Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2012 Goodwin Champions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Upper Deck dips into American history again this year with its 2012 Goodwin Champions set. The company has released information about the product, which will include a couple of unique elements. Upper Deck has commissioned artists to create the original 50 cards from the original 1888 Goodwin Champions set with each card being limited to just ten copies. The company has also bought up some original Civil War relics including uniform buttons, original soldier photos and Confederate money.

That 1888 Goodwin's set is still considered one of the most eye-pleasing sets from the pre-War era and contains two of the greatest baseball cards ever produced in Cap Anson and Mike "King" Kelly. Also included is the first football card ever produced (Harry Beecher of Yale) and big name boxers of the day including John L. Sullivan. The paintings will give modern era collectors a taste of the originals but they'll have to do some chasing to find them.

The company has also commissioned 200 paintings to capture the subjects of this year's set, which will include a checklist of 231 cards including 40 short prints and 20 'super short prints'.

2012-Goodwin-Champions-1888-Painted-Art-Cards-Cap-Anson-221x300.jpg

The Civil War relics are an interesting, if slightly spooky lot. In addition to the items mentioned above, Upper Deck will box up remnants of an 1864 Union Army battle flag, pieces of guns and even a soldier's leather wallet.

2012-Goodwin-Champions-Museum-Collection-Civil-War-3.jpg

Bug cards are back along with chips of meteorites and other space-related memorabilia. Michael Jordan autographed cards will be part of the insert mix as well.

2012 Goodwin Champions releases in May with 20 packs per box and five cards per pack. There are three hits per box.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
The presidential masterpieces from last year have only appreciated in price since the release.

Kevin

A_Pharis

cmnkb8 said:
morgoth said:
cmnkb8 said:
This product seems more interesting than Allen & Ginter IMO.

You didn't find Bigfoot (truck) and Invisible Man autos interesting?

Yeah a card with a tire track on it and an auto card without an actual auto is awesome! :?

The Invisible Man card did have an auto - it was glow in the dark ink.
That doesn't make it any better, but it did have an auto. ;-)

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
A_Pharis said:
cmnkb8 said:
morgoth said:
cmnkb8 said:

Yeah a card with a tire track on it and an auto card without an actual auto is awesome! :?

The Invisible Man card did have an auto - it was glow in the dark ink.
That doesn't make it any better, but it did have an auto. ;-)

Auto is visible under black light

AG_INVISIBLE_MAN_PSA10.jpg

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Confederate money is on a very short list of "really cool and not very expensive" things out there. I've thought of buying some numerous times just as a talking piece.

One interesting thing I read once about it is that during the war the North would counterfeit the Confederate money to decrease its value. I'm not sure whether there is any great way to tell if it was counterfeited by the North or not, but honestly, who really cares. Still a really cool part of history.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
cmnkb8 said:
morgoth said:
cmnkb8 said:

This is a completely random story, I thought it was kind of interesting though. A friend of mine got to meet Stephen Hawking in the 1980s (back when he could still talk). He was attending aconference at which Stephen Hawking was also attending, story goes that Hawking was just there to listen to the speeches but was so popular with everyone in the crowd that the people giving speeches got pissed off and stopped. Anyways, my friend goes up to Stephen Hawking and says "Hey man can I have your autograph?" to which Hawking replies, "Sure, throw your book on the ground." my friend does, and Stephen Hawking proceeds to run over the guys book. Apparently everyone thought it was hilarious, but my friend now has a book officially ran over by Stephen Hawking.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts