Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Let's keep things positive....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Kentucky Shark

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas
What was your first positive hobby experience? No regrets, no "Thanks Topps". ;)

Mine was busting pack after pack of 1988 Score at the grocery store where my mom used to work. And then reading the full paragraph of text on the back of each card before storing them away in the plastic bag I kept them in for easy transport to trade them with my friends.

Mr.1989

Dec 19, 2010
Pulling a red refractor

I was like :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

and then :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
Pulling a Daryl Strawberry from a pack of 1988 Donruss that was a party favor at a friend's birthday. Everyone was jealous and wanted me to trade it to them, but I wouldn't. This event got me hooked the first time until the middle of high school.

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
The earliest I remember was pulling a 1992 Topps Terry Pendleton Black Gold insert at a local show. I remember that the guy at the table was more excited then I was and offered to buy it from me but my dad advised me to hold it. Haha. I still have it which is cool.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
bunch of kids ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: How about late 1950's putting YANKEES cards in bike spokes :shock:
positive = i'm a Pirate fan

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Freshman in high school, finding another collector in my freshman level that over lunch recess breaks we would show our cards (best memory of that would be the 1987 Topps that were just released and in-stock at the Walgreens across the street from the high school), talk about cards and baseball, trade cards to help complete sets or whatever.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
I was more into basketball when I was younger because I lived around Chicago and MJ was essentially god. I did something good, report card or something, and got a trip to the card shop as a reward. 95-96 SPx had just come out with the INSANE price tag of $5 per pack for a single card. After convincing my mom that it was worth it, she bought me a pack and I ended up getting the Jordan. I can't recall if it was a really tough pull at the time or if it just seemed that way only buying one pack and was a stupid kid, but I was on cloud nine for days.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
tramers said:
bunch of kids ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: How about late 1950's putting YANKEES cards in bike spokes :shock:

Hmmm, that's strange, mine was putting Pirate's cards in my bike spokes.... :lol:

Willie Stargell made the best sounds while spinning through the spokes.

positive = I'm a Yankees fan :cool:

theotherCUTCH

May 28, 2011
Mine was waiting til my dad got home when i was 10 (back in 2002) he would stop at the local drug store after work and grab me a few packs of 2002 Topps, must of had thousands of base cards haha.

Almost made my dad sick when i showed him pics of the 55 topps clemente and koufax RCs, saying when he was 8 years old in 1955 he remembered having a few of them, back when they would buy the pack of cards for the gum and throw the cards away ::facepalm::

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
2001(ish) I bought a pack of something football and pulled one of these
front.jpg

Thought it was the coolest thing because I had only received base cards out of the packs I had purchased. I was hooked after that. The pretty colors still keep me coming back. :lol:

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I remember coming off the line at the plant and seeing these little cardboard picture cards with men on it being brought to us in crates. My manager called us all together and told us that starting the next day we would be taking these picture cards of professional baseball players and putting one in each tin of tobacco that we sealed. He also said something about one of the players not wanting to have his card put into the tins so if we saw one, to pull it out and throw it in the trash bin. My buddy that works the line next to me, who I must say hated our manager, thought it would be funny to slip a few of this guys card into production. So, before we left, we went through the huge crates of cards. We found about 500 of this guy's card and the next day, he spent his entire shift placing that one card in tins. I think his name was Wagoner or something.

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
Going rummaging with my aunt in 81 or 82 and finding some of the 1974 Hank Aaron Special cards. Each card depicted 4 of his Topps cards throughout his career.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Pulled a BJ Surhoff "Future Stars" out of the first pack I ever opened. He was a Brewer (and drafted ahead of Will Clark) so I was stoked

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
Like Barry (tramers), mine was in the late 60's and pulling Yankee's cards, trading them for Mets cards and using the leftover cards of "that OTHER New York team" in the spokes of my Schwinn bicycle. The only negative was my mom getting mad because I used her clothespins to hold the cards on the forks of my bicycle. ;)

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
tramers said:
How about in the early '60's pulling Bill Mazeroski cards :twisted:, hated him, and putting him in my bike spokes!! :lol: I kept all my Yankee cards.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
69MetsFan said:
Like Barry (tramers), mine was in the late 60's and pulling Yankee's cards, trading them for Mets cards and using the leftover cards of "that OTHER New York team" in the spokes of my Schwinn bicycle. The only negative was my mom getting mad because I used her clothespins to hold the cards on the forks of my bicycle. ;)
After October of '69, I put all my Mets cards in the burning barrell along with all the other trash to burn.

True story, I was really mad at that time after watching every Cub game on WGN that season.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
2 Things,

1. Driving from Wisconsin to Florida(Disneyland) with the rest of my family in 1990 in our van. Every so often my mom would hand us a pack of 1990 Donruss to open. Also, stopping in Downtown Atlanta to try and find some Dominique Wilkins shirts or posters for me, Wisconsin wasn't an ATL fans hotbed of merchandise.

2 being at one of my first card shows as a seller, and having 11 1990 Leaf Steve Avery Rc's that I paid $1 each for just because he was in every pack I had opened. Someone offered me $11 each. I have been on the dark side ever since.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
Probably my dad buying me 1992 or 1993 Topps (I cannot remember the year). He would randomly bring me packs home after work or buy them for me when we went to Toys R Us or K Mart.

He also bought me a book that had a picture and information of every Topps card from some year in the early 90's. I cannot remember which, I just know it had every card in there (600+), with little blurbs on the players. I used to create my own fantasy teams (well before I knew about fantasy baseball) and have them compete for my imaginary World Series.

I was a huge numbers and baseball nerd then and an even BIGGER one now, thanks to fantasy baseball (you could say that book started my statistical downfall for the future :p).

Members online