Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

All-Star FanFest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DukeandKSUFanatic

Aug 8, 2008
The Royals Fanfest tickets are now officially on sale. More than likely going to go. What can I expect from this? And is it really worth the $30 to go? Any info would be appreciated!!

showoff

Aug 8, 2009
DukeandKSUFanatic said:
kdailey4315 said:
I went to the one here in 07 and it was awesome. I really enjoyed it. I would definitely go.
What all is there to do at them?
Everything imagineable under the sun.

I went to the one in Milwaukee, I think I was 11 at the time.
I was so overwhelmed but I remeber playing against adults for packs of cards and stuff. All themajor companies were there giving full card sheets out and stuff. It should be fine, ask people from ones with in the last 5 years and they should be pretty much the same.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
For 30 bones I would buy 4 sell 3 of them make profit and go for free.
If I recall correctly the ones for STL were outrageous.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
craiger122003 said:
For 30 bones I would buy 4 sell 3 of them make profit and go for free.

Having been to at least 10 of these, I don't know how that would work. Never seen one sell out, including in St Louis where over 150,000 people attended.
Not sure where the money making potential is.

If you're trying to go for cheap, you may have better luck NOT buying a ticket and buying off craigslist or out front of the venue.

But it's worth the $30 at least once. Lots of baseball history and memorabilia, the live Hunt auction always has a lot of really cool things you can get a close look at (including vintage cards, and lots of autographed and game used stuff). I've participated in a few of the auctions too, which is fun. Saw John Turturro perusing the Thurman Munson items at the Fanfest in NYC.
Autograph lines are ridiculously long, and you don't really know who you're going to get, but they're free. There are always dealer tables somewhere, sometimes a little harder to locate. I've found on occasion some decent stuff at (surprisingly) reasonable prices. Got this pair of cards maybe 4 years ago for a good price at a dealer table:

APOHsigTrim.jpg

Anyways, if you've never gone, it's worth checking out, imo. Fair warning, many casual (and some serious) baseball fans I've gone with would never go again. Which is fair, because it's essentially the same thing every year.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
DukeandKSUFanatic said:
Was there a lot of free stuff given away when you went?

Not much of anything with value that I've ever found (pens and squishy balls and the like). The Topps booth does giveaways and wrapper redemptions, but it's always a little crazy around there when they're doing that, so I don't spend much time checking it out.

Like I said, if you want to wait in line for a few hours (3+) to get an autograph, that would be free.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
I went last year.
I repeat the autograph lines are crazy but I can't complain as they are free. Some good names like Tony Gwynn, Orlando Cepeda, Luis Aparicio, Fergie Jenkins, Fingers, Gaylord Perry, Earl Weaver + the home team ex-players.

Also a very important thing is to keep watch for un-announced guests at the MLB.com booth or XM radio. Last year people attending were: Bud Selig, Jose Reyes, Jair Jurjens, Brandon Phillips, Bryce Harper and other Futures Games players, Cal Ripken, etc.

For me that I don't have the opportunity to go to card shows or signings, it was a blast!

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
r2d2 said:
Also a very important thing is to keep watch for un-announced guests at the MLB.com booth or XM radio. Last year people attending were: Bud Selig, Jose Reyes, Jair Jurjens, Brandon Phillips, Bryce Harper and other Futures Games players, Cal Ripken, etc.

The above is a good tip, because most of the areas the players make appearances are in the middle of a huge convention hall. So they have to walk through public areas to get to and from them. I know people have had luck getting Ripken and other players while walking. In addition to the radio interviews, players also do some demonstrations and occasionally clinics (like how to field a ground ball).

Selig does an interview at the mlb.com booth every year and typically takes questions from the audience (I think they're pre-screened if you would be trying to ask him something provocative).

Here's a list of what they had going on last year in Arizona:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/ ... ctions.jsp

Members online