Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Maybe the reason why the Pirates always STINK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I was surprised to hear a quote from Andrew Mccutchen.

Disclaimer, I heard this 4 days ago, and meant to post it then, so it is not 100% word for word.

There was a discussion about rookies and prosepcts in camp on MLB Network.

Mccutchens quote

"you can always tell who the youngsters or high jersey #d players are, because they are busting their butts. The regulars are just going through the motions". The last part of the quote is word for word.

I found this kind of shocking to hear the cornerstone player of the franchise outwardly stating that himself and the veterans "go through the motions" in spring training. Isn't this when you are preparing for the season? The time that you are trying to actually have a freaking over .500 record for once?

As surprised as I am that he said it, I realize that sadly this is probably the case in many camps. Just didn't think I would hear him say it out loud. Especially after just signing a $50 million deal. Not what I would want to hear as the GM or the owner.

Thoughts?

skrip

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Honestly, I think this is the exact same for every team in ST. The established veterans are obviously not going to be busting it as hard as the non-roster invitees, because their spot is guaranteed. I really think this is the case with every team.

The Pirates have stunk because they aren't big spenders, and didn't draft well at all until a couple of years ago. When you don't spend, and don't draft well, you don't stand a chance.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Hallsgator said:
If you think 99% of established professionals in any sport actually try during ST, training camp, etc, you're kidding yourself.

I am not totally surprised that this is the case. More surprised that the face of franchise who just signed a long term deal, with a team that can't win, would come out and admit that they aren't working hard in spring training.

I never played pro ball obviously, but I did play in college. There wasn't a single day at practice where we weren't busting our hump to get better. I actually would compare Purdue baseball in some ways to the Pirates. Purdue hasn't won a Big ten Title in 50+ years. We didn't have the talent that some of the other schools did.

So, We killed ourselves to overachieve. The year we finished 2nd in the Big Ten, 1/2 a game out because we have 3 games rained out, we were predicted to finish 8th or 9th. Our coach new for a fact we had to outwork teams to beat them. And we did. I had many friends who played at other schools. When I would tell them about our conditiong sessions and practices, they literally laughed at the amount of work we were putting in compared to their schools. But that was our opportunity. We knew we had 4 years, and it would be over for most of that point, so we seized the opportunity in front of us. At least we sure as hell tried to.

You would think a team like the Pirates would be killing themselves to get better. To actually have a winning record for once.

Well, anyways. Just my opinion.

skrip

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Without context, I'll reserve judgment on the McCutchen quote. But it is worth noting that the team absolutely fell apart after the AS break last year, and by the end of the season you could tell any players who weren't fighting to impress the front office had largely check out by late August/September.

But problems with a lack of hustle and vets "going through the motions" has definitely been an issue in Pittsburgh. In the early 2000's, the clubhouse was downright cancerous, primarily because of Jason Kendall and Giles. Kendall would welcome new players to the team with a sign that read "Welcome to Hell." And a group of players at one point cornered Jack Wilson during his rookie season and chewed him out for playing too hard during the regular season after the team had fallen out of contention.

Two decades of losing have been a confluence of poor drafting, problems with player development, and mismanagement of talent through much of that streak, but having a toxic locker room atmosphere has definitely contributed to the overall perception of the franchise, making it hard to lure free agents recently, even when making competitive offers.

Members online

Latest posts