Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

IP autograph tips needed before I head to Spring Training!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TenaciousJDD

I am heading out to Arizona tomorrow night to catch a few games for the weekend. This will be my third year going and for the first time I would like to attempt to get some cards signed. I'll be spending my mornings at Camelback Ranch watching the Dodgers work out before the games and as I found out last year this is a great time and place to get signatures (last year unfortunately I went in unprepared and really had nothing to get signed until the last day).

I've utilized the search function and gone through some old threads regarding the proper type of pen and the proper way to prep the cards prior to having them signed and I just want to make sure I've got my facts straight. I will be bringing mostly recent base Topps, Heritage and Ginters. Am I correct in assuming that blue Sharpie or Lumocolor are best for these types of cards? Are these still a good choice if I decide to bring Chromes as well?

As far as prep goes it seems that the non-glossy Ginters and Heritage cards are good to go. I've seen people recommend prepping a card with an eraser. Are recent base Topps cards glossy enough to need this? Is this a good way to prep Chrome cards too?

I'm sorry for all of the "newb" questions, but I'd really like to come away with some nice stuff for my PC this year. Any other hints and tips are also appreciated. Thanks guys!

jwc9p

Aug 25, 2010
Columbia, sC
TenaciousJDD said:
I am heading out to Arizona tomorrow night to catch a few games for the weekend. This will be my third year going and for the first time I would like to attempt to get some cards signed. I'll be spending my mornings at Camelback Ranch watching the Dodgers work out before the games and as I found out last year this is a great time and place to get signatures (last year unfortunately I went in unprepared and really had nothing to get signed until the last day).

I've utilized the search function and gone through some old threads regarding the proper type of pen and the proper way to prep the cards prior to having them signed and I just want to make sure I've got my facts straight. I will be bringing mostly recent base Topps, Heritage and Ginters. Am I correct in assuming that blue Sharpie or Lumocolor are best for these types of cards? Are these still a good choice if I decide to bring Chromes as well?

As far as prep goes it seems that the non-glossy Ginters and Heritage cards are good to go. I've seen people recommend prepping a card with an eraser. Are recent base Topps cards glossy enough to need this? Is this a good way to prep Chrome cards too?

I'm sorry for all of the "newb" questions, but I'd really like to come away with some nice stuff for my PC this year. Any other hints and tips are also appreciated. Thanks guys!

I think a lot of people just like the way the blue pen looks on cards these days. For me, if a team has blue in their colors I like blue. For the Astros I liked black since the Astros use black in a lot of their jerseys.

As for prep, I use baby powder and I do that for all of my non-Ginter or Heritage cards just to make sure. I can't speak to if no prep on recent Topps will turn out ok just because I don't like to risk it. Never know when you're going to get that opportunity again. Definitely wipe down chrome cards. Those things are the worst with no prep. Streaking all over the place.

Good luck! Make sure to scan everything you get when you get back so we all can see!

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
As mentioned, a light application of baby powder to any glossy cards is always a good idea. Blue tends to 'pop' the most on cards, imo, but that's just personal preference. I'd also suggest getting some photo corners and some type of heavy duty pages. It gives the players a more stable surface to sign on and reduces the risk of fingerprints/smears, since the players won't have the handle the cards directly. Have a great time, and good luck!

jimfalbo21

May 22, 2011
Newark, OH
I just got back from the Pirates complex, I got approximately 85 autos. I use blue fine tip staedtler lumocolors for all chromes. Blue sharpies for most other cards. I don't powder and I didn't have any streaking on my cards. I smply wipe the cards on my shirt and that works for me.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
You might want to grab some "blanks" to take with you in case you see guys that you don't have cards of, or run out of cards of guys that sign a ton.

www.theautographcard.com makes the best ones in my opinion - they're very nice looking and don't need to be prepped for signing.

I also saw on their facebook page that a card store near the Dodgers camp carries them if you don't have time to order them online:

AZ Sports Cards

See our Spring Training Sale Flyer on the website at http://azsportscards.com/

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Don't be a jerk to the players

Don't be a jerk to the people around you

Prep all glossy cards with a light coating of TALC (not cornstarch) baby powder

As mentioned above, it helps to take blank cards to get people that you aren't prepared for. I have used the Autograph Card before and I love how they turn out.

Have fun and show us what you get.

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
Todd44 said:
You might want to grab some "blanks" to take with you in case you see guys that you don't have cards of, or run out of cards of guys that sign a ton.

http://www.theautographcard.com makes the best ones in my opinion - they're very nice looking and don't need to be prepped for signing.

I also saw on their facebook page that a card store near the Dodgers camp carries them if you don't have time to order them online:

AZ Sports Cards

See our Spring Training Sale Flyer on the website at http://azsportscards.com/

This shop is the place to go in Arizona and its very close to camelback ranch. They have all the pens,
Balls,bats,photos,helmets,bases,pitching rubbers,home plates that you could need. Not to mention cards
For spring training autographs. Their prices on baseballs,bats, and photos are the cheapest in town.
During spring training they ar very busy and open early

TenaciousJDD

Thanks for all of the great tips guys! I've never seen those autograph blanks before. I don't have time to order any, but if that shop on Camelback Rd has them I may pick up a few. I was really hoping A.J. Ellis would make it into Series 1 this year, but one of those blanks would look nice too.

My main goal this trip is to get Lasorda to sign his 1992 Topps. He blew my buddies and me off last year and then took a nap in his golf cart, haha.

If I get anything good I will definitely be posting pictures.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
TenaciousJDD said:
He blew my buddies and me off last year and then took a nap in his golf cart, haha.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CLASSIC Tommy! :D

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
Pretty much everything has been said.

I will say the 2012 Topps don't need to be preppred. I also find a scrub I have dups of and test them out and fortunately, they are good to go without any powder.

Have fun! I'm going out next week and can't wait.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
TenaciousJDD said:
Thanks for all of the great tips guys! I've never seen those autograph blanks before. I don't have time to order any, but if that shop on Camelback Rd has them I may pick up a few. I was really hoping A.J. Ellis would make it into Series 1 this year, but one of those blanks would look nice too.

My main goal this trip is to get Lasorda to sign his 1992 Topps. He blew my buddies and me off last year and then took a nap in his golf cart, haha.

If you don't have time for blanks, another good idea is to take an 8x10 with the team logo and get everyone else on it, or a magazine or program or something. I do that with mini helmets, programs, and ticket stubs if I don't have anything else on hand.

TenaciousJDD

craftysouthpaw said:
Pretty much everything has been said.

I will say the 2012 Topps don't need to be preppred. I also find a scrub I have dups of and test them out and fortunately, they are good to go without any powder.

Have fun! I'm going out next week and can't wait.

This is very good to know, and good advice about the testing on duplicates. Thanks!

TenaciousJDD

TBTwinsFan said:
TenaciousJDD said:

If you don't have time for blanks, another good idea is to take an 8x10 with the team logo and get everyone else on it, or a magazine or program or something. I do that with mini helmets, programs, and ticket stubs if I don't have anything else on hand.

Yeah, last year I noticed they had little scorecards they were selling in the team store for about $1. One of those would be perfect.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts