn't say, "If you're not happy I'll send you a another one and pay your shipping." It's unreasonable to make the demands he's making and expect a seller to have multiple copies of a card, IMHO. Since you've accepted responsibility for a possible listing error and have offered a full refund, I would hope you'd be OK even if he files a claim and gives a negative feedback. Wouldn't eBay rule in your favor if a clear return policy was in the listing?

Here is the auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310374165675?ss ... 500wt_1156

The return policy I used says "no returns or exchanges" but with the buyer protection you have to accept anything back if they file a claim.

I hope I'd be okay, but with the general aptitude of the ebay CSRs I have dealt with I am always nervous.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
You said that you would give him a full refund, but you didn't say you would also pay for return postage. Make sure to mention that to him, and if he decides that isn't enough and still gives you a negative you'll have proof that you did everything you could.

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
ThoseBackPages said:
Sorry to hear this has happened to you. Another strike against raw

Sigh. He had the wrong picture up on the listing and the buyer got sent a different card than the one pictured in the listing. How is this a "strike against raw"? Im dying to hear your response.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
perfectly centered?

$(KGrHqN,!n0E8VLUcCIvBPHQiGbh0w~~60_12.JPG

:?

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
@ny3 - I am aware of that, but I never planned to contest it. I have offered a full refund.

@mrwhitesox30 - I sent this as my last response:

Hi. I can assure you this is the only copy of the Ackley that I still own. I purchased 2 copies of the card late last summer and sold one at a local show. I believe I may have inadvertently used the scan of the card I no longer have. Since you currently have the only copy of the card I still had, I am unable to send you any other copy. I greatly apologize for the inconvenience and am happy to work with you to make you happy. If it works for you I can send you money now to cover shipping to return the card and will send a full refund once I receive it.

For the board in general, I received this from a friendly member via PM.

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=iqx&Dirn=Left+by

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
I'm not usually one to block bidders but this guy just got blocked. Way too many negatives given. I've bought thousands of items on ebay and have had maybe 2 issues that were bad enough for me to even bother the seller with.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts