Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Seahawks sign RB Marshawn Lynch to multi-year deal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
According to reports, the deal is for four years and $31 million, with $18 million guaranteed. Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that the total amount is $32 million and the guaranteed portion is $17 million, "with another million extremely likely which makes it all but guaranteed."

It will be interesting to see whether or not Seattle has the money to go after Mario Williams and/or Matt Flynn/Peyton Manning. I know I am biased, but I really think if Seattle can sign Mario Williams and draft a player like Poe we will have the best defense in the NFL! if we can get a quarterback like Flynn or Manning I will be driving to Vegas and putting $1000 on Seattle making it to the Super Bowl.

seahawks4ever

Apr 24, 2009
Washington State
Solid signing for the Seahawks. I was worried lynch was going to command more. With the guaranteed money looks like Seattle learned their lesson about running backs having a good season. No more than two years guaranteed.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
That is obviously a key signing for Seattle, and Mario Williams along with Peyton Manning would be sick, but Peyton isn't going to Seattle. Matt Flynn so far has been a one-game wonder so let's see if he'll be any good before we jump to conclusions after all the Seahawks passing strategy isn't what the Packers' either. And in terms of best defenses in the NFL, I don't think simply adding Mario Williams and signing a good draft pick will have the Seattle defense above the 49ers Broncos Jets Ravens, etc defenses.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
homerun28aa said:
That is obviously a key signing for Seattle, and Mario Williams along with Peyton Manning would be sick, but Peyton isn't going to Seattle. Matt Flynn so far has been a one-game wonder so let's see if he'll be any good before we jump to conclusions after all the Seahawks passing strategy isn't what the Packers' either. And in terms of best defenses in the NFL, I don't think simply adding Mario Williams and signing a good draft pick will have the Seattle defense above the 49ers Broncos Jets Ravens, etc defenses.

Did you watch the Seahawks play last year? They had arguably the most underrated defense in the NFL. Without a doubt, they have the best secondary in the NFL.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
SydBarrett said:
homerun28aa said:

Did you watch the Seahawks play last year? They had arguably the most underrated defense in the NFL. Without a doubt, they have the best secondary in the NFL.

They had a very good defense in 2011, and like I said Mario Williams would be a very big addition, to any team for that matter not just the Seahawks. But how did the Seattle defense outperform the 49ers or Broncos defense, or even Ravens or Steelers for that matter? Being a Jets fan, I believe their defense had an off year and they'll get back on track but I'll leave that out of the argument. And without a doubt best secondary??? So no doubt whatsoever??? That's just beyond biased, I'd agree with best YOUNG secondary. But best overall secondary without a doubt is just without a doubt biased.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
If I had to stare this guy down during contract negotiations, I'd pay him whatever he wanted.

Predators-movie-image-210.jpg

Good to see Beast Mode stay in Seattle. He's probably the best overall personnel move they've made this decade.

seahawks4ever

Apr 24, 2009
Washington State
I am a Seahawks fan...but I am not a homer.

What do the Ravens and 49ers defenses have that Seattle doesn't? Answer: A pass rush.

Chris Clemons has been the only productive person on the defensive line and his sucess was rather limited in 2011. The Seahawks have solid run stoppers, but lack the ability to get to the QB. Take Ngata, Suggs, and Lewis off the defense and replace them with semistars and that secondary would not look nearly as good. Same thing in San Francisco.

While the Seahawks have a very solid, young secondary, no they are not the best in the league. Give the Seahawks a linebacker who can blitz successfully and a defensive line with better technique and the difference would be astounding.

Could Mario Williams help? Absolutely. He is not the only piece needed though. The Seahawks also need an above average MLB to take over for Hawthorne, who would replace Leroy Hill at OLB. KJ Wright showed a lot of ability in his rookie year and will only get better, barring injury. Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas FLY around the field and Browner and Sherman both looked very good in 'rookie' campaigns (yes I know Browner wasn't a rookie but for NFL purposes he was).

The Seahawks defense is a young group on the rise. They made rookie mistakes throughout the year (Sherman with retarded penalties, Browner with too man PI calls, Chancellor with too many 'personal fouls') but what do you expect from a group of basically rookies?

#1 Secondary? No way.

Top 5 secondary? Possibly. Give the opposing QB some heat and we will see.

seahawks4ever

Apr 24, 2009
Washington State
UODucksbestcollector said:
so what's gonna happen to walter thurmond...

He will remain...I think. The Seahawks secondary has proven one thing over the last two years...they get hurt. Thurmond is a solid DB and has shown to be a special teams asset along with Roy Lewis. The guy I think may be on his way out is Marcus Trufant. He has had two injury-prone, sub-standard years now and with the youth movement, I'm struggling to find a place for him.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
All right, I might have jumped the gun a little bit saying they have the best secondary in the NFL, but I legitimately think that they have the best young young trio of defensive backs. As far as the best defense in the NFL, I really think if they get a pass rush, they will have one of the best defenses.

Members online