Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Looking for info on 1984 Nestle (Topps) cards...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore

Hullfan

Aug 9, 2008
St Louis
From the SCD "The set was offered as a premium in uncut 132 card sheet form (24" x 48"). A few enterprising individuals bought up the majority of the reported 4,000 set production and had the sheets cut into single cards. Due to the ease in handling individual cards, as opposed to large press sheets, sets of single cards sell more than sheet sets."

As far as the Mattingly it is in the SCD also. The picture in the SCD is identical to the auction and it basicall says the card has several variations, always in black and white with a blank back. Some versions of this unauthorized collectors issues carry notations of proof or test card status on front or back.

One thing I did notice was it is a head in the box card similar to the Topps test issues. The other black/white test issues like the Strawberry has no mention in the SCD and look to be head out of the box fakes.

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore
Hullfan said:
As far as the Mattingly it is in the SCD also. The picture in the SCD is identical to the auction and it basicall says the card has several variations, always in black and white with a blank back. Some versions of this unauthorized collectors issues carry notations of proof or test card status on front or back.

One thing I did notice was it is a head in the box card similar to the Topps test issues. The other black/white test issues like the Strawberry has no mention in the SCD and look to be head out of the box fakes.

So what about the color version of the Mattingly? Are they no good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-TOPPS-NEST ... 500wt_1182

Thanks for your help/info! Anyone with any more would be greatly appreciated!

Hullfan

Aug 9, 2008
St Louis
The black/white is the Test issue. The colored one is the real set version that was cut from the sheet. There are 792 cards in the set that mirrors the regular set other than the Nestle logo in the corner.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Hullfan said:
The black/white is the Test issue. The colored one is the real set version that was cut from the sheet. There are 792 cards in the set that mirrors the regular set other than the Nestle logo in the corner.

I was under the impression that all Nestle B&Ws are fakes. I've never heard of a legit copy, just the same old fakes of the same few players (Boggs, Mattingly, Strawberry).

Hullfan

Aug 9, 2008
St Louis
I'm no expert on the Black/Whites but was just going by what SCD had listed and it's explanation of it. The only one listed is the Mattingly. It's listed as Don Mattingly "Proof/Test"

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
nestle.jpg

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Interesting. I thought PSA wouldn't grade Nestle cards because they were sheet cuts. Have they changed their policy?

And as others have said, the B/W cards are fakes. The "3rd Variation" one posted above is a bit odd, since there weren't any variations produced, but I'd say it's a fake as well.

tunahead said:

dietdew

Apr 29, 2010
Hullfan said:
I'm no expert on the Black/Whites but was just going by what SCD had listed and it's explanation of it. The only one listed is the Mattingly. It's listed as Don Mattingly "Proof/Test"

The way I read that is that all the b&w are fake, but some are marked proof/test. It is probably just listed because of the huge amount of counterfeiting done on that particular card. There is a similar entry in the catalog for the 1984 Gallery of Champions Silver set because there are so many fakes out there.

Members online

Latest posts