Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

question about 2008 Topps M&M printing plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Hi, wondering if anyone knows how many of each printing plate there actually is. Beckett's database list 4 printing plates for these cards (Black, Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow).

I own the Magenta plate below:

MartinezPedro_2008ToppsMMPrintingPlatesMagenta.jpg

then I noticed on ebay there is an item listing for what appears to be the same Magenta plate

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Topps-Mome ... 3f13d6d3b8

anyone know if there are multiple plates out there?

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
There is definitely more than 1 set of plates, as I believe someone here has multiple CC Sabathias.

bustin_knuckles said:
I always wondered this too. Could there be 4 printing plates for each of the Regular, Black, Blue and Red parallels?
this might be right.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
Players have multiple cards in this set and the only thing that is different on them are the numbers of wins, saves, strikeouts, hits, etc. So my guess is that each card with a different number has 4 printing plates, but that is just my theory.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
clarkzac said:
Players have multiple cards in this set and the only thing that is different on them are the numbers of wins, saves, strikeouts, hits, etc. So my guess is that each card with a different number has 4 printing plates, but that is just my theory.
That would be 100s of plates for each player... ::facepalm:: :lol:

Every pack would have a printing plate in it.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
ChasHawk said:
clarkzac said:

But they didn't have to insert every single plate into the product. I'm not familiar with it, I never opened any of it.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
ChasHawk said:
clarkzac said:

PRINTING PLATES - Each is a one of one!
* Milestone Printing Plates - The 4 plates used to make all 188 Milestone cards for a total of 752 plates.

* Autographed Milestone Printing Plates - The 4 plates from all 60 Rookie and Milestone Autographed cards, with signatures. 240 autographed plates in all.

got this from Blowout

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
holy cr*p

i'm surprised I don't see more plates out there!

thanks everyone for your input

p.s. i'm a consultant, having 4 plates for everyone of 188 cards seems very complex and unnecessary...

DBacks08

Sep 21, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Just spitballing, but is it possible that one of those two is supposed to be the autographed variation plate that just didn't get auto'd? That might explain it.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
clarkzac said:
ChasHawk said:
clarkzac said:

* Milestone Printing Plates - The 4 plates used to make all 188 Milestone cards for a total of 752 plates.

* Autographed Milestone Printing Plates - The 4 plates from all 60 Rookie and Milestone Autographed cards, with signatures. 240 autographed plates in all.

got this from Blowout

Yeah, there's no possible way that's correct. I've only seen one plate of my guy.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
clarkzac said:
ChasHawk said:
clarkzac said:

got this from Blowout
Yeah, that's 992 plates, which is normal for pretty much every set of this size.

If they made 1 plate for each different number on each different milestone, that would have been 1,000s of plates.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
For comparison, there are 400 plates for 2011 Tribute, because there were only 100 base cards.

There are 734 plates for 2011 Triple Threads because of all the White Whale variations.

I think the cases where more than 1 M&M plate is out there was just a packout mistake.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
ChasHawk said:
clarkzac said:
ChasHawk said:
clarkzac said:

got this from Blowout
Yeah, that's 992 plates, which is normal for pretty much every set.

If they made 1 plate for each different number on each different milestone, that would have been 1,000s of plates.

Hanley has 176 cards in the set alone. 176*4=704. Definitely means 4 for the 188 cards in the set, 1 set for each player stat. There are two sets for Hanley since he has steals and runs.

That is how it should be, but there are multiple sets of plates. Not one for each number in the stat set, but maybe 2-3 for each stat.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Again, for comparison, each series of topps base has a plate for each of the 330 base cards. So that's 1,320 plates in each series, every year.

WAY more than Moments & Milestones.

bighurtcollector

Jan 1, 2009
at one point I had 4 black frank thomas white sox plates and i knew of 3 other collectors that had multiples as well. I had 3 yellow white sox ones as well. too too many to be considered 1/1's!!!

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
ChasHawk said:
There is definitely more than 1 set of plates, as I believe someone here has multiple CC Sabathias.

Good memory, and/or I feel famous!

I have this Black 1:

ToppsMilestonesPlateSet.jpg

IN ADDITION to these 4:

notcool.jpg

And I know of at least one more black out there... I don't have any answers, only many questions.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
^^ It just makes me think the semi-trained monkeys at topps accidentally packed out multiples of certain plates.

If every player/card from the set had 6+ plates, there'd have been a plate in every box and there'd be more than 27 listed on ebay right now.

Members online

Latest posts