Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Say good night Upper Deck!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Major League Baseball Properties has filed a lawsuit against Upper Deck, claiming it hasn't received all of the money it was due under terms of a settlement reached between the two in 2010.

The suit comes almost exactly two years after Upper Deck agreed to pay $3.06 million to MLB on a payment plan over what baseball officials said was a $2.4 million debt from the last year of its MLB partnership in 2009. Upper Deck had also ruffled MLB feathers by releasing its first post-license set that wasn't completely devoid of team logos and trademarks. Under its newly exclusive agreement with Topps, that was prohibited. MLB sued in January of 2010 and settled with the California card maker just a few weeks later.

Most of the money has been paid, but MLB says Upper Deck fell behind in its installments in October of 2010 and never caught up. MLB is asking for what it's owed plus interest on the unpaid debt.

Upper Deck was to pay its debt in $300,000 increments from April through December of 2010, plus a $215,000 balloon payment by December 23, 2010. However, starting in October of that year, MLB says it received only $450,000 over the course of the next seven months, all in smaller than required payments. Lawyers for the organization say they haven't received anything from Upper Deck since May of 2011. MLB claims it is still owed $265,824.92 plus interest.

agentjak

Feb 18, 2010
Colorado
ChasHawk said:
This makes MLB look petty in my eyes.

.....................To not get what is rightfully owed to you and for you to say its petty?? Dude please explain this to me?? I am extremely curious to hear your reasoning!

**and before anyone says anything..I personally dont have a opinon as to whether Topps or Upper Deck sucks more then the other..They pretty much blow chunks IMO..Some good..some bad.**

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
agentjak said:
ChasHawk said:
.....................To not get what is rightfully owed to you and for you to say its petty?? Dude please explain this to me?? I am extremely curious to hear your reasoning!
To take away a huge portion of someone's income, and then bitch when they fall behind in paying you?

jubei777

Aug 7, 2008
Hmm...if UD is forced to pay, they may not have enough funds to get certain products out. That or they may go all or nothing on a few exquisite releases on the hopes they can raise enough funds. I'd be deathly afraid of holding any redemptions from them at this time!

ChasHawk said:
WaxPax said:
ChasHawk said:
"....MLB sued in January of 2010 and settled with the California card maker just a few weeks later."

Sounds like MLB was doing them a favor by settling, hardly being petty
the whole case was BS from the beginning.

Isnt all these law suits over cardboard BS? ;)

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
ChasHawk said:
WaxPax said:
ChasHawk said:
"....MLB sued in January of 2010 and settled with the California card maker just a few weeks later."

Yep. But it certainly lets us know that it's a business, not a hobby.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Not to ruffle feathers but the exclusive agreement was a bs move on mlb's part to begin with. theyre a multi billion dollar ordeal. cmon. sure theres the principle if the thing but somewhere along the line someone at topps wrote a fat check to start this crap.. just so we can buy more of there poorly designed overproduced crap

WaxPax

ChasHawk said:
ChasHawk said:
WaxPax said:
ChasHawk said:

So MLB & Topps should just let any card company do whatever they like without regard to any licensing agreement. Yes, that makes great "Business" sense for all parties...

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
WaxPax said:
ChasHawk said:
ChasHawk said:
WaxPax said:
[quote="ChasHawk":320yxy6r]This makes MLB look petty in my eyes.

So MLB & Topps should just let any card company do whatever they like without regard to any licensing agreement. Yes, that makes great "Business" sense for all parties...[/quote:320yxy6r]

According to Brian Gray, that's what's going to happen. He'll bet you $200k it will.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Come on Charlie, this entire situation is Upper Deck's fault.

Shady history, shady practices throughout. If anything, blame Upper Deck's management for letting everything spin out of control. As for believing that Upper Deck can easily cut a check for $200K and still make their necessary payments to stay in business, it doesn't surprise me at all.

MLB has been extremely "easy" throughout this entire process and if Upper Deck hasn't made a payment in 10 months, perhaps they're getting tired of chasing them down. Topps has no reason to care in any of this as Upper Deck really isn't that much of a competitor of theirs anymore.

Let's look at Upper Deck over the past 5 years...lost the MLB, NBA and NFL licenses. They gained the NCAA license exclusive, yawn.

Upper Deck is a sham. Started as a sham, and will end in the tank. And who knows what tomorrow brings. It's plausible that this is a the first of multiple suits against Upper Deck to reclaim owed funds and MLB is just acting first.

WaxPax

Bob Loblaw said:
WaxPax said:
ChasHawk said:
[quote="AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR":1r17u3rc]
ChasHawk said:
WaxPax said:
[quote="ChasHawk":1r17u3rc]This makes MLB look petty in my eyes.

So MLB & Topps should just let any card company do whatever they like without regard to any licensing agreement. Yes, that makes great "Business" sense for all parties...[/quote:1r17u3rc]

According to Brian Gray, that's what's going to happen. He'll bet you $200k it will.[/quote:1r17u3rc]

I just knew a Leaf/BG reference would come up....I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.... :lol:

WaxPax said:
Bob Loblaw said:
WaxPax said:
ChasHawk said:
[quote="AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR":27fmr4y7]
ChasHawk said:
[quote="WaxPax":27fmr4y7][quote="ChasHawk":27fmr4y7]This makes MLB look petty in my eyes.

So MLB & Topps should just let any card company do whatever they like without regard to any licensing agreement. Yes, that makes great "Business" sense for all parties...[/quote:27fmr4y7]

According to Brian Gray, that's what's going to happen. He'll bet you $200k it will.[/quote:27fmr4y7]

I just knew a Leaf/BG reference would come up....I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.... :lol:[/quote:27fmr4y7]

There is a new development in the Leaf/Panini saga but I refused to post the article because of the haters.
At least this thread stayed on topic.....so far! ;)

Members online

Latest posts