Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1997 topps screen plays question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmagic87

Sep 27, 2008
Mass
Hey guys i know ive seen someone talk about these before but i can not find much about them online so i was wondering i anyone could help me out picked up 10 of these all 10 have player tin, card,paper disc insert, and foam

i have
tony gwynn (card still has topps protective coating on it)
randy johnson (has sammy sosa paper inset not johnson)
frank thomas
cal ripken jr
juan gonzalez
hideo nomo
pail molitor
jeff bagwell
chipper jones
andruw jones

jmagic87

Sep 27, 2008
Mass
sorry must of typed over what i had listed

what i am trying to find out is

how rare they are

if there are any SPs in the set

how many are in the set

are these something a lot of player collectors are looking for

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
I don't believe there are any SP's in the set although I may be wrong.

I don't think there is a huge interest in the set from a collecting standpoint due to the bulkiness of the tins. There is an upside to having the tins with the cards unpeeled but I would guess maybe a 50% increase in price at best.

Overall, cool set, not so valuable.

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
I thought there were sp's in this set.
Here's what Beckett says about the screenplays set......

The 1997 Topps Screenplays set was issued in one series totalling 20 cards and distributed in one-card packs with a suggested retail price of 9.99. Each card displays 24 frames of actual game footage with the help of Kodak's revolutionary Kodamotion technology. The cards have a dura clear back. Each card is individually packaged in a fold metal finish collectible tin that resembles a movie reel canister and features a full-color image of the player inside.The tin contains a display stand for it and the card and includes player info, bio, and stats. The cards are unnumbered and checklisted below in alphabetical order.

Also listed are 1997 Topps Screenplays Premium Series.
Here's what Beckett says about these.....

This six-card limited production set features six top stars from the regular base set in additional action shots. The cards were seeded at a rate of 1:21 packs. The cards are unnumbered and checklisted below in alphabetical order.

I'm not sure how to tell one from another, other than the card numbers are different. I thought some were tougher to find than others.
There's also something listed called "1997 Topps Screenplays Private Screenings" that only has 3 cards listed, Frank Thomas, Jim Thome and Bernie Williams, but Beckett doesn't say what exactly these are.
Hope this helps.
David

jmagic87

Sep 27, 2008
Mass
thank you maybe i will have to lay them out and take some pics in the morning to see if that can gather any more info figured with all the player collectors here someone might have some in depth info about this set lol

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
If you happen to look them up on Beckett be aware that screenplays is one word on their site, not 2.
I have a half dozen or so of these myself so if you post pics I'll compare them to mine.
Hopefully we have some of the same players, but different cards.
David

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
jmagic87 said:
sorry must of typed over what i had listed

what i am trying to find out is

how rare they are

if there are any SPs in the set

how many are in the set

are these something a lot of player collectors are looking for

From what I know is they are fairly common.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
They are basically worthless, even the big stars sell $1 to $3 and that's lucky. Maybe the rare time one goes above that. Very common. Not all that attractive. Bulky. Hard to sell.

There were 2 different types to get: 20 Regular cards (Thomas, Ripken, Griffey, Belle, Jeter, Sosa, and more) and a 6 card Premium Set (had another Griffey, Thomas and 4 others)

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Screen Plays are awesome. A box has 21 tins, and my experience was I got the entire base set of 20 tins containing 3-d motion cards and 1 of the 6 shortprinted screen-plays. The SPs have a gold background on the players name on the 3-D card and a different picture on the tin. I posted a box break on FCB with mini videos that can be found here:

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=128959&hilit=screen+plays

jmagic87

Sep 27, 2008
Mass
thanks guys i did see one cal tin on ebay go for like 20 so i guess ill have to do so more digging depending on offers i would be willing to move these to player collectors

also would love to get my hands on a nomar from this set for my PC

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Only have one card, a piazza w his name in a gold colored box.
So, is this a sp? Any idea bv?

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
BBCgalaxee said:
Only have one card, a piazza w his name in a gold colored box.
So, is this a sp? Any idea bv?

Yes, it's an SP. There are little streaks of color around the border on the SPs too that helps to identify them. I'd guess it would go for $5 - $10, but you probably should do an eBay search to verify.

Here is the checklist...

Scan10227.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts