Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Have you ever taken a chance with the purchase........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
Of wax and actually have it pay off????

I have had major success and major failure.......

Failure:
I love 1998 Flair. Plain and simple. I have made several sets and made some good coin on the resale of what I have pulled. However, I only purchase boxes now to bust for the sole purpose of pulling a Masterpiece or a Perfect 10. Sadly I haven't pulled either. I cannot begin to tell you the amount of $$ I have spent on this possibility. I will keep trying until I do.

Success:
I bought a case of 2000 Fleer Mystique for the sole purpose of pulling a Hideo Nomo auto. This was his first certified auto and to boot, he was in a Tigers uni. Anyway, I bought a case for $325. About 6 boxes in, I pulled a Nomo. Shat my pants for sure and sold it for $650.

You?

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
Not sports, but I bought a single box of Star Trek The Animated Series in the hopes of pulling a William Shatner auto. Sure enough, pulled it! :mrgreen:

Not only that, but I pulled a super rare redemption for a giant cel litho of the Enterprise. Still have both items in my collection.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I bought more 1991 Topps than I ever wanted because I wanted to pull one of the buyback cards. Even if it was a 1978 Champ Summers, I would've placed great value on it. Never did get one, though. My luck, I'll get a box this summer and find a redemption card for a 1952 Mathews or something. I am curious if they'd do anything for me.

I used to think about buying some cases of 2001 UD Golf when they were real cheap, but never did. Pulling a Nicklaus or Tiger auto would've been sweet.

But yes, any wax purchase holds the hope of pulling something more valuable than the box it came out of. If you were only interested in the cards you'd let someone else pay for the thrill of the rip.

jkeys

Banned
May 5, 2010
Kansas City area
Bought a box of 1988 Donruss for $7 on sale at a drug store when I was a kid. Pulled two Mark Grace RC's and a Roberto Alomar RC. Was very :D at the time!

(Does that count???)

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
Perhaps my question was a little vague...
Yes, any wax is a gamble and if you pull something big then yes it was worth it.

My question was more along the lines of something specific, a particular card that you were hoping to pull and actually did.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Yes I did...

It's not baseball, but after the Threads Brett Favre base card hysteria happened, I wanted to buy some retail to pull one (since they were going for a buttload of money on ebay at the time). I managed to get one out of a blaster. I still have it.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
Football 2 nights ago. One pack of Crown Royale. I wanted the Cam Newton Rc Patch #/199. I hit the Blue parallel instead #/50. So I was close.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
I actually had really good luck with 2011 Topps chrome football. I purchased the last box of a case that had already yielded a Von Miller RPA /10 and it Cam Newton atomic refractor autograph and on the third to last pack I pulled the AJ Green RPA /10 variant. I also got a DeMarco Murray refractor autograph a week and a half after he got on fire. In 2004, I bought five packs of upper deck ice hockey hoping to pull a nice rookie /99, I didn't, but I did get a Marty Broduer autographed jersey SSP & traded to a big collector of his in return for card that I was sure I wouldn't be able to get (Kari Lehtonnen Parkie autographed jersey rookie /100).

Those are my only memorable pulls from 12 years of collecting.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
01 Ovation with Griffey in the Reds uniform.
93 SP Big Hurt Platinum Power die cut.
06 Chrome chasing FMart and pulled one.

Those come to mind.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
A few years ago I ordered some bargain boxes for Christmas. One was a Press Pass basketball box......Rose's rookie year. I'm a Bulls fan, so obviously that was the card I wanted to pull.....especially since most of his NBA auto's were already out of my price range.
Sure enough I pulled a Rose auto #'d 127.......Not a huge value card, but it's the card I wanted, and one of the only times I've had such Luck.

I tried the same thing this past Christmas - purchasing some SP Prospects looking for Pedroia's RC Auto.....Hoping for exactly what you were describing.....That one did not work out. Though I did hit some of the better auto's in the set, so it wasn't a complete loss.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
smapdi said:
I bought more 1991 Topps than I ever wanted because I wanted to pull one of the buyback cards. Even if it was a 1978 Champ Summers, I would've placed great value on it. Never did get one, though. My luck, I'll get a box this summer and find a redemption card for a 1952 Mathews or something. I am curious if they'd do anything for me.

I used to think about buying some cases of 2001 UD Golf when they were real cheap, but never did. Pulling a Nicklaus or Tiger auto would've been sweet.

But yes, any wax purchase holds the hope of pulling something more valuable than the box it came out of. If you were only interested in the cards you'd let someone else pay for the thrill of the rip.

Warning: I'm going to out myself as a 13-year-old pack searcher here (I'm 33 now...), and sorry for thread-jacking...

How rare were the 1991 Topps buybacks? I remember when that promotion came out I was 13, and the grocery store near my house used to have rack packs. I used to go through them to see if there was anyone good on the front, and when 1991 hit, I realized I'd be able to do the same thing for one of the buybacks. I must've gone through 50 rack packs there, thinking nothing of it, until I noticed an off-color card in one of the packs. Sure enough, it was one of the buybacks, a 1969 Topps (I think) Stan Bahnsen. I really won out!

Haven't pack-searched since, and am disgusted by those that do it at Walmart, etc., but at the time, when I was 13, I thought nothing of it.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
I suppose i have a couple.

Back in 2000 i bought a tonnnnnn of 2000 UD Rookie Update boxes. they were "loaded" for their time with 3-5 serial numbered rookies per box. (Seriously, 3-5 serial numbered rookies per box was considered loaded back then). Rookie AUTOS were 3 in every 4 boxes. so you werent even guaranteed one.

I went through about 12 boxes hoping for one particular card, and FINALLY hit the motherload. 2000 SPX RC Auto /1500 Barry Zito
he was the coverboy on the box and everyone wanted one. I was through the roof.

Then back in 2003 (i think) i saw 2 sets of 99 topps traded and realllllly wanted the soriano auto. Bought both boxes and hit the Soriano on the first set. It was amazing.

bravesfan22

Feb 22, 2011
Greentown/Kokomo, IN
2 months ago I called the only guy that sells boxes at the card show in the mall i work at 2 weeks prior to the show to see if he had a 2010 upper deck usa box, he said he did and he'd bring me one. I was hoping to pull anything bryce harper but especially a jersey auto. Opened the box and bam pulled a bryce harper triple jersey auto AND 2 gerrit cole autos AND a bryce brentz auto. felt great about the decision.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
My wife came to the Madison show this weekend where I was set-up at. She wanted me to buy a box of something b/c she felt bad that I was selling so much for our new baby. She had to leave before the thing ended, but my buddy had $60 2011 Bowman Chrome boxes sitting there. I've wanted to pull one of the redemptions and since the wife gave me exactly $60 in cash, I figured it was a sign.

Third pack in, Hosmer redemption.

My biggest gamble was the overly expensive, scrub-filled 2007 UD Exquisite Rookie Sigs case I bought. I knew that hitting a Lincecum would reduce the cost of the case by 20% and that there were good vet autos in there, like Ripken, Jeter and a few others. After pulling a Lincecum auto and a dual Braun/Zimmerman, I pulled a 1/1 dual auto of Jeter and Carlos Gomez. The only person who's auto I pulled doubles of? Lincecum, in the last box. That was the gamble that paid off.

Members online

Latest posts