Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do I have here? Exhibits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
e4.jpg

e3.jpg

e2.jpg

e1.jpg

Picked up a few exhibits recently. I've done some digging and I think I've got the sets right, but wanted to make sure. The Hornsby is a 1928. The Williams is a 1939-46 Salutation Exhibit. The rest are 1947-66s. Does that sound right to the experts? I'm pretty happy with these additions. Everything but the Hornsby came in a single lot and are in great shape.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Yes the Hornsby is a 1928 (blue tint), 100% authentic, and its about a $35-$45 card in that shape

now the bad news.....

the others are prob not authentic

the back will clue you in on the other cards, there is a good chance they are the reprints and have no value at all

the authentic cards are cream colored on back (see image below), the fakes are either white or gray backed.

I say I believe they are fakes because they have unusual cuts showing edges with lines and white showing (not found on authentic cards), and images were cropped (actually the projection is off, so looked cropped, ie Hodges hat missing top), and also the card pictured span many years (1947-60s) yet are all the same NRMT++ looking condition, and same color tint.

If authentic... (highly doubtful)
the Williams Exhibit with the "Printed in USA" was made only in 1960 (B&W) and really should be B&W not Sepia... so Im sure its a fake.
info.... Williams being listed as a 1939-46 card is 100% false, it is collected as part of the so called 1939-46 "salutations" set, but the exhibit supply co. made a new set almost every year and recycled images for them... including using salutation style cards well past 1946 (Feller, DiMaggio, Williams, etc.)...

although these cards are all prob fakes....... the key in dating them is by the "MADE IN USA" (1939-50, width of the print will break it down to the exact year), "Made In USA" (1951, 52, 53, 1952 cards are only B&W, other 2 years are Sepia), PRINTED IN USA (1954-56 and all have the script font at bottom except Reese), Printed in USA (1957-est1966)

if interested here is my breakdown on how to date exhibits from 1939-60s
http://centuryoldcards.com/1930/1939-66ExhibitInfo.html

example of the back color of an authentic card
1947exhibithodges.jpg

1947 Hodges (rookie year)

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
fkw said:
Yes the Hornsby is a 1928 (blue tint), 100% authentic, and its about a $35-$45 card in that shape

now the bad news.....

the others are prob not authentic

the back will clue you in on the other cards, there is a good chance they are the reprints and have no value at all

the authentic cards are cream colored on back (see image below), the fakes are either white or gray backed.

I say I believe they are fakes because they have unusual cuts showing edges with lines and white showing (not found on authentic cards), and images were cropped (actually the projection is off, so looked cropped, ie Hodges hat missing top), and also the card pictured span many years (1947-60s) yet are all the same NRMT++ looking condition, and same color tint.

If authentic... (highly doubtful)
the Williams Exhibit with the "Printed in USA" was made only in 1960 (B&W) and really should be B&W not Sepia... so Im sure its a fake.
info.... Williams being listed as a 1939-46 card is 100% false, it is collected as part of the so called 1939-46 "salutations" set, but the exhibit supply co. made a new set almost every year and recycled images for them... including using salutation style cards well past 1946 (Feller, DiMaggio, Williams, etc.)...

although these cards are all prob fakes....... the key in dating them is by the "MADE IN USA" (1939-50, width of the print will break it down to the exact year), "Made In USA" (1951, 52, 53, 1952 cards are only B&W, other 2 years are Sepia), PRINTED IN USA (1954-56 and all have the script font at bottom except Reese), Printed in USA (1957-est1966)

if interested here is my breakdown on how to date exhibits from 1939-60s
http://centuryoldcards.com/1930/1939-66ExhibitInfo.html

example of the back color of an authentic card
1947exhibithodges.jpg

1947 Hodges (rookie year)

Thanks for the help. I was actually hoping you'd respond as I know you have quite a bit of knowledge on this stuff. Unfortunately it looks like everything, but the Hornsby are the gray backed reprints. I actually got them all pretty cheap in one lot, so I'm not too broken up about it. It was too good to be true :cry: . The Hornsby was a separate purchase that I got pretty reasonbly as well.

Members online

Latest posts