Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How would you rank these 5 prospect pitchers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
...Overall rank, taking everything into account:

Dylan Bundy
Gerrit Cole
Trevor Bauer
Danny Hultzen
Archie Bradley

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
Dylan Bundy-Huge upside
Trevor Bauer-Potential CY, Potential Tommy John
Archie Bradley-Also has great stuff
Gerrit Cole-The most forgotten
Danny Hultzen-Pitching in Seattle (If I were to pick a Mariners pitcher I would pick Walker over Danny, I would put him after Bundy)

wolters03

Feb 14, 2011
St. Paul, MN
SydBarrett said:
Dylan Bundy-Huge upside
Danny Hultzen-Pitching in Seattle (If I were to pick a Mariners pitcher I would pick Walker over Danny, I would put him after Bundy)

How can you say potential tommy john? Have you actually ever paid attention to how he pitches? He is the furthest from it. His entire motion puts the least amount of strain on his arm, along with every offspead pitch having no torque on his elbow. He studies how everything works on a scientific standpoint. If anything he studies his craft more than anyone in the league probably causing him to be the least likely to have tommy john.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
wolters03 said:
SydBarrett said:
Dylan Bundy-Huge upside

How can you say potential tommy john? Have you actually ever paid attention to how he pitches? He is the furthest from it. His entire motion puts the least amount of strain on his arm, along with every offspead pitch having no torque on his elbow. He studies how everything works on a scientific standpoint. If anything he studies his craft more than anyone in the league probably causing him to be the least likely to have tommy john.

I am a fan of him, don't get me wrong, that's why I put him his number two. But given his age, how hard he throws and the motion, I really am skeptical as to how long he will be able to throw like that. I wish him all the best of the luck.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
I love how hultzen is near or at the bottom of everyone's list so far. When he probably has the lowest floor and might be the safest bet of the group to be a solid big league pitcher. Also he should be the first to the big leagues. Bauer could beat him, but just kind of surprised to see hultzen so low. I really like him. I know some people discount Arizona fall league stats, but for him to come right out of college and dominat the fall league was impressive. Saw him pitch in person and was very impressed.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
Zymco said:
I love how hultzen is near or at the bottom of everyone's list so far. When he probably has the lowest floor and might be the safest bet of the group to be a solid big league pitcher. Also he should be the first to the big leagues. Bauer could beat him, but just kind of surprised to see hultzen so low. I really like him. I know some people discount Arizona fall league stats, but for him to come right out of college and dominat the fall league was impressive. Saw him pitch in person and was very impressed.

I am a big fan of his, more specifically, a big Mariners fan, that said, you really have to take into consideration the team he plays for.

Wes

OG
Administrator
SydBarrett said:
wolters03 said:
SydBarrett said:
Dylan Bundy-Huge upside

I am a fan of him, don't get me wrong, that's why I put him his number two. But given his age, how hard he throws and the motion, I really am skeptical as to how long he will be able to throw like that. I wish him all the best of the luck.

Injury guessing based on velocity is irresponsible and cheap. Everybody's different.

It would be much harder on my arm to throw 87 than it would be for Bauer to throw 97, for example.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
Wes said:
SydBarrett said:
wolters03 said:
SydBarrett said:
Dylan Bundy-Huge upside

Injury guessing based on velocity is irresponsible and cheap. Everybody's different.

It would be much harder on my arm to throw 87 than it would be for Bauer to throw 97, for example.

Look at Lincecum, his arm is good as ever.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Zymco said:

I was thinking the same thing.

I compare Hultzen (at best) to Kershaw.

Then again, these are basically the top 5 prospect pitchers in MILB right now, so putting him even at #5 is still pretty damn good.

I happen to think he'll be the first to crack the majors too

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Zymco said:

Totally agree he is the safest bet but that group of pitchers (barring injury) should all be top of the rotation guys for a long time. I think Hutlzen's gonna be awesome, especially in Safeco where it strongly favors left-handed pitchers. Could easily swap him with Bradley, but I based the list mostly on ceiling.

This group is an extremely talented bunch, you could pretty much jumble up that list any way you want and make an argument for legitimacy.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
HPC said:
Zymco said:

I was thinking the same thing.

I compare Hultzen (at best) to Kershaw.

Then again, these are basically the top 5 prospect pitchers in MILB right now, so putting him even at #5 is still pretty damn good.

I happen to think he'll be the first to crack the majors too

Clayton likely has the nastiest stuff in baseball for a lefty. Hultzen's never gonna have that. I think a better "mega happy ending" for him is Cliff Lee.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
HPC said:

Jameson Taillon, Shelby Miller, Taijuan Walker, Jacob Turner, and Tyler Skaggs all might have something to say about that!

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Keyser Soze said:
HPC said:

Jameson Taillon, Shelby Miller, Taijuan Walker, Jacob Turner, and Tyler Skaggs all might have something to say about that!

Agreed 100%. I would take multiple guys on the 2nd list over the 1st one.

My order

Dylan Bundy
Tyler Skaggs
Jameson Taillon
Shelby Miller
Archie Bradley
Trevor Bauer
Gerrit Cole
Danny Hultzen
Taijuan Walker
Jacob Turner

Wes

OG
Administrator
ballerskrip said:
Keyser Soze said:
HPC said:

My order

Dylan Bundy
Tyler Skaggs
Jameson Taillon
Shelby Miller
Archie Bradley
Trevor Bauer
Gerrit Cole
Danny Hultzen
Taijuan Walker
Jacob Turner

I'd bet you a lot of money that Skaggs doesn't have the second best career out of the pitchers on that list.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Wes said:
ballerskrip said:
Keyser Soze said:
HPC said:

My order

Dylan Bundy
Tyler Skaggs
Jameson Taillon
Shelby Miller
Archie Bradley
Trevor Bauer
Gerrit Cole
Danny Hultzen
Taijuan Walker
Jacob Turner

I'd bet you a lot of money that Skaggs doesn't have the second best career out of the pitchers on that list.

He very well might not. BUT, I am willing to bet that multiple players on this list will completely burn out. I believe 100% that Skaggs will be at least a #3 starter, with a great shot at being a #2 on a competing team, and the opportunity to be a #1.

I think pure stuff can be overrated. My best example for a left handed started is Cliff Lee. I can make arguments that Lee has mediocre "stuff" compared to a Gerrit Cole, but that certainly doesn't make Cole the better pitcher.

I have a really tough time taking guys who were just drafted over a player who has been superb for mutiple years, and has been rated the #1 prospect in multiple leagues.

With all that being said, it will be really fun to see the D-backs rotation in a couple of seasons with Bauer, Bradley, and Skaggs in it.

skrip

Members online