Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

*Sigh* Sent a package to the wrong address

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdsingar

Feb 10, 2011
Last week I sent out two packages that were eBay purchases. Long story short, I put the same address on both packages when there were two different buyers. I put delivery confirmation and it appears that both packages were delivered to the same person. Unfortunately for me, the package I put the wrong address on was a $120 card.

So I am wondering, do I have any options from here? I have emailed the buyer of the item whose address I used and have yet to hear any response. I offered to pay for shipping plus some money for their time. It is possible they may return it to sender. If they don't send it back, is there anything I can do? I am figuring I am just going to have to eat the loss for my carelessness, but I just want to make sure.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
jdsingar said:
Last week I sent out two packages that were eBay purchases. Long story short, I put the same address on both packages when there were two different buyers. I put delivery confirmation and it appears that both packages were delivered to the same person. Unfortunately for me, the package I put the wrong address on was a $120 card.

So I am wondering, do I have any options from here? I have emailed the buyer of the item whose address I used and have yet to hear any response. I offered to pay for shipping plus some money for their time. It is possible they may return it to sender. If they don't send it back, is there anything I can do? I am figuring I am just going to have to eat the loss for my carelessness, but I just want to make sure.

Yep, unless the buyer is a good dude or chick. Otherwise, most people would have no problem pocketing the free card(s). Its unfortunate, but true

pgwtamu

Feb 13, 2009
oh wow man.....I know you don't want to hear this, but dang......$120 isn't an easy amount to swallow, when the mistake would have been so easy to correct.....sorry you have to go thru it.....hope you have an honest buyer

Been on both sides....
I received a card that was not mine and contacted the seller. I even shipped it to the right winner for him. :D
I sent two packages as well to a buyer. Contacted him numerous times. Never responded. Kept the card! :evil:

I think the buyer will respond, Give them a day or two. Good Luck!

Jedi500

Jan 2, 2009
I once mis shipped a Superfractor and a lot of chrome cards.............. But anyone dude with the super sent back and gave him the cards + $10 in cash

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
Been on both sides....
I received a card that was not mine and contacted the seller. I even shipped it to the right winner for him. :D
I sent two packages as well to a buyer. Contacted him numerous times. Never responded. Kept the card! :evil:

I think the buyer will respond, Give them a day or two. Good Luck!

Both scenarios have happened to me as well. Interestingly enough the one time I shipped to the correct buyer I got a surprise package from the original seller...I don't prospect so I don't know what I got....it made for a good contest on here though.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Remember it was your mistake so I wouldn't threaten the person who got the wrong cards. Just be calm and explain the situation. I and make sure you give them plenty of time to make it right.

jdsingar

Feb 10, 2011
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It looks like I will just wait and hope for the best. I don't really have any other option. If I don't end up getting it back, I know worse things have happened. I think most people are honest and like to treat others as they would like to be, so I think there's a good chance they'll return it.

socalyard

Feb 13, 2011
SoCal
Keep us posted. If this guy doesn't return the card I will make sure to avoid him...that's pretty messed up. Hopefully he is a good guy and will do the right thing - good luck!

G

I recently did the same thing, sent a $10 card and a $300+ card to the same address. Didn't know I made the mistake til yesterday, have yet to hear back from the buyer. Cards are still in transit on their way to Canada. Fingers crossed that the buyer will cooperate...he seemed like a real nice guy and he is Canadian, aye?

best of luck to you!

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
wweshop.com has sent me double orders a few times when I've ordered from the website, and as I see it, there's no way I'm going to say anything about it as a buyer.

My best advice, be more careful in the future, because honestly, no matter how much it sucks, there is no one to blame other than yourself for not being more attentive.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Sam Banks said:
wweshop.com has sent me double orders a few times when I've ordered from the website, and as I see it, there's no way I'm going to say anything about it as a buyer.

My best advice, be more careful in the future, because honestly, no matter how much it sucks, there is no one to blame other than yourself for not being more attentive.
[youtube:3gmh15do]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBh895KdXAU[/youtube:3gmh15do]

fsulevine

Mar 5, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
I use a different e-mail address for PayPal than I do for my personal e-mail and E-Bay. I rarely check the PayPal e-mail... maybe every couple weeks when I am active on E-Bay and with PayPal. I usually send to addresses as listed on the E-Bay account and in the e-mail I get from E-Bay. Once it is marked paid on E-Bay, I ship it. Late last year, I was checking my PayPal e-mail account and had received an e-mail from a buyer that he had just moved and didn't realize he had forgotten to change his address on his E-Bay and PayPal accounts and gave me the correct address to ship it to. The time stamp on the e-mail was the night before I shipped it, probably within 24 hours of his payment. Unfortunately, I read the e-mail like a week later. Told him the situation and that it was already shipped to the old address (both new and old addresses were in Canada). I never did get feedback from him, and twice I tried to follow up with him a couple week later, but did not hear back. Wasn't a big card... base chrome WBC Yu Darvish. Hope he got it.

One time, I received a box of 2004 Leaf Certified in the mail. It was addressed to me. I had never bid on such an item, let alone won one. It had been a month or so prior to that when I had last been active on E-Bay (was in graduate school and busy time of the semester for me). A sports card shop across the country was the return address, but there was no E-Bay slip or receipt or anything similar in the package. I had not recalled doing business over E-Bay before with said shop. Thought about it for a few hours, tried to search Google for a website for the shop. No luck. So, I figured it may have been a random gift from someone on Beckett or something. Ended up busting it.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Sam Banks said:

Yeah, as the person who receives both, just keeping them is the right thing to do and then blame the seller for an honest mistake.

A shining beacon of integrity.

asw37

Mar 9, 2010
I think its more than a question of honesty if person gets the wrong card or an extra high dollar card by accidentally shipped to them and chooses to keep it without saying anything. I consider it theft if they are told of the mistake but still choose to keep the card. Mistakes do happen, but this is the type of mistake that SHOULD be easily corrected, but things are not always as they should be.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
I received a package and it had an invoice with $625 of cards..
The last name of the buyer on the package my fathers name (who doesn't buy cards)..
I knew the seller and called him up and thanked him for the cards I didn't order...
Told him I would send them on their way to the buyer and felt really good, doing the right thing!

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Casebusters said:
I received a package and it had an invoice with $625 of cards..
The last name of the buyer on the package my fathers name (who doesn't buy cards)..
I knew the seller and called him up and thanked him for the cards I didn't order...
Told him I would send them on their way to the buyer and felt really good, doing the right thing!

At least once a year this happens to me and the last time i'd bought 2 cards worth less than 10 dollars. When i opened the package, there was a card worth at least 100 dollars. i contacted the seller and his response was he was trying to figure out who may have gotten it. I took the address and mailed it and in response, he refunded me my money for the purchase and since, will always contact me when he has phillies cards of any kind and he generally gives me a 30% cut.

I am not judging anyone but to me, its not worth it.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
I've sent the wrong card a few times over the course of the past couple years. It is easier to do than you might think when there are sets with same or similar names (eg. Finest Xfractors versus Topps Chrome Xfractors versus Bowman Chrome Xfractors). The first two times I shipped the wrong card to the first paying bidder then when the other bidder paid I quickly realized my mistake. I contacted each recipient to see if I would get cooperation then I then shipped the correct card with a prepaid postage envelope including DC for the person to easily ship the other card to the appropriate buyer. No problem with those. There was one case where I shipped a $40 card to the wrong person when he ordered a $20 card. I never did hear from that buyer so I just kept the $20 card and only took a small hit. The worst part was explaining to one of by repeat customers that I screwed up and shipped his card to some clown on the other side of the country and wasn't getting it back. I have had several sellers send me the wrong cards over the years and I simply contact them asking for the appropriate buyers address. I don't even mind paying the buck out of pocket but the sellers have always offered to compensate with cash or cards. Most eBay members do seem to be good people but there certainly are a percentage of duds out there. That's pretty much life anywhere though.

Members online

Latest posts