Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wouldn't an autograph deadline eliminate most redemptions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Why do Topps and other companies allow players to take their sweet time returning autographed cards and stickers?
So many redemptions take forever to be redeemed because players can't bother to spend a few hours signing, even though they're getting paid to do it.

Why don't companies tell agents that their players won't be paid if he doesn't return the signatures by a certain deadline?
It seems like common sense to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I think agents are the ones ultimately negotiating the autograph deals and the players are oblivious to the whole process until they have to literally sit down to sign autographs on stickers and/or cards.

Agents probably dictate when an athlete will be available, even if the player has already signed a contract and/or paid - fulfilling an autograph contract with a card company maybe a priority, but not the biggest one over the course of a season / year.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I'm sure even if the players have a say, the contracts with topps are nothing compared to what they make with their respective teams. Someone making a couple million may not feel an autograph contract is worth their time for what, 10k

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Think about it.

Does "Player X" REALLY care about the few grand that Topps will give them to sign autos?

Topps at last years National Q&A told a story of how some players didnt want to be bothered

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ThoseBackPages said:
Think about it.
Does "Player X" REALLY care about the few grand that Topps will give them to sign autos?
Yeah, you're right.
I just think if Topps included a clause that said a player wouldn't get paid if he didn't sign the cards or stickers by the deadline, the agents might push the players harder, since the agent would lose a cut of the money.

It makes the companies like Topps look bad (THANKS TOPPS!!!!) when it's usually the players' fault for not signing on time.

Latest posts