Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best option for pre-draft players?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Hey,

I've been prospecting for many years, but never really bought anyone before they were drafted (outside of foreigners like Darvish.)

Looking this year there there seem to be a number of options. Topps USA, Bowman Platinum and Topps Chrome all have players who have not yet been drafted (not sure if there are any other sets.) Topps is on-card, as is Bowman Platinum (sharp looking cards IMO) though Topps Chrome is not.

Just curious what people's thoughts are on the different sets as far as personal appeal and ROI? From what I have noticed the most expensive right now is Topps Chrome, then Bowman Platinum and the Topps USA cards are the cheapest.

Thanks!

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Russ S. said:
ANY USA On Card Autos.
Don't like the Topps Chrome I guess? I'm trying to get a feel for the market because the Topps Chrome seem to be the favorites based on pricing.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Topnotchsy said:
Russ S. said:
ANY USA On Card Autos.
Don't like the Topps Chrome I guess? I'm trying to get a feel for the market because the Topps Chrome seem to be the favorites based on pricing.
Depends on year and player.
Personally, I prefer on card autos, but sometimes that isn't always an option.

Also, if the say the Topps Chrome was this year, and the USA auto was 2-3 years prior, I'm old school, so the old rules of XRC and players first cards will always be considered the most desirable to me.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Russ S. said:
Topnotchsy said:
[quote="Russ S.":292fqni3]ANY USA On Card Autos.
Depends on year and player.
Personally, I prefer on card autos, but sometimes that isn't always an option.

Also, if the say the Topps Chrome was this year, and the USA auto was 2-3 years prior, I'm old school, so the old rules of XRC and players first cards will always be considered the most desirable to me.[/quote:292fqni3]
I'm looking at 2011 cards, so all the same year, but the Topps Chrome are the only one's that are stickers. Don't know about print runs on each so there could be less of them.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Ah, ok. 2011
I think any auto of Appel you pick up will be fine.

Personally, the Topps Chrome is selling well, but I like the on-card look of the Topps & Platinum.

jaydub

Jun 18, 2010
Arvada, CO
2011 Topps Chrome is just college players, 2011 Bowman Chrome is 18U players so for the draft you have both to choose from for College and HS draftees. Both are sticker autos in this case. The 2011 Topps USA set includes college, 18u and 16u players and are all on card but the cards themselves are not chrome cards.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
I bought a ton of the Topps Chrome USA auto packs.
4 Red Auto, 5 Atomic Auto, 12+ Gold etc.
Bought about 15 Platinum redemptions and about 5 Topps USA Hobby sets.

Here's my review-

TC- Stickers. Ugh. Many are breaking down and accepting them though as time passes. Loved opening the packs. Reason I bought them. Collation is fair and no patterns (in my packs at least). Condition was good. Centering issues on about 20% and about 5% have a horizontal scratch on the upper L corner area. Key here I think is the parallels. Appeals to those with $5 or $100. Or make a nice rainbow to showcase in the sig.

Platinum- Collation was bad (at least early on when I rec'd mine). Chipping will keep many out of slabs and those that do Gem should have a nice premium. imo. Nice looking cards, but they are paper. The brand. Platinum. I feel the brand is not needed and could poof at anytime so I fear in investing in something that wont be around in the future.

Topps Box set- On card autos! Yeah. Paper cards though. Love the Gold ink cards and so does everyone at my LCS I talk to. Lack of patches are a downer for many. With the blue ink autos in retail, fear they cranked the presses on those. The Dahl SP (his only auto) could yield a nice return. Last years Topps Box set seemed to drop quick. Is Chrome really that powerful?

FWIW- I'm not a prospector. Well I guess since I bought these and am holding a few players to make a profit, I am. I should say I'm not a experienced prospector.

Sold all my Platinum. Only kept the low numbered Topps box set of 5 guys and same with TC. Overall, I figure TC to make me the most return and the ones I'll hold the longest as I sell off.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
MartinFFcollector said:
Topps Box set- On card autos! Yeah. Paper cards though. Love the Gold ink cards and so does everyone at my LCS I talk to.
I agree, the Golds look great!
/25
Brigman2011ToppsUSAGoldAutoRC25-25.jpg
Mercado-Hood2011ToppsUSAGoldAutoRC20-25.jpg

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
What sucks is that you're asking this question at the wrong time :)

This year's draft won't be near what the last few have been. Not that there isn't money to be made and not that there aren't talented players, but this year is going to be hard to figure out who, if anyone, is going to provide profit; let alone what release will be most desired.

FWIW: I LOVE on-card, paper autos. But Platinum is nice looking.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
MartinFFcollector said:
I bought a ton of the Topps Chrome USA auto packs.
4 Red Auto, 5 Atomic Auto, 12+ Gold etc.
Bought about 15 Platinum redemptions and about 5 Topps USA Hobby sets.

Here's my review-

TC- Stickers. Ugh. Many are breaking down and accepting them though as time passes. Loved opening the packs. Reason I bought them. Collation is fair and no patterns (in my packs at least). Condition was good. Centering issues on about 20% and about 5% have a horizontal scratch on the upper L corner area. Key here I think is the parallels. Appeals to those with $5 or $100. Or make a nice rainbow to showcase in the sig.

Platinum- Collation was bad (at least early on when I rec'd mine). Chipping will keep many out of slabs and those that do Gem should have a nice premium. imo. Nice looking cards, but they are paper. The brand. Platinum. I feel the brand is not needed and could poof at anytime so I fear in investing in something that wont be around in the future.

Topps Box set- On card autos! Yeah. Paper cards though. Love the Gold ink cards and so does everyone at my LCS I talk to. Lack of patches are a downer for many. With the blue ink autos in retail, fear they cranked the presses on those. The Dahl SP (his only auto) could yield a nice return. Last years Topps Box set seemed to drop quick. Is Chrome really that powerful?

FWIW- I'm not a prospector. Well I guess since I bought these and am holding a few players to make a profit, I am. I should say I'm not a experienced prospector.

Sold all my Platinum. Only kept the low numbered Topps box set of 5 guys and same with TC. Overall, I figure TC to make me the most return and the ones I'll hold the longest as I sell off.

Awesome, thanks!

Russ S. said:
MartinFFcollector said:
Topps Box set- On card autos! Yeah. Paper cards though. Love the Gold ink cards and so does everyone at my LCS I talk to.
I agree, the Golds look great!
/25
Brigman2011ToppsUSAGoldAutoRC25-25.jpg
Mercado-Hood2011ToppsUSAGoldAutoRC20-25.jpg

I thought they look sharp as well though I am wondering whether they'll be as popular as the Topps Chrome in the long run.

hive17 said:

This year's draft won't be near what the last few have been. Not that there isn't money to be made and not that there aren't talented players, but this year is going to be hard to figure out who, if anyone, is going to provide profit; let alone what release will be most desired.

It is what it is obviously, and obviously last year's draft was loaded, but it should be fun to explore a bit.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
hive17 said:

It is what it is obviously, and obviously last year's draft was loaded, but it should be fun to explore a bit.

Actually, now that I think on it, this year's "less-than-obvious" draft class might make your learning experience that much stronger. If you can have success with this class, you'll be that much more astute when there are major studs in a draft.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
The best way to go after the 2012 draft players, especially USA card-wise.....

Seek out the earliest and best cards of the players from past USA sets.

A few of the higher profile names are from 2008-2010.

McCullers
Almora
Hinojosa
Hurst
Maddox
Johnson
O'Brien
Hawkins
Gausman
Fontana

Plenty of patches and nice cards to choose from.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:

McCullers
Almora
Hinojosa
Hurst
Maddox
Johnson
O'Brien
Hawkins
Gausman
Fontana

Yah, when searching I was shocked at how early some of these guys had cards (though of course that's what happens when you make cards of guys before they are drafted lol.) I know you have a sick collection in that department.

MichaelStanton2010

Feb 14, 2010
This years draft may be missing the bryce harper type prospect out of the gate.. .but there is an outstanding talent pool in the high school ranks. A lot of highly projectable hs hitters as well as pitchers. Guys like harper, machado, taillon already come out priced very high, so not as much opportunity to make money...as some of the more under the radar guys that are in this years draft crop. I may be in the minority, but I am stoles about the upcoming draft :)

hive17 said:

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Topnotchsy said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

McCullers
Almora
Hinojosa
Hurst
Maddox
Johnson
O'Brien
Hawkins
Gausman
Fontana

Yah, when searching I was shocked at how early some of these guys had cards (though of course that's what happens when you make cards of guys before they are drafted lol.) I know you have a sick collection in that department.

HAD a sick collection. 99% of them are now gone. Had to sell my stuff.

The only players I have left are: (from 2012 draft class)

Nelson Rodriguez
Hayden Hurst
CJ Hinojosa
Albert Almora
Courtney Hawkins
Lance McCullers

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:
HAD a sick collection. 99% of them are now gone. Had to sell my stuff.

The only players I have left are: (from 2012 draft class)

Nelson Rodriguez
Hayden Hurst
CJ Hinojosa
Albert Almora
Courtney Hawkins
Lance McCullers

I'm sure you did quite well...

Members online

Latest posts