Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question about Ryan Zimmerman RCs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD
Don't collect much modern baseball, but now that my Nats resigned Zimmerman for the long term, I want to get a basic auto RC for my PC.
Using beckett's website and narrowing a few things (like taking out ugly cards) down via ebay, these are his auto RCs that seem to interest me. Not interested in any of the bowman colors or parallels.

2005 Bowman Chrome Draft #178 Ryan Zimmerman AU B RC
2005 SP Authentic #181 Ryan Zimmerman AU RC SER 185
2005 SPx #173 Ryan Zimmerman AU RC SER 185
2005 Ultimate Signature #190 Ryan Zimmerman AU RC SER 125
2006 Bowman #221 Ryan Zimmerman AU RC AU
2006 SP Authentic #297 Ryan Zimmerman AU/199 RC SER 199
2006 Sweet Spot #139 R.Zimmerman AU/275 SER 275
2006 Ultimate Collection #155 Ryan Zimmerman AU/180 (RC)AU SER 180

I expect the recommendation here would be to get one of the 2 bowman or SP authentics, but I honestly don't understand the difference/significance of the 'first year' bowman chrome draft 2005 and 'RookieCard' bowman 2006.

My main hope to get the card that would be considered his iconic RC much like the UD is for Ken Griffey Jr. Any help would appreciated.
Thanks
Jeffrey

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
alifaxwa2 said:
Don't collect much modern baseball, but now that my Nats resigned Zimmerman for the long term, I want to get a basic auto RC for my PC.
Using beckett's website and narrowing a few things (like taking out ugly cards) down via ebay, these are his auto RCs that seem to interest me. Not interested in any of the bowman colors or parallels.

2005 Bowman Chrome Draft #178 Ryan Zimmerman AU B RC
2005 SP Authentic #181 Ryan Zimmerman AU RC SER 185
2005 SPx #173 Ryan Zimmerman AU RC SER 185
2005 Ultimate Signature #190 Ryan Zimmerman AU RC SER 125
2006 Bowman #221 Ryan Zimmerman AU RC AU
2006 SP Authentic #297 Ryan Zimmerman AU/199 RC SER 199
2006 Sweet Spot #139 R.Zimmerman AU/275 SER 275
2006 Ultimate Collection #155 Ryan Zimmerman AU/180 (RC)AU SER 180

I expect the recommendation here would be to get one of the 2 bowman or SP authentics, but I honestly don't understand the difference/significance of the 'first year' bowman chrome draft 2005 and 'RookieCard' bowman 2006.

My main hope to get the card that would be considered his iconic RC much like the UD is for Ken Griffey Jr. Any help would appreciated.
Thanks
Jeffrey

The MLB RC logo became part of the hobby in 2006. Before that, regular issue cards which were the first appearance of a player were considered the player's Rookie Card. Starting in 2006, MLB said that only players who had appeared in a MLB game would have an official Rookie Card, and developed a "RC" logo that began appearing on cards. For Zimmy, his 2005 Bowman Chrome was his RC under the old rules. His 2006 cards would have the RC logo. Most collectors in the hobby consider his 2005 cards to be his RCs.

To answer your question about what card to get, it is quite simply the 2005 Bowman Chrome Draft Autograph. His other 2005 autographed RCs were all issued in a single product (SPx, SP Authentic, Ultimate Signature) in a late release, and none of them were embraced like his BCDP.

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD
Follow up question...so for more recent stuff (such as Jordan Zimmermann) in which lots of 2007-2008 minor league/prospects cards are made before his first game, his RC is a 2009 card. I know prospectors are likely to focus on the 2007 donruss EEE or 2008 bowman chromes. But from a PC (yours, mine, anyones) what do you think is preferred. I lean toward the 2009 RC, but as leatherman mentioned, since its a later product, is it not as accepted?

I wonder if I am merging 2 schools of thought (collector vs prospector) that shouldnt be merged.

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
As far as Ryan Zimmerman, the 2005 BC auto is absolutely the RC for him. I generally prefer the first Bowman Chrome card for a player as far as RC's go. I don't usually go for the MiLB stuff a far as pospecting but for PC anything you like is fair game in my opinion. Another question that is related to this topic is which card is the true RC when a player has a chrome issued first then and auto'd chrome comes out in a later product such as draft?

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
alifaxwa2 said:
Follow up question...so for more recent stuff (such as Jordan Zimmermann) in which lots of 2007-2008 minor league/prospects cards are made before his first game, his RC is a 2009 card. I know prospectors are likely to focus on the 2007 donruss EEE or 2008 bowman chromes. But from a PC (yours, mine, anyones) what do you think is preferred. I lean toward the 2009 RC, but as leatherman mentioned, since its a later product, is it not as accepted?

I wonder if I am merging 2 schools of thought (collector vs prospector) that shouldnt be merged.
I would go with a 2008 Chrome autograph.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
alifaxwa2 said:

Unfortunately with the plethora of choices there will never be a truly iconic card. With that said however, its best to collect the card(s) you enjoy most here.

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD
uniquebaseballcards said:
alifaxwa2 said:

Unfortunately with the plethora of choices there will never be a truly iconic card. With that said however, its best to collect the card(s) you enjoy most here.
Ya, but that doesn't mean there on the same level. And on my limited collecting abilities, what I enjoy most is having the right card for the players I want to add to the PC. Unless its butt ugly, then I get no enjoyment out of it.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
alifaxwa2 said:
uniquebaseballcards said:
alifaxwa2 said:

Ya, but that doesn't mean there on the same level. And on my limited collecting abilities, what I enjoy most is having the right card for the players I want to add to the PC. Unless its butt ugly, then I get no enjoyment out of it.

You enjoy butt ugly cards? Sorry I couldn't resist, although I know what you meant :oops:

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Most people here operate on the "first card from a major issue is the player's rookie card" regardless of what MLB says.

For example, Bryce Harper won't have a MLB "Rookie Card" until he appears in a MLB game, but most collectors will still say that his 2010 BC USA card is his rookie card.

Ryan Zimmerman is one of those guys where it is cut and dry: his 2005 BCDP autograph is his best rookie card, and you will be hard pressed to find anyone that says otherwise.

Members online